U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:58 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times

Advertisements

It was just a short trip to another state -- our first outside of California in far too many years. We drove from Sacramento to Klamath Falls, Oregon where we spent the night. The next morning we drove up to Crater Lake which I wanted my wife to see. Then it was down the opposite side of the mountain, north to a small town to spend an hour with my wife's cousin whom she hadn't seen in years followed by the 600+ mile trek back home.

We both had the same impressions of the differences between California and Oregon aside from the obvious that the Cascade Mountain areas are lusher and greener than northern California. The air is also cooler and, above all, noticibly cleaner, as were the roadways. The latter were also better maintained. It was smooth going the entire time we were there. In fa t, we found California embarassing. As soon as we entered the state and made our declaration of having no fruit in the car we started hitting road patches and rough spots in the pavement. Welcome to the most car-centric state in the Union -- the one with some of the worst roads.

Within a mile of entering Oregon, coming through the Tuke Lake area, we encountered two gun stores within the first mile. You mean the 2nd Amendment is alive and well in Oregon and real men can hunt and do outdoors things not involving working on their tans and showing off the latest fashions in clothes and dark glasses? What a concept. In fact, I don't recall seeing one metrosexual the whole time we were there.

People actually drive the speed limit there and not everyone seems to be in a rush to their own funeral. Most of them also use their turn indicators. Yet a mile or two into CA the SUVs were whizzing past us and weaving in-and-out, without signals, even when we were staying to the right and going the speed limit of 70. I guess all those drivers had important business to attend to. Pity! There were also spending an average of $.20+ more a gallon for all that gas they were wasting.

There were lots of bugs out on the way up and had I decided to get the car washed while in OR, it would have cost $18.95 for the same services that are $39.99 in Sacramento. We grew hungry on the way to my wife's cousin's home and stopped at a small deli to refuel ourselves. Two hefty deli sandwiches, a bag of good chips and a carton of milk came to $6.57. That's total, not per sandwich. You couldn't even come close here and for that amount at least one of you would have stayed hungry.

A brief respite from the heat, crowds, traffic and smog of Sacramento but very telling in the obvious differences. We both arrived home with a heightened awareness and renewed determination to move elsewhere. August can't come soon enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,433,843 times
Your comparison is mainly an urban vs rural one, not really a CA vs OR one. You could have just gone to the Redwood Coast of CA and made the same observations.

Also you need to shop around for a better deal on a car wash, I get my car washed and vacuumed for $12.

Last edited by sav858; 06-25-2009 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're comparison is mainly an urban vs rural one, not really a CA vs OR one. You could have just gone to the Redwood Coast of CA and made the same observations.

Also you need to shop around for a better deal on a car wash, I get my car washed and vacuumed for $12.
Nope! The differences between rural northern California and rural southern Oregon were pronounced. Our last trip was up the Redwood Coast so we're familiar with how it differs from Sacramento.

All three full service car washes in and near downtown Sacramento run about the same.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:43 PM

We'll you see what you want to see. And considering all the anti-CA rants you post it doesn't surprise me one bit that you would see things this way w/o recognizing the obvious difference that you are comparing a rural area with a urban area. We all know CA is the ONLY place in America with heat, traffic, smog, and crowds. I mean no other state has areas like that at all. I heard they outlawed traffic and crowds in Portland so you won't find them their either.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:50 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,944,481 times
Everything you stated about California is in direct relation to it being a more populous state that attracts people from everywhere to it, Oregon is awesome but doesn't have the same appeal.

California has pot holes, correlates to cars, correlates to more people.
California has higher prices, correlates to more people.
California is tight on guns because it has gang problems, correlates to more people.

Like Sav is saying, why don't you compare Sacramento to Portland or Bend?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Like Sav is saying, why don't you compare Sacramento to Portland or Bend?
Because I wasn't comparing southern Oregon to Sacramento. I was comparing northern California to southern Oregon.

Strange as it may seem, I do know the difference between an urban environment and a rural one and I also know there is no comparisopn to be had.

Perhaps Sav missed the part where I said we drove from Sacramento. That means we were no longer in it and in no way was I comparing Klamath Falls to Sacramento.

It's all simply one man's opinion anyway.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:38 PM

1,870 posts, read 3,445,451 times
Your observation was identical to mine. Instantly noted differences when crossing border on the 97. Maintenance of roads and cleanliness of restrooms are quite obvious. Maybe in Oregon they actually use the money earmarked FOR roads ON roads.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Because I wasn't comparing southern Oregon to Sacramento. I was comparing northern California to southern Oregon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
A brief respite from the heat, crowds, traffic and smog of Sacramento but very telling in the obvious differences. !
Okay, I guess that's not a comparison there. But keep telling yourself whatever you need to, you seem to do a good job at that.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:27 PM

26,134 posts, read 28,529,259 times
I've never paid even $18.99 for a car was let alone $39.99. I'm not saying things aren't bad here, but I think you're blowing things out of proportion.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:37 PM

2,072 posts, read 11,084,325 times
Car wash here - $8.00 on Ladies Day, which is every Wednesday. The price includes vacumming and it is NOT a "do-it-yourself" car wash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California