Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:17 PM

115 posts, read 323,554 times

Advertisements

Looking at going to grad school in Santa Barbara next year? I don't even want to know - how is traffic, commute since I would need to be living in Egypt to afford to live there. Would be relocating from Colorado - have about 100K saved, not touching my 401Ks.

I am trying to find some other programs - I think there is one program in Pasadena. Wish there was something in Sacramento - I have heard it is more reasonable than some of the other places.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 11:29 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
If you're tired of cold weather, Santa Barbara's average winter low is low 40's, while the high is around the mid 60's during winter. Pasadena would definently give a big city feel. I love Sacramento, very wide open and it's a very gorgeous city, including downtown. It's more rural, if that's your dig.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:39 AM

36 posts, read 208,420 times
Are you asking about the commute into SB from neighboring cities? If so there is a bit of a rush hour clog in before and after work hours but nothing as bad as the all hours clog down in LA. Are you thinking of UCSB? How do you feel about getting a craigslist roommate near the university?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:22 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Default Traffic is busy, but area is small

Santa Barbara has its share of traffic, but the area is not very big geographically. If you're planning to live in the SB area, you can even get by without a car. If you’re attending the Pacifica Institute, it has a private shuttle service.

However, as others have posted here, the problem is commuting into SB from Ventura County and north SB County. You'll be joining around 30,000 other individuals who need to be in SB/Goleta daily for work and school. You do have commuting options both from the north and south, and I would highly recommend seeking those out for our own sanity's sake.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:55 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,779 times
Are you saying it is cold in SB? Much colder then Santa Monica? We are still considering a move there, but still want the winter sun (we live close to the water in LA), and some warmth from the sun versus a colder Carmel.) I do like the fact that SB is colder, but is it that much colder? Under 50 for us S. California folks is freezing !! Atleast it is to me these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
If you're tired of cold weather, Santa Barbara's average winter low is low 40's, while the high is around the mid 60's during winter. Pasadena would definently give a big city feel. I love Sacramento, very wide open and it's a very gorgeous city, including downtown. It's more rural, if that's your dig.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:02 PM

36 posts, read 208,420 times
Fairweather, unless you are planning on sleeping out side, SB should be warm enough. We did have a little dusting of snow on the mountaintops this April but it was just pretty to look at and wearing a jacket in the evening is more a matter of fashion than need.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Ah, perfection . . . sounds just as I have experienced SB in the past. The snow must have been beautiful. Thank you goatherder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatherder View Post
Fairweather, unless you are planning on sleeping out side, SB should be warm enough. We did have a little dusting of snow on the mountaintops this April but it was just pretty to look at and wearing a jacket in the evening is more a matter of fashion than need.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,279 times
Do you know anything about Pacifica Institute's reputation? Will I be able to find a job afterwards? How are the professor? I want to apply for a PHD program for mythology.
What about living in SB? How much for a family of three? How much if I just commute?
Thanks
John

Old 11-16-2007, 06:04 AM

188 posts, read 989,282 times
Why would you need to be living in Egypt to afford to live there? ????? I didn't know that Egypt had a better economy than America? Please explain.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:08 PM

My brother went there for his second Masters degree and PHD and he really loved it and felt he got a lot out of it. (His previous degrees were in the sciences and he was already a great success in the work world, when in college before, and in life so I value his judgement and opinions.) I know he really enjoyed the professors and his studies at Pacifica and I also enjoyed hearing all about what he was studying/reading/writing about and also the students and many of the faculty I met.

As far as a job. While there are many SB and surrounding area locals that attend Pacifica, many also commute (fly in/drive in) from around the country. Which also makes it even more enriching. So as far as jobs and focuses regarding degrees the job issue is tough to answer. It really comes down to area of your degree and the norm for the profession more than anything such as: will you be teaching (if so what level?), will you go into private practice as a therapist (if so what sort of focus?), do you want to write instead professionally or be a lecturer etc? The answer to these questions are probably more critical about whether there are jobs locally in SB--unless you are just asking about jobs that are general until you start working in the area that you will be majoring in. Or even in answering how people fare job wise in their field after the program.

With a few exceptions degrees are degrees these days and fields are fields. I am sure as you know many times getting a job after any degree has to do with a person's motivation, commitment, and job availability for that field versus where one got the degree. Of course the exception being the alum. clubs (USC in LA/UW in Seattle etc) or an Ivy League degree--even then do the people hiring like you? Do you present yourself as qualified in the interview and on paper? Some may hate a Harvard graduate just because they are from Harvard and want someone from a more 'interesting' school as well as just the opposite. There are all types hiring out there. With the exception of getting a Masters degree at USC, I have always gone to smaller more interesting, even experimental schools. It has always served in my best interest and has always helped me professionally, as well as personally. If people want an Ivy league degreed graduate do you really want to work for them anyway? (My assumption is your undergrad degree is not from an Ivy. So please excuse me if I have made a silly assumption. There is not a thing wrong with an Ivy league education. It is something to be proud of yes, but it is just not the norm. Nor are fun and interesting places like Pacifica! By the way my brother worked his butt off while he was there with his Master's thesis and PHD dissertation.) I hope this is helpful. Others will do a better job of discussing the status of general job availability in SB overall as well as the cost of living.

Good luck if you decide to attend. It is a lovely and beautiful campus right next to the polo fields. The Joseph Campbell Library is to die for!!! My visits there to be with and to support my brother inspired my move to Santa Barbara from Los Angeles which will be soon .

By the way where will you be commuting from as you asked about costs. Because SB is so expensive and many students do commute, it may be less expensive to commute than live there. They are set up for students that commute as well as just serving the local population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chung View Post
Do you know anything about Pacifica Institute's reputation? Will I be able to find a job afterwards? How are the professor? I want to apply for a PHD program for mythology.
What about living in SB? How much for a family of three? How much if I just commute?
Thanks
John

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 11-16-2007 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California