Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:40 PM

27 posts, read 93,199 times

Advertisements

We are a young family with 2 girls (7 and 4) living in Chicago considering moving to either Stamford, CT or Southern California (San Diego, Orange County or north LA if it makes sense). We'd be doing this on our own ... so no job relos etc.

We'd like to know what makes most sense for us. And if someone can give us some pros/cons on each. Important things to us:

a. Schools... Schools... Schools. Good schools are a must
b. Economy (being able to find jobs in IT)
c. Low-crime, safe neighborhoods
d. Family friendly (parks, things for kids to do etc.)

Your Opinions would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Are you saying you have no jobs or the job isn't paying your re-lo?

Both areas are nice, the part of California you are thinking about will be on the conservative side, and I do not think Conn will be, could be wrong. Does that make a difference?

The cost of living will be similar, with utilities being less in Ca but everything else the same and both areas have good schools plus relatively low crime.

Now I read what you are saying, neither area is going to be job friendly regardless of what your field is...You might get lucky, but if I had kids I would never think of moving without a job. In fact I don't think I would move without a job if I didn't have kids.

Nita

Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need2m0ve View Post
We are a young family with 2 girls (7 and 4) living in Chicago considering moving to either Stamford, CT or Southern California (San Diego, Orange County or north LA if it makes sense). We'd be doing this on our own ... so no job relos etc.

We'd like to know what makes most sense for us. And if someone can give us some pros/cons on each. Important things to us:

If you can afford to move on your own to Stamford then you can afford any one of the three areas of CA you listed. You have the advantage of being used to long, cold winters so Stamford should be no hardship. At issue would be whether you wish to live in a comparitively very high crime area in what is fast becoming Northern Mexico with questionable schools, unless you opt for private, or whether you wish to live somewhere with low crime, reasonable diversity and a sense of history and tradition to pass onto your children.

For the record, I was born in San Diego, raised in Orange County, worked in LA, currently live in Northern California, had family in CT where I've spent a fair amount of time and am leaving California in the next few months to retire back in America.

Needless to say, I'd opt for Stamford!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:33 PM

45 posts, read 192,145 times
Connecticut has way better schools, less crime, plenty of parks and family friendly towns. Also, California's economy is in currently in the crapper.
I think CT would be the obvious choice. Another added bonus is that you'll be a short train ride away from the greatest city in the US, New York :-D

Old 06-16-2009, 03:01 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
CA schools are just fine if you live in a nice neighborhood. the problem is that schools in low income neighborhoods (of which there are plenty) are terrible which bring down the averages. being in IT, i can't imagine either economy being any better than the other. CA in general is in a tough spot right now, but i'd imagine that the greater NYC area would be as well with the hit the financial sector has taken in the past year or so.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:03 PM

27 posts, read 93,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Are you saying you have no jobs or the job isn't paying your re-lo?

Both areas are nice, the part of California you are thinking about will be on the conservative side, and I do not think Conn will be, could be wrong. Does that make a difference?

The cost of living will be similar, with utilities being less in Ca but everything else the same and both areas have good schools plus relatively low crime.

Now I read what you are saying, neither area is going to be job friendly regardless of what your field is...You might get lucky, but if I had kids I would never think of moving without a job. In fact I don't think I would move without a job if I didn't have kids.

Nita
I am an independent consultant in the IT area. I would need to find another gig closer to our new location. Until then, I might have the semi-luxury ('cos I'll have to pay for the weekly flights) of commuting to my current gig in Chicago.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need2m0ve View Post

You are ten times more likely to find all these amenities after you find a job than you are finding a job after you find these amenities.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacumen667 View Post
Connecticut has way better schools, less crime, plenty of parks and family friendly towns. Also, California's economy is in currently in the crapper.
I think CT would be the obvious choice. Another added bonus is that you'll be a short train ride away from the greatest city in the US, New York :-D
I think you are generalizing about the schools. Some of the schools in California are among the best in the country, some suck!!! Obviously you miss home a lot huh? Maybe being near NYC isn't what the OP is looking for, none of us know this for sure. Do you know how strong or weak the IT market is in Conn? I certainly don't.

There are lots of positives about Stamford, that is for sure, but I am sure there are negatives as well. \
Nita

Old 06-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You are ten times more likely to find all these amenities after you find a job than you are finding a job after you find these amenities.
good post, I wanted to rep you but you know how that goes, I have to spread it around so guess I will find someone else.

Nita

Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacumen667 View Post
California is huge why are you generalizing as for Connecticuit. Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport etc have a ton of crime and are run down slums with terrible schools. Even Stamford has bad areas. Weather sucks too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California