U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:12 PM

68 posts, read 274,947 times

Advertisements

I am from Northern Cal and been living in Houston for the past 6 years.
I love Southern Cal and will be moving there this month, some people say I'm making a mistake, others agree. What do you think? Have you seen a huge change in the economy and government? I hope I am making the right decision, I sure love Cal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:31 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,190,366 times
If you have a job lined up and you already know you love it here, then you should just go for it. There hasn't been a huge change in the government...some would argue that's the problem . The economy isn't good, but that's why I said you should have a job lined up. Are you single? Married? Kids? No kids? Plan to rent? Buy? Live near the coast or inland? All of that is going to affect whether or not you're happy with your decision. Only you can decide what's best for you, but I can tell you that you won't find a 2000 sq. ft. 4 bedroom house with granite countertops here for $150K, that's for sure But if that's not what you need, then you should be happy. When it comes down to it, only you can decide what's best for you.

p.s. I just got my registration renewal notice from the DMV for our 2005 Toyota Sienna minivan: $242 when you add up all the various fees. Kinda a bummer...

Old 07-03-2009, 09:34 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,712,864 times
Are you stupid - Absolutely not. You need to live where you will be happy.

Do you need to change your budget to adjust for higher taxes and cost of living - Absolutely yes!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:52 AM

I know cost of housing and other things like dmv is higher. To me it's worth it, I do have a family, we miss the mountains and our pine trees, plus weather, geography and PRODUCE! We will be living in Lake Arrowhead or Pine Mountain.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:54 AM

By the way, what is your average water and electric bill? Does it differ in the county that you live in?

Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 AM

32,260 posts, read 54,976,262 times
Why is it a mistake?

People from Texas have confused themselves into thinking that at this current time, theyre economy is booming while everywhere else is declining.

The fact of the matter is, TXs economy is growing but by 2% a year-which is dismally low for normal economic times. Except we are not in normal economic times, we are in a downturn and right about now, 2% seems great compared to CAs 0.6% growth.

Hows that for perspective?

Old 07-04-2009, 09:50 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,190,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRobbins View Post
By the way, what is your average water and electric bill? Does it differ in the county that you live in?
Yes, your water and electric bill is going to vary based on what company provides your service, and also of course on your usage, size of home, amount of insulation, the weather where you choose to live, what kind of landscaping you have on your property, etc. We pay about $0.10 per kwh for electric in Temecula, which is more expensive than, say, San Antonio, but cheaper than DFW or Houston. Now, the cost per kwh increases if you go over a certain amount, so you start paying up to $0.14 per kwh in the really hot months, so that sucks. Water for us is generally about $60 per month, but we conserve A LOT (5 minute showers, water plants with the water used to wash vegetables, etc. no more than 10 minutes every other day for the sprinklers....). Again, everyone's is going to differ based on a lot of factors.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:58 AM

3,057 posts, read 6,813,548 times
Why ask the question now? If you are moving in a month what difference does it make to get opinions? If you have kids and or no job I would say you are absolutely making a mistake. But if you have a job and or money is not an issue then you should be fine.

Good luck.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Why is it a mistake?

People from Texas have confused themselves into thinking that at this current time, theyre economy is booming while everywhere else is declining.

The fact of the matter is, TXs economy is growing but by 2% a year-which is dismally low for normal economic times. Except we are not in normal economic times, we are in a downturn and right about now, 2% seems great compared to CAs 0.6% growth.

I agree. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2009, 04:49 PM

17,447 posts, read 23,879,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Why is it a mistake?

Not to mention that Houston is a major craphole and I don't blame anyone for wanting to get out. Austin OTOH....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California