U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 AM

14,029 posts, read 25,855,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
So you're paying $200.00 a yr for a 85 chevy truck ? I believe thats the commercial rate...right ?
Yes... and there isn't anything I can do about it...

I had a Chevrolet El Camino once and the commercial license fees were exorbitant and and doesn't allow me to park in a commercial zone...

My neighbor has a Ford Excursion he uses for his paint contracting company and he has yet to have commercial plates... same with the Contractors driving Suburbans.

Anyone with a truck newer than 1936 and without a permanently attached camper is commercial in CA...

I was told it essential revenue needed by the state...

CA would be in a world of hurt if the motoring public didn't motor anymore...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-19-2009 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:39 AM

8,327 posts, read 10,322,585 times
The state sure gets billions in revenue from just the cars alone. They also get $8.25 from every car that passes smog plus $1.75 for every new tire bought. They do though put $1.00 of that back into the roads (so they say). Anyways....arnold said he will veto anymore new taxes incl the $15.00 car tax increase,oil tax increase,etc. The legislature had their chance last feb to screw us more then they did. The voters said "no more" last month. Karen (buzzcut) Bass is the democratic ring leader in this new proposed tax increase. The republicans hopefully stick by the gov on this one. We really are being burned here in ca & its all cause the ca legislature & arnold spent much more then the 158 billion dollars they got as revenue. This is totally unbelievable !

Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 AM

7,521 posts, read 8,313,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The state sure gets billions in revenue from just the cars alone. They also get $8.25 from every car that passes smog plus $1.75 for every new tire bought. They do though put $1.00 of that back into the roads (so they say).
It sounds like you're okay with tax dollars being spent on highways and roads, but highways and roads certainly don't turn a profit. Caltrans' highway budget for 2009 was nearly $12 BILLION (not counting public transit, administrative offices, and transportation planning), more than 80 times the budget for State Parks, but other than a handful of toll bridges the highways don't take in ANY money, and they sure as heck don't make a profit. Why don't we shut down the highways for a year instead?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
It sounds like you're okay with tax dollars being spent on highways and roads, but highways and roads certainly don't turn a profit. Caltrans' highway budget for 2009 was nearly $12 BILLION (not counting public transit, administrative offices, and transportation planning), more than 80 times the budget for State Parks, but other than a handful of toll bridges the highways don't take in ANY money, and they sure as heck don't make a profit. Why don't we shut down the highways for a year instead?
I'm all for it... shut down State Highways the minute the fuel "Highway" tax is rescinded.

The sole purpose of the Highway Tax was Roads... now it is used for just about anything the Legislature wants... like ferries on SF Bay

A lot of the budget is going for the new Bay Bridge... many studies said the existing structure could be retro-fitted, but it wouldn't produce the iron worker and construction jobs of building a new, unproven design...

Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,770,380 times
I would like to see the vehicle taxes about twice what they are. Driving is a privilege,kid. Don't forget it.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm all for it... shut down State Highways the minute the fuel "Highway" tax is rescinded.
So I take it you don't use the highways? Or do you mean that you don't mind paying for highways if the fuel tax is not rescinded?

Old 06-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
So I take it you don't use the highways? Or do you mean that you don't mind paying for highways if the fuel tax is not rescinded?
CA is already having trouble funding highways...

Some of the problems are...

Cars are are using less fuel... so less fuel taxes coming in.

People are driving less... so they are buying less fuel.

Highway taxes are diverted to non-highway projects... self explanatory.

Other States have successfully developed the Turnpike of Toll system where those receiving the benefit pay... In general... there is a lot to be said for a pay as you go system...

CA has such a convoluted system of subsidies that it is often hard to follow the money or determine true costs.

Driving as a privilege is a whole other topic...

I worked with a brilliant, but eccentric University Doctor at one time... he did not have a Drivers License and always beat the charge... He did spend time in jail for contempt of court... but the charges were always dropped.

He would cite volumes of Constitutional Law stating the term "Driver" as defined by law applies only to those engage in the transport of goods for hire and not personal or pleasure. He certainly had the courage of his convictions

Old 06-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I would like to see the vehicle taxes about twice what they are. Driving is a privilege,kid. Don't forget it.
I would like to see Sales Taxes on Par with a VAT system... those the consume the most, pay the most... seems only fair.

For many, transportation is not a luxury... it is essential and to restrict a persons freedom of movement is draconian... in my view.

Horses and Buggy days didn't require a license to move about and the early years of the automotive age didn't require a license... which came into being primarily as revenue generating...

Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,135,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
What does it being a privilege have to do with anything? Most everything in any lifestyle is a privilege depending on how you rationalize it. Does that mean all those things should be taxed more? Let's tax sports events more, and movie theater patrons, and comedy club goers. Those are all non-essential just like owning a car.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I would like to see Sales Taxes on Par with a VAT system... those the consume the most, pay the most... seems only fair.

For many, transportation is not a luxury... it is essential and to restrict a persons freedom of movement is draconian... in my view.

Horses and Buggy days didn't require a license to move about and the early years of the automotive age didn't require a license... which came into being primarily as revenue generating...
During "horse and buggy" days, most people didn't get around by horse and buggy--most people didn't even own them. Railroads (privately owned, although often with large public subsidy) were America's main method of long-distance transportation until taxpayer-funded roads, highways and freeways (promoted by automobile companies) took on that role, well into the 20th century. Short-range transportation in the late 19th century was mostly by streetcar, either horse, cable or electric powered. Even that was primarily for the middle class. Working people got around on foot. Back then, stores delivered their wares with horse-drawn carts, and farmers had wagons to carry their goods to market, but most people didn't make enough money to feed and board a horse. The horse-and-buggy crowd were the elite, or at least the moderately wealthy who aspired to the elite. A lot of public roads were toll roads then--but they were often simply unimproved dirt roads, perhaps with logs or some gravel to avoid becoming mud pits too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California