U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Knoxville
19 posts, read 28,726 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

My fiancé and I currently live in Knoxville, TN. We live in a downtown loft overlooking the city park. We are within a 10 -20 minute walk of the center of the University, downtown, and the river. We are also a 5 – 15 minute drive from several grocery stores and a mall. However, as nice as it sounds there are some negatives:

1) The political environment in this city, county, and state is quite conservative. Now I’m all for fiscally conservative spending; however, this state takes social conservatism to an entirely different level. Recently, the state passed several new gun laws. One allows those with a permit to carry a loaded weapon in parks. The second allowed those with permits to carry weapons into bars/restaurants. What is appalling to me is the fact that just six months ago a man walked into a Unitarian Universalist Church in downtown and shot and killed two people (because they were liberals and he was having trouble finding a job). Stupidity? Yes!

2) Now, as the state continues to grow, it’s only logical to assume a state sales tax of 9.5% is not going to sustain a growing budget (especially in tougher times – money is tight). However, the state will never-ever-ever pass any sort of state income tax to supplement and put the majority of the stress on healthcare and education. This is the same state that has possibly the nicest interstate system in the country. (I feel like priorities are a bit off)

3) Sprawl, sprawl, sprawl. The entire city is a sprawl city. The only walkable section is downtown and the campus. Many of the surrounding suburbs are Wal-Mart towns and the only moderately thriving cities are sad attempts towards sustainability.

4) Pollution – water and air – are as bad as anywhere in the country. So, many coal plants and so many commuters travelling through this state.

5) The final issue kind of relates to the first – this is the Bible belt and it is very, very known. Quite annoying.

Now, the list of wants for my fiancé and I are quite complex. Money is not an issue. Employment is also not an issue, self-employed.

1) Preferably we want to be in a smaller community (below 200,000).
2) My fiancé is an artist, so we are looking for a community that is supporting all the arts.
3) Family friendly, good for kids. We do not have children, but we plan on having one in the near future.
4) Walkable, walkable, walkable. I’m willing to drive some, but I would prefer to walk.
5) We will look mostly to move into a home (small backyard, we have dogs)
6) Progressive – liberal leaning area
7) We both like boating on the lake (not a must)
8) Not a big fan of San Diego – jave stay in Rancho Santa Fe and visited Otay Ranch. Not a big fan of the auto-based life there.
9) Being a drive or metro trip away from the city is no biggie
10) Weather wise, just get me away from the humidity.

If anyone has suggestions it is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have stayed in Davis and enjoyed it, but did not get to really explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2009, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,964 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Reputation: 41769
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.t.malone View Post
My fiancé and I currently live in Knoxville, TN. We live in a downtown loft overlooking the city park. We are within a 10 -20 minute walk of the center of the University, downtown, and the river. We are also a 5 – 15 minute drive from several grocery stores and a mall. However, as nice as it sounds there are some negatives:

1) The political environment in this city, county, and state is quite conservative. Now I’m all for fiscally conservative spending; however, this state takes social conservatism to an entirely different level. Recently, the state passed several new gun laws. One allows those with a permit to carry a loaded weapon in parks. The second allowed those with permits to carry weapons into bars/restaurants. What is appalling to me is the fact that just six months ago a man walked into a Unitarian Universalist Church in downtown and shot and killed two people (because they were liberals and he was having trouble finding a job). Stupidity? Yes!

2) Now, as the state continues to grow, it’s only logical to assume a state sales tax of 9.5% is not going to sustain a growing budget (especially in tougher times – money is tight). However, the state will never-ever-ever pass any sort of state income tax to supplement and put the majority of the stress on healthcare and education. This is the same state that has possibly the nicest interstate system in the country. (I feel like priorities are a bit off)

3) Sprawl, sprawl, sprawl. The entire city is a sprawl city. The only walkable section is downtown and the campus. Many of the surrounding suburbs are Wal-Mart towns and the only moderately thriving cities are sad attempts towards sustainability.

4) Pollution – water and air – are as bad as anywhere in the country. So, many coal plants and so many commuters travelling through this state.

5) The final issue kind of relates to the first – this is the Bible belt and it is very, very known. Quite annoying.

Now, the list of wants for my fiancé and I are quite complex. Money is not an issue. Employment is also not an issue, self-employed.

1) Preferably we want to be in a smaller community (below 200,000).
2) My fiancé is an artist, so we are looking for a community that is supporting all the arts.
3) Family friendly, good for kids. We do not have children, but we plan on having one in the near future.
4) Walkable, walkable, walkable. I’m willing to drive some, but I would prefer to walk.
5) We will look mostly to move into a home (small backyard, we have dogs)
6) Progressive – liberal leaning area
7) We both like boating on the lake (not a must)
8) Not a big fan of San Diego – jave stay in Rancho Santa Fe and visited Otay Ranch. Not a big fan of the auto-based life there.
9) Being a drive or metro trip away from the city is no biggie
10) Weather wise, just get me away from the humidity.

If anyone has suggestions it is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have stayed in Davis and enjoyed it, but did not get to really explore.
ok, a couple of things, 9.5% sales tax is high, do you have any idea what it is in California plus income tax added..??

What about careers, you need to make a living and that is not easy in California right now. I am looking at your desires and am not sure where would be a good place for you..

Sonoma is very nice nice, that is a possiblity but your problem will lie with any form of conservatism. Have you thought about any other states, maybe New Mexico??/ Great weather and lots of artsy areas.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM
 
Location: RSM
5,113 posts, read 17,462,901 times
Reputation: 1892
CA is the definition of sprawl, pollution, taxation, and misguided legislators. Look elsewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Baywood Park
1,634 posts, read 6,043,109 times
Reputation: 694
San Luis Obispo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,447,041 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
CA is the definition of sprawl, pollution, taxation, and misguided legislators. Look elsewhere
i am so tired of people responding like this.
someone, for his own valid reasons, wants to move to california and you and other posters disrespect him either by telling him that he's crazy and should go elsewhere or, even though the poster has given a detailed post regarding his criteria, some folks feel compelled to ask him about his career, inform him about sales tax, etc., etc.
geez, have some respect.
he's asking for help and gets a bitter response.
and it's not all about the economy!
if i were a first time poster here and got these kinds of responses, i wouldn't return.
anyway, robert t. malone, there are places in california that fit your criteria.
the unfortunate thing is that the areas that i would recommend have homes that are very expensive.
i can't remember if you said if your were thinking of buying or not.
i'm in santa cruz county and it's a beautiful, liberal, creative, tolerant and friendly place .... on the coast of the central coast of california and less than 2 hours south of san francisco.
the one and only complaint that i have is that housing is expensive ... whether you're renting or buying.
i have to go now but will post more tomorrow if i'm able to and i hope some positive people come along and give you some guidance because what you're looking for is not impossible.
buying a home however, in the kind of community that you're looking for might be depending on what your financial situation is.
welcome in advance to california!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 PM
 
1,158 posts, read 3,373,749 times
Reputation: 758
Like Nita said, New Mexico. Maybe Taos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Knoxville
19 posts, read 28,726 times
Reputation: 13
Default Thanks for the responses...

BTW - I stated money is not an issue. I wrote about the sales tax, because I feel the tax is an ineffective way to balance a state budget. (too many variables).

I am looking to buy a home - preferably around 4+ beds and 3.5 baths. Now I am looking for a place that meets the majority of what I listed. If the city government is a bit conservative, that's fine. I am just wanting to get away from the 70 - 30, R - D ratios in Knoxville. I'm simply wanting a more open minded city, artistic. And I prefer walkability or some sort of decent transit (trolly, metro, etc.)

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 07:00 AM
 
Location: United States
2,497 posts, read 6,404,466 times
Reputation: 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.t.malone View Post
BTW - I stated money is not an issue. I wrote about the sales tax, because I feel the tax is an ineffective way to balance a state budget. (too many variables).

I am looking to buy a home - preferably around 4+ beds and 3.5 baths. Now I am looking for a place that meets the majority of what I listed. If the city government is a bit conservative, that's fine. I am just wanting to get away from the 70 - 30, R - D ratios in Knoxville. I'm simply wanting a more open minded city, artistic. And I prefer walkability or some sort of decent transit (trolly, metro, etc.)

Thanks again.
What I think your trying to get away from is...the SOUTH
That's the southern way in many areas down there, and pretty much like that in the midwest as well.
If money is not a big factor (assuming you have lots of it) I would move to Burbank or Pasadena.
Yeah I live in gun country too and it's nerve racking to have all these half assed dummies running around strapped with a loaded death machine. Quite scary when one may snap. I'm not for it.
Good luck to you. I think you will be a good fit in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,262 posts, read 16,373,336 times
Reputation: 10042
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
San Luis Obispo
Yes!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,964 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Reputation: 41769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
What I think your trying to get away from is...the SOUTH
That's the southern way in many areas down there, and pretty much like that in the midwest as well.
If money is not a big factor (assuming you have lots of it) I would move to Burbank or Pasadena.
Yeah I live in gun country too and it's nerve racking to have all these half assed dummies running around strapped with a loaded death machine. Quite scary when one may snap. I'm not for it.
Good luck to you. I think you will be a good fit in California
I don't think either Burbank or Pasadena would be considered very artsy and that was one freature he is looking for.

As for gun laws, some are so open it is scary, but people who are out to kill and especially nutty ones that shoot up churches will continue to do so regardless of any gun control or lack of same.

We have never owned a gun, hubby does not hunt and I wouldn't want one, but I was raised in a family of hunters. My younger brother loves to target practice, thus I see both sides of the story.

Will California be a good fit for the OP, maybe, but I don't think So California will plus he says he is fiscally conservative, Ca is not conservative in anyway.

OP, if you are bound and determine to come to California I would suggest you consentrate on some of the areas in the northern part of the state.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top