U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-27-2009, 10:49 PM

241 posts, read 488,173 times
Default Healthcare workers sue state over pay

I have a classmate whom I study with that is a home care worker and she goes above and beyond her duties to care for an elderly 90-year woman who is in a wheelchair and has no family. She makes $11.50 an hour but I think she said they are going to cut their pay to $8.00 or $9.00 I am not sure. They already reduced her hours from 129 to 87 She will be resigning as soon as he finds other employment. I do believe that many of these homecare workers will quit especially if they dont have many hours to begin with. It will not be worth it. What will all these sick, disabled senior citizens do without these healthcare workers, go to a convalescent homes and cost the state more money? Its not like they can take care of themselves and those that do have family I am sure they have to work also. I dont know. What are the alternatives, I know the state needs to cut programs. Any thoughts? Here is the article from Contra Costa Times.

OAKLAND State officials vow to appeal a federal judge's injunction halting a July 1 salary cut for many of California's 400,000 In-Home Supportive Services workers.
U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken of Oakland issued a preliminary injunction late Thursday, shortly after hearing arguments from the Service Employees International Union which along with IHSS clients from around the state had sued to stop the cut and from the state.
The injunction says the state can't make the cut without first analyzing its impact on the efficiency, economy, quality and accessibility of care.
"I'm very happy that the Court has ruled in favor of the thousands of elderly and disabled persons who depend on home care workers like myself," Jimi Williams, a Contra Costa County home care worker, said in the union's news release.
But state Department of Finance spokesman H.D. Palmer said Friday said the Schwarzenegger administration "can't imagine a legal interpretation that would prevent the state from moving forward to implement this."
As soon as Wilken issues a written opinion to support the injunction, the state will seek a stay from the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Palmer said: "We fully expect this decision will be overturned on appeal."
Palmer said the IHSS reduction will save the state $98.1 million in the coming fiscal year.
Such a cut would cause many providers to quit, the union argued in its May 26
Advertisement
[CENTER][/CENTER]

complaint, and so "(m)any consumers would be unable to hire IHSS providers and would either be deprived of critical IHSS services or be forced into nursing homes."

This amounts to a violation of the Medicaid Act and the Americans With Disabilities Act, the union argued.
The state had argued it has no control over IHSS wages other than to require that counties pay at least the minimum wage, so counties are free to choose to pay more as the state shrinks its share of the funding. It also argued IHSS wages and benefits ultimately are set by collective bargaining between counties and the providers unions', and that there's no evidence that any IHSS client would lose services as a result of the cutbacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:32 PM

1,030 posts, read 782,008 times
The days of living in the fluffy white clouds are over in California.

CA is a classic example of why liberals cannot run a government. For years California has lived above its means both privately and publically. Not enough taxes to pay for all of the services. Its that simple. Too much bureaucracy.

Theres nothing left we can do except to trim the fat and maintain or even reduce taxation, or increase taxation and keep the fat. California is already one of the highest taxed states in the nation. We don't need a tax increase, that will only further kill our economy by sending more businesses out of state. We need to reduce the size of the state government. Its that simple.

Sorry to hear about your story, but thats reality. The fact that they are SUING over their pay is absolutely ridiculous and self-centered. I hope healthcare workers get cut entirely for that kind of crap... unbelievable

Minus the obvious liberal twist at the end, this is a good article to read... http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2038455.story

Last edited by ryanst530; 06-27-2009 at 11:49 PM..

Old 06-28-2009, 03:29 AM

8,267 posts, read 9,405,841 times
The health care workers have to pay a $30.00 month union fee to the greedy union if you work 16 hrs or more per month. So if the pay is reduced to $8.00 hour you gotta work nearly 4 hrs to give to the thieving union. When i worked for IHSS some yrs back they stole $20.00 month from me & told me its legal. My hrs got cut every yr though & was earning about $1.50 above min wage. I DONT trust the union. Actually i DONT trust any unions.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:37 AM

27,394 posts, read 21,065,818 times
The doctors are already suing bc they are no longer allowed to send bills to patients for their services...let's see how many more doctors flee the state...

Old 06-28-2009, 11:28 AM

241 posts, read 488,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The health care workers have to pay a $30.00 month union fee to the greedy union if you work 16 hrs or more per month. So if the pay is reduced to $8.00 hour you gotta work nearly 4 hrs to give to the thieving union. When i worked for IHSS some yrs back they stole $20.00 month from me & told me its legal. My hrs got cut every yr though & was earning about $1.50 above min wage. I DONT trust the union. Actually i DONT trust any unions.
Wow, I really commend those healthcare workers because that is a job I could not do especially for that pay. Its like being a maid, butler, CNA all in one and for $8.00 a hour. And my friend didnt have that many hours to begin with so she has to find a full-time job ASAP!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:36 AM

47,314 posts, read 37,313,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
Wow, I really commend those healthcare workers because that is a job I could not do especially for that pay. Its like being a maid, butler, CNA all in one and for $8.00 a hour. And my friend didnt have that many hours to begin with so she has to find a full-time job ASAP!
Our granddaughter did home health care while she was in college, she had the same patient for a year and her pay, $9.00 an hour. I grant you it was here in AR. It can be a very trying job, still I am not sure sueing or whateve will be successful. The state is broke, where will the money come from. My brother works for the city of Los Angeles. He is close to retirement, is having similar problems, same, not much that can to done except threats.

California is just a mess, what a shame!!!

You mention your friend will be changing jobs, good luck...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California