U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 PM
 
13 posts, read 41,648 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Lets look at Stockton crime this way. Stockton's crime rate is almost exactly the same as Buffalo's. So it depends upon how you feel about where you are now.

2007 city-data.com crime index
Buffalo 699.3
Stockton 707.4
Modesto 494.2
That info is not accurate at all. Here is some more accurate information. This is just to compare Modesto to other California cities:

Modesto - 8,412.1
Stanislaus County - 6,188.6

Stockton - 9,401.0
San Joaquin County - 5.043.4

Oakland - 8,011.3
Alameda County - 3,958.6

Los Angeles - 5,064.3
Los Angeles County - 3,388.3

California, Disaster News, Weather, History, Message Board

Modesto ranked a 3 out of 100 in safety. Check this out:

Modesto crime rates and statistics - Neighborhood Scout

Riverside crime rates and statistics - Neighborhood Scout

Buffalo crime rates and statistics - Neighborhood Scout

Stockton crime rates and statistics - Neighborhood Scout

Wikipedia:

The area is plagued by some of the worst air quality in the nation, on occasion surpassing even that of Los Angeles. Modesto had the highest auto theft per capita rate in the United States five of the last six years. Its suburbs are among the most impoverished in the nation, ranking sixth poorest out of the 100 largest metro areas. It is a major meth distribution hub and was considered for many years to be the "Methamphetamine Capital of the World." In 2007, Modesto was named last in a list of best American cities in Cities Ranked & Rated, 2nd Edition[1] Number 23 on the top 400 most dangerious metropolitan areas in 2007 Morgan Quitno[2] (it ranked 16th in 2006[3] and 39th in 2008[4]). In 2009, Forbes Magazine ranked Modesto the worst metro area with over 500,000 residents[5] just months after placing it 5th on the list of most miserable American cities.[6]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2009, 03:02 PM
 
7 posts, read 27,736 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't know a ton about either place, but have been to both, and lived in Fresno for 34 years. They both have smog. They are both hot. I am not a big fan of LA, so I would choose Modesto. I'd rather be close to San Francisco than LA, and you can get more house for your money there. I find it hard to believe that there are NO houses in your price range, but who knows? I've never looked.
As strange as it sounds, there are either very expensive (800k or over) or very inexpensive (below 300k).

Again, strangely enough, there are a lot of very nice houses in the 500k to 700k range in the Inland Empire area. As I said previously, in Modesto, there's little difference between the houses in the 500ks vs 300ks.. and there are occasionally fairly decent houses in the low 200k range.

The problem seems now that we are actively searching for houses, the housing fever of California appears to be reigniting in the Inland Empire area. Lots of "pending" and "back up offers" including lots of talk of bidding wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 03:06 PM
 
7 posts, read 27,736 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideModesto View Post
That info is not accurate at all. Here is some more accurate information. This is just to compare Modesto to other California cities:

Modesto - 8,412.1
Stanislaus County - 6,188.6

Stockton - 9,401.0
San Joaquin County - 5.043.4

Oakland - 8,011.3
Alameda County - 3,958.6

Los Angeles - 5,064.3
Los Angeles County - 3,388.3

California, Disaster News, Weather, History, Message Board

Modesto ranked a 3 out of 100 in safety. Check this out:

Modesto crime rates and statistics - Neighborhood Scout

Riverside crime rates and statistics - Neighborhood Scout

Buffalo crime rates and statistics - Neighborhood Scout

Stockton crime rates and statistics - Neighborhood Scout

Wikipedia:

The area is plagued by some of the worst air quality in the nation, on occasion surpassing even that of Los Angeles. Modesto had the highest auto theft per capita rate in the United States five of the last six years. Its suburbs are among the most impoverished in the nation, ranking sixth poorest out of the 100 largest metro areas. It is a major meth distribution hub and was considered for many years to be the "Methamphetamine Capital of the World." In 2007, Modesto was named last in a list of best American cities in Cities Ranked & Rated, 2nd Edition[1] Number 23 on the top 400 most dangerious metropolitan areas in 2007 Morgan Quitno[2] (it ranked 16th in 2006[3] and 39th in 2008[4]). In 2009, Forbes Magazine ranked Modesto the worst metro area with over 500,000 residents[5] just months after placing it 5th on the list of most miserable American cities.[6]

Very nice research. For all practical purposes, it appears Riverside and Modesto are in the same "ball park" when it comes to crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 05:02 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 3,669,932 times
Reputation: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideModesto View Post
That info is not accurate at all. Here is some more accurate information. This is just to compare Modesto to other California cities:
This thread is not about Modesto vs. Stockton. I don't know why you copied and pasted my reply from another thread to here. But OK, lets talk about those numbers and Modesto vs. Riverside which is this thread.

The numbers I posted in that thread are accurate from the source.

I posted city-data's crime index that this site calculates so that you can compare cities that are different population sizes. It is not the number of crimes in each city but rather this website's comparison method.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Modesto-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Stockton-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Riverside-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Buffalo-New-York.html

We are on city-data.com's forum so I felt we should include their comparison methods.

But if you don't like their method then lets go to the most recent raw data.

The FBI data for 2008 (the latest info) shows this using the FBI classification method (violent crime is the total occurances of murder, rape, robbery and assault, property crime is the total occurances of burglary, theft, car theft and arson), I included a few other cities :

Modesto (pop 205,750) Violent crimes = 1,439; Property crime = 10,874
Riverside (pop 299,384) Violent crimes = 1,922; Property crime = 11,059

Stockton (pop 293,073) Violent crimes = 4,322; Property crime = 17,955
Sacramento (pop 467,065) Violent crimes = 4,660; Property crime = 22,499
Oakland (pop 401,857) Violent crimes = 7,905; Property crime = 21,488
Los Angeles (pop 3,850,920) Violent crimes = 26,553; Property crime = 100,821

Buffalo NY (pop 270,289) Violent crimes = 3,717; Property crime = 15,474

But each of those are just totals, you also need to take into account the differences in population size before making judgments.

Individual numbers for each of the 8 crimes examined in the FBI groupings are also available at:
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/08aprelim/table_4.html

If you want to disagree with these numbers, then take it up with the FBI.

Last edited by FresnoFacts; 07-08-2009 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 3,669,932 times
Reputation: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
The problem seems now that we are actively searching for houses, the housing fever of California appears to be reigniting in the Inland Empire area. Lots of "pending" and "back up offers" including lots of talk of bidding wars.
Although there are lots of offers, houses are not necessarily closing.

My Inland Empire real estate contacts tell me if a house is bank-owned it is taking a long time for a decision, especially with out-of-state mortgage holders.

Because of the time line some potential buyers quit waiting and walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
 
Location: lala land
1,581 posts, read 1,987,824 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
If you want to disagree with these numbers, then take it up with the FBI.
I just read some police reports from the Turlock PD (just outside Modesto) from the past month. From what I can see, most of the violent crime is domestic. Meaning its a husband/boyfriend hitting his wife/gf or visa versa. And most of the property crime involves someone trying to steal from Target/Khol's/Walmart. While these types of crimes can be dangerous, I think in general people are more afraid of random acts of violence. So even though the statistics are helpful I think we have to be mindful of what they represent and not jump to conclusions just based on the numbers alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Lake Conroe, Tx
637 posts, read 2,008,560 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Neither.


I would have to agree completely with this. If you've got 600-650K to spend you can do a lot better than either oe of these places.

Asking whether you should move to riverslime or modesto is like asking if you want punched in the face or the belly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,239 posts, read 4,471,091 times
Reputation: 4181
It's relatively not smoggy in South West Riverside County (for CA). This is a fact reported on in newspapers.

Besides, LA is ranked the worst county in SoCal for health risks from bad air quality, and San Bernardino is the worst for overall smog, with Fresno in second place (for whoever implied it's worse in Riverside than in Fresno - riiight ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
 
Location: lala land
1,581 posts, read 1,987,824 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
It's relatively not smoggy in South West Riverside County (for CA). This is a fact reported on in newspapers.

Besides, LA is ranked the worst county in SoCal for health risks from bad air quality, and San Bernardino is the worst for overall smog, with Fresno in second place (for whoever implied it's worse in Riverside than in Fresno - riiight ).

I didn't imply it, I said it explicitly. I lived for 7 years in Southern California, and I finally moved when I realized I was making myself miserable by staying there. There are two place I would even consider living in S.Cal - that is Agua Dulce and Calibasas. The rest of it just feels like one big giant maze. I have been asked multiple times by friends if I will come back, and I always tell them I left for good.

At least Fresno is close to the mountains, close to some open space. It doesn't feel suffocating. Within minutes I can be hiking through the foothills - and within an hour I can be in the mountains.

I think it just depends on what appeals to you. If you like tons of people, concrete, asphalt, and hyper materialism - than yea, LA is the place for you to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 08:40 PM
 
13 posts, read 41,648 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
This thread is not about Modesto vs. Stockton. I don't know why you copied and pasted my reply from another thread to here. But OK, lets talk about those numbers and Modesto vs. Riverside which is this thread.

The numbers I posted in that thread are accurate from the source.

I posted city-data's crime index that this site calculates so that you can compare cities that are different population sizes. It is not the number of crimes in each city but rather this website's comparison method.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Modesto-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Stockton-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Riverside-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Buffalo-New-York.html

We are on city-data.com's forum so I felt we should include their comparison methods.

But if you don't like their method then lets go to the most recent raw data.

The FBI data for 2008 (the latest info) shows this using the FBI classification method (violent crime is the total occurances of murder, rape, robbery and assault, property crime is the total occurances of burglary, theft, car theft and arson), I included a few other cities :

Modesto (pop 205,750) Violent crimes = 1,439; Property crime = 10,874
Riverside (pop 299,384) Violent crimes = 1,922; Property crime = 11,059

Stockton (pop 293,073) Violent crimes = 4,322; Property crime = 17,955
Sacramento (pop 467,065) Violent crimes = 4,660; Property crime = 22,499
Oakland (pop 401,857) Violent crimes = 7,905; Property crime = 21,488
Los Angeles (pop 3,850,920) Violent crimes = 26,553; Property crime = 100,821

Buffalo NY (pop 270,289) Violent crimes = 3,717; Property crime = 15,474

But each of those are just totals, you also need to take into account the differences in population size before making judgments.

Individual numbers for each of the 8 crimes examined in the FBI groupings are also available at:
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/08aprelim/table_4.html

If you want to disagree with these numbers, then take it up with the FBI.
My computer froze and then when it reloaded it was in another post.

Just as you proved, those stats were not accurate.

And what you have to understand is that Modesto is a traditionally racist community. The worst areas of the city are in county pockets and they are composed of mostly Mexicans, blacks, Asians and poor whites. So the area that should be considered the city of Modesto is really above 300,000 in population and has a much higher crime rate than what is currently in the city limits.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. In 1995 almost 1/2 of all violent crime in the county was committed in South Modesto, which is composed mostly of county pockets, and made up only a small portion of the county's population at that time.

Modesto used to be a rural community, so most of the crimes here went unreported. As Modesto has become a bigger city it has become more safe, but it is still bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top