U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times

Advertisements

How like the Governor's Office to announce late Friday afternoon the possibility of a third furlough day per month, without pay, for state employees. Have a nice weekend, y'all!

Now I realize that there's not always much, if any, sympathy for state workers but there should at least be some compassion.

Consider those who are entry level Office Assistants. This is a class often filled by the young who are just getting started in their working lives. Oftentimes they are young, single mothers trying to carve out a decent life for their child(ren). They start out at between $2,074 and $2,123 a month which is nothing in California -- about $12 an hour. From that little bit they pay state and federal taxes, pay into their retirements as well as union dues, Social Security, Medicare and health benefits. It doesn't leave a whole lot and depending on where they live they may also have to pay for parking or pay for bus fare or vanpools.

Now imagine that same person losing about $300 a month (roughly 14%) of their already modest wages. Now they're down to a bit over $10 an hour but their obligations aren't reduced.

If I was still working as a senior manager my "hit" would have been just over $1,000 a month. We'd have survived but it would have been at the expense of savings and investments for our future. I guess I retired at just the right time but I can't help feeling very worried about and sorry for many of my former employees who are being and could be further affected by the Legislature's inability to do what they're paid to do and pass a reasonable budget that isn't all smoke and mirrors.

How much more are the state workers supposed to accept before state services and oversight collapse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 12:49 AM

241 posts, read 714,394 times
I agree it hits the low paid workers hard. I know a few people that I go to school with who are low paid state workers and they are already making a low wage so it is really hard for them as well. I was talking to my elderly neighbor and she said that medical will no longer be paying for her dental care. So go figure.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:12 AM

30,702 posts, read 33,496,337 times
I do feel bad for them, but not as bad as I do for people who actually lost their job....permenently. The sad truth is that if a 3 day furlough makes you loose your house or car or starve you are living too close to the edge and should probably think about changing something.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:10 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,127,425 times
A 3 day furlough means our take home is down by 15%. We have clerks in our office who only MAKE $29K. You bet it makes a difference. I really resent scolding by people who make more than we do that we're not managing our affairs. Have YOU lost 15% of YOUR salary without notice.?? Do you have kids,mortgages,car payments? Unless you're walking in our shoes, maybe you could spare us your opinions on how we're coping. Thank you so very much.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:15 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,127,425 times
Another point that seems to be missed is that these furloughs don't only affect the State workers,they affect everyone who does business or receives services from the State and needs timely action. Ain't gonna happen when 15% of the staff are gone.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
A 3 day furlough means our take home is down by 15%. We have clerks in our office who only MAKE $29K. You bet it makes a difference. I really resent scolding by people who make more than we do that we're not managing our affairs. Have YOU lost 15% of YOUR salary without notice.?? Do you have kids,mortgages,car payments? Unless you're walking in our shoes, maybe you could spare us your opinions on how we're coping. Thank you so very much.
I agree with you. Some people are so insensitive and always have a negative comment. Anything can happen to anybody. Nobody wants to hear all that crap when their pay was cut. Whether losing a job or hours getting cut its almost the same thing and nets the same result: you are unable to pay your bills and start losing stuff. I hope nothing happens to people making insensitive comments.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Another point that seems to be missed is that these furloughs don't only affect the State workers,they affect everyone who does business or receives services from the State and needs timely action. Ain't gonna happen when 15% of the staff are gone.
I bet that the people making the most noise about state workers will be the main ones complaining when lines are long or phones dont get answered when they are trying to conduct business with the state.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:45 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
I bet that the people making the most noise about state workers will be the main ones complaining when lines are long or phones dont get answered when they are trying to conduct business with the state.
No doubt! That's usually the way it is.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM

350 posts, read 1,015,125 times
I work for the State. There is a lot of dead wood. They need to get rid of these positions and people who don't have anything to do, or have the "I work for the state so I'll work really slow" mentality. They need to start with CPHCS (prison health care services). What a joke!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 PM

4,095 posts, read 7,795,432 times
This furlough thing is really a blessing in disguise. Take the time off and enjoy it with your family. Go to the beach. Help your children with their homework. Volunteer your time at the local charity. These are things only time makes possible and money can't buy. I would say two 3-day weekend a month while still having a job to go to is a far better deal than the what unemployed are getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or