Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:35 PM

67 posts, read 324,794 times

Advertisements

Don't be discouraged just continue to do lots of research..Of the areas you listed try looking in the Ventura/Oxnard area and North of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:46 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
Honestly, the cost of coastal California is ridiculously high. I lived in Santa Barbara. Me and my housemates got a really good deal on a 2 bedroom apartment for $2100 a month. Expect to pay between 1800-2200 for a one bedroom up here. This is typical for most coastal cities in California. Check out some of the inland valleys. Not super close to the beach, but a lot closer than AZ.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:12 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
After a few hours of talking with the fiance, we have decided we want to relocate to somewhere in CA around March 2010. We are a couple in our early 20's and are looking for a place with a good nightlife, not to ghetto, near the beach (30mins), and would be warm enough to go to the beach most of the spring/summer.

We have been doing a lot of research but can't really decide on where to live, the major issue money since we are really unsure of the cost of living compared to Arizona, I know the rent is higher, but does that coincide with the job pay?

I would like to live within a 30 minute drive of the beach, closer is better obviously.

I work in the hotel business and plan on transferring, I make around $12/hr right now so I am not sure if the same position pays more there or not. She makes about the same, we bring in around $2000-$2500 a month. With our current pay, we could afford $800-$1100 a month for rent.

We are considering a few ares such as San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Ventura Area, and a few others, but we really have no idea where to start.
I lived in Tucson for about 5 yars, and have now been in California for about same amount of time. It is more expensive here. The 2 main things are much higher income tax, and cost of housing. I don't see a big difference in food cost, or utilities myself. If you are in the desert though, as I still am, the cost of electric to maintain the AC is higher than it would be near the beach, so you'd save there.
My sister lived in San Diego in a studio for around 8 years, and absolutely loved it there. She doesn't spend much time at home, so the smaller space didn't bother her. She made more than what you mentioned, but combined should be close so you should be ok. She did fine. I think Carlsbad in Northern San Diego county is very nice, and possibly cheaper than closer intown, but would check that out.
Orange County is more expensive IMO. I lived in Irvine for a bit, and could not find even a 1 bedroom there for less than $1400. There were some for less in areas I would not live though as I have a child.
I've wanted to check out San Luis Obispo myself. Seems like it's a nice beach town that is more reasonable for housing than San Diego or Orange County, at least from what I've heard.
Good luck!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
I doubt it will wear off anytime soon, and we are not planning on having kids anytime soon, at least 5-10 years.

The hotel industry actually pays very well in comparison to other customer service places, I make a lot more than anyone I know my age actually.

I don't plan on living there forever, I like to move around every few years.
Some of these things are easy to say when you're 23. Just wait another 10 years and you'll see what I mean.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I've wanted to check out San Luis Obispo myself. Seems like it's a nice beach town that is more reasonable for housing than San Diego or Orange County, at least from what I've heard.
Good luck!
San Luis Obispo is very nice and may be a little cheaper. But I've heard a lot of people say there are very few decent paying jobs there. Of course, you may be the exception to that. But, on average, and savings in rent is wiped out by lack of jobs/lower wages.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,495 times
Default Reconsider

I am 27 and I have lived in California all my life. The only thing keeping me in California is my family. Maybe because I have been raised here, I don't understand the fascination with the beach. It is beautiful, but so is the mountains, the desert, the foothills! I find your post ironic, because after living here all my life I am now considering Arizona. It is just so expensive to live here. And especially because of the recession I am more careful about what I spend my money on.

I urge you to reconsider moving here. $2,000/month will get you nowhere in California. Especially the areas that you are thinking about. I have a friend who pays $1100 for a small one bedroom in Van Nuys - it is about an hour or more from the beach (in a rather sketchy part of LA). I am sorry to tell you this, but with the income you give you will have a very hard time affording gas to work, let alone enough to get you to the beach. Unless you have a job lined up where you make at least $40k or you have family you can live with - it is not worth your time to think about California. I don't mean to sound negative. Its just I've lived here all my life in various parts of the state, and I know how hard it is. The only reason I was able to go to school in LA was because most of my expenses were paid for by my family. And even then, I lived in some not too nice places.

You say you don't mind being in proverty - you won't be saying that when you can't afford food, gas, your electricity bill.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
We pay around $800 a month right now for rent and get by just fine. I looked into transferring jobs, and as of right now there are 14 positions that I could do, another 3-4 that I could maybe get with some luck, but the other 14 would be easy due to my 5+ years of hospitality experience and supervisory experience.

I looked around on apartments.com and found a few places I would really enjoy living for around $1000 a month for a 1bd.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:22 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,495 times
Quote:
We pay around $800 a month right now for rent and get by just fine. I looked into transferring jobs, and as of right now there are 14 positions that I could do, another 3-4 that I could maybe get with some luck, but the other 14 would be easy due to my 5+ years of hospitality experience and supervisory experience.

I looked around on apartments.com and found a few places I would really enjoy living for around $1000 a month for a 1bd.
Karma,

What area is it in? My friend was renting a one bedroom in Long Beach for $950 (in a run down area) but its probably more now. I'm not saying you can't live in California. All I'm saying is that it will be hard, uncomfortable, and you may miss a couple of bills every month. And you probably will not be very close to the beach.

And the bad parts of California are Bad. I mean drugs, gangs, police sirens and helicopters at night. Bad to the point that it is dangerous to walk alone at night. Or if you do, you should probably carry a knife or a can of pepper spray.

And you really have to see a place in person to judge. It may look nice on paper, but in person it might be in the worst neighborhood, have rats or cockroaches, or whatever other unpleasant thing an apartment can have.

That being said, if you are still set on California, you should consider the San Luis Obispo/Pismo area. Much nicer than Southern California and they have some affordable areas.

Best of luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 PM

30 posts, read 183,906 times
Do you mind living with other people? I think your best bet is to rent a room in a multi-bedroom apartment or house. This is what I did when I first moved out here.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:01 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
San Luis Obispo is very nice and may be a little cheaper. But I've heard a lot of people say there are very few decent paying jobs there. Of course, you may be the exception to that. But, on average, and savings in rent is wiped out by lack of jobs/lower wages.
SLO is actually fairly expensive for housing, the university demand pushes prices up.

Studio apts in the city of SLO run about $800/mo. 1 or 2 bedrooms would be higher. Median home sales price in SLO was about $560,000 last quarter. Towns outside of SLO like Paso Robles will of course be lower, the county-wide median price was somewhere around $360,000 in May.

But add in the lower wages in the area and it becomes tough.

Nice area, but there is a tradeoff for the lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California