Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:09 AM

27 posts, read 162,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
I don't think people who've never lived in a tiny, rural, redneck, isolated town can really comprehend what it means to have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO. I think a lot of people feel the same way I do when they entertain thoughts of moving to the west coast, which is "I AM BORED".
LOL and amen! Five years ago I left my home state of California to help my then-husband start the business of his dreams in Kentucky. I tried to adjust and find positives here. Really really tried. He left last year and I am finally comfortable that I have enough savings to go HOME. My last moving sale starts in a few hours, my kids are already out there staying with their grandparents and our new apartment is ready August first. I know it is expensive and crowded and many kinds of challenging. But I also know I can do it, I will be near family and it is worth all of it to live somewhere exciting and beautiful. Plus my kids will be in an atmosphere that is health-conscious and high achieving. People complaining of conditions and attitudes in California have not had the experience of stagnating in backwoods, obese, low expectation laden, poorly educated middle America.

Molly if you are reading this, my advice would be to extend whatever visit you are planning and really get to know the area and your family. Then get to know the surrounding areas. You sound pretty sensible so I won't repeat the suggestions about research, savings, job, etc. Think about the adult you want your son to become, the style of life you want and can afford, and how much you are comfortable with working. It is all about trade offs in whichever place you choose.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 PM

150 posts, read 467,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibird1 View Post
... it is worth all of it to live somewhere exciting and beautiful. Plus my kids will be in an atmosphere that is health-conscious and high achieving. People complaining of conditions and attitudes in California have not had the experience of stagnating in backwoods, obese, low expectation laden, poorly educated middle America.
Exactly! Thank you

Old 07-04-2009, 01:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
I keep reading complaints about high taxes, but here in Tinytown, AL the sales tax is already up to 10%. Also, there is nothing to do unless you want to hunt, fish, or watch cars go in a circle. We have two grocery stores, Wal-Mart and the local "cash your welfare check here" 900 sq foot dump. Sure you can buy a bigger house with some land here, but then what? Sit on the porch and swat bugs all night?

I don't think people who've never lived in a tiny, rural, redneck, isolated town can really comprehend what it means to have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO. I think a lot of people feel the same way I do when they entertain thoughts of moving to the west coast, which is "I AM BORED".
Why do people always see America as only having a choice between a "tiny, rural, redneck, isolated town" and California? The rest of the country is full of big and medium sized cities that have things to do but aren't the overgrown, overtaxed, overregulated mess California has become. People who think that California is the place to be without ever having been here have been watching too much TV and movies.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Why do people always see America as only having a choice between a "tiny, rural, redneck, isolated town" and California? The rest of the country is full of big and medium sized cities that have things to do but aren't the overgrown, overtaxed, overregulated mess California has become. People who think that California is the place to be without ever having been here have been watching too much TV and movies.
I totally agree with you that a lot of people who are looking for a "better life" have unrealistic expectations about the west coast being a utopia where every day is a nonstop music video. I have lived in a few mid to larger sized cities around the south, and while they do offer more professional opportunities than the smaller towns, I've found them to be the same as the small towns in many respects. You get a lot of the same isolationist, regressive, low-aiming types of attitudes, just on a larger scale.

My primary impetus for wanting to live in or around Los Angeles is that I wish to further pursue my interests in the film industry, which is a field in which I've had a decent amount of success so far. You simply can't do the things I want to do in a small southern town.

Also, it would be nice to live in an area where the culture isn't steeped in NASCAR racing, deer hunting, rebel flags, country music, thinly veiled racist paranoia, giant pickup trucks, and beer swilling wife beating yee-haw good ol' boy redneckism.

I know it sounds like one big stereotype, but the sad fact of the matter is that it's true. Here in central AL if you take a drive down any street during the day, the large majority of what you'll see around you is dirty guys in lifted trucks with hunting and rebel flag stickers emblazoned on the back, people walking around in ripped up stained "Dale Jr: God Rest His Soul" t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, billboards and store front signs advertising beer and Skoal. There really is no other culture here. I'm sure California has its analogs, it's just that this particular southern lifestyle and culture is just not to my liking.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:25 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Also, it would be nice to live in an area where the culture isn't steeped in NASCAR racing, deer hunting, rebel flags, country music, thinly veiled racist paranoia, giant pickup trucks, and beer swilling wife beating yee-haw good ol' boy redneckism.

I know it sounds like one big stereotype, but the sad fact of the matter is that it's true.
You do realize that description could apply to many parts of California?

Old 07-04-2009, 06:35 PM

Oh yeah, I'd just like to know what part or America isn't like that so I can move there...

Old 07-04-2009, 10:39 PM

152 posts, read 335,331 times
That statement "stagnating in backwoods, obese, low expectation laden, poorly educated middle America" is ridiculous and could not be written by a truly educated high expectation American. I know California is truly the most beautful of all states and I have lived all over this country, and would like to move to California for this beauty one day soon. But one thing for sure the people in this country vary a lot less than the terrain. Most people have the highest expectations for their children and do the best they can with the resources they have been born with. I will give you the obese part though, but that is all over the country people just super size too much and are not physically active enough, including in California. "Poorly educated middle America", well from what I read California has so many poorly performing or non speaking English student it really hurts the schools, more then in middle America. I live in south Florida and the schools, although also have alot of Spanish speaking students and of them not graduating high school as well, but along side that are many good students as well as private schools. I myself am not nocked over by the inelegance of the average California, and they are obviously not too smart at securing its borders, and figuring out how to spend money on its own citizens, although goggle is doing a good job. If I were you I would put a little more thought into putting down middle America, after all the middle is usually the place to anchor too.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:50 AM

373 posts, read 1,170,886 times
Don't forget that CA has is share of redneck areas. Heck, most of CA is quite conservative and rednecky, but at 3x the cost of other parts of the US!

Old 07-05-2009, 01:17 PM

67 posts, read 324,812 times
I would say to plan on going down there for a month or two,getting to know your family and the job market,then make your decision.Don't let people on here or the economy scare you.(Well...depending on your job field)...Do the research and try to get in touch with others in your industry to know how the jobs are in your field.

Anyhow,the economy sucks mostly everywhere..You know what kind of risk taker you are,you know what your goals and dreams are for your life,and ONLY you know your hearts desire.

JUst do research,have a plan,and have an exit plan or time frame for your decisions.....Best of luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:52 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm precisely the opposite of you and one of those traitorous California natives embarking on a reverse Dust Bowl move in the next month or two.

Interesting enough, we're heading to the lakes area (Table Rock and Taneycomo) to look at several houses our realtor is ready to show us. We've done a lot of research. Here are some simple findings.

We're both now retired so our income won't increase appreciatively from here-on-out. Making the move will ultimately save us between $15,000 to $20,000- each year. That's money in the bank for travel or a new boat every year if we wanted to be foolish.

Other considerations are friendly peolple, more of a small-town, cooperative, really get to know your neighbors atmosphere. The pace of life is slower, the crime is lesser and the lakes and rolling Ozarks are beautiful. The birds are more colorful, you can hear crickets and frogs at night and there are fireflys.

There are four, not too severe and distinct seasons with just enough snow in winter to make it enjoyable. Summer humidity can be held at bey with air conditioning and we won't have to go out in it if we don't want to. We won't have to work and don't intend to. Besides, the car is air conditioned too. Ice storms add spice to life and aren't anything a good generator can't make bearable. Finally, nothing and I mean NOTHING beats summer thunder and lightening storms at night.

By all means, come and check out California and your relatives but keep in mind the things you'll end up missing and ask yourself if joining the rat-race here would really be worth it.
Well I think that is great that you are moving this way. It is beautiful in the Branson/Table Rock area. And you are right about the weather, it does take some getting used to but you do just like anywhere else you live. The humidity is horrible just ask my hair It is a bit of a culture shock moving to a much slower paced environment. But the nice thing too...is that Branson is very upbeat/touristy most of the year. I absolutely love going there. Good Luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California