U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 17,726 times
Default North or South?

Hi everyone. I'm moving soon, and I don't know if I should go North or South CA? If I go North, it's Santa Cruz, South it's Redondo Beach area. Just want to know what would be better and safer. I'm a 21 y/o girl. I know both will be pricey, anyone know which is slightly less expensive? Any info on either place would be great. Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2006, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,756 times
Thumbs up Santa Cruz

Personally I'd say Santa Cruz...It's all depends on what kind of scene you're looking for though, school or work or party or whatever.........Santa Cruz has a lot of "different" people... like the drag queen/clown that shuffles around downtown all day everyday........I never fail to see her(him) when I'm down there......

Old 07-09-2006, 07:07 PM

21 posts, read 272,609 times
Default Life in California

Living in Nor. Cal is much cheaper than So. Cal in general. Santa Cruz is one of the pricier areas to rent in the bay area. The more affordable areas nearby would be north of S.F for example Rohnert Park or South of the bay Seaside, Monterey area.

I grew up in the Sacramento Valley and personally hated it with a passion. The summers are very hot and there is not a whole lot to do there. Parts of the valley feel like Alabama, dead and depressing. The rent there is also catching up to the coastal rates which makes no sense, seeing there are not a lot of job opportunities outside of retail and health care.

Northern Cal is a laid back recreational lifestyle with a tad more artistic character than So. Cal, it is almost like a meditation resort.

Southern California is a lot more congested and happening, I guess you could say. There are many more opportunites for shopping, parks, etc. down in the southern part of the state.

Overall, the state is extremely expensive to buy a house in but not to bad to live if you rent. The produce is top quality and the weather is always sunny. There are lots of places to shop and eat regardless of which part of the state you stay in.

After living in Orlando, Florida; Denver, Co.; and Everett, WA........California is by far the highest standards for living overall of any state I have lived.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:42 PM

19 posts, read 49,501 times
One thing to keep in mind is what are your views. If you are more conservative, stay south, Orange County is the bastion of conservatism in CA. Santa Cruz is very liberal and a college town. Both are beautiful, but So Cal has smog, Santa Cruz area has fog and damp weather. (Spent A LOT of time in both)

Old 07-10-2006, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 17,726 times
Thanks so much everyone! This really helped clear some things up.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:35 AM

27 posts, read 27,032 times
If you're talking about the guy in pink carrying an umbrella who shuffles around all day....his name is Robert. Try going up to him and saying "hi" someday. He's a nice guy. Odd, yes, but I'll take him over the increasing gang-influence that seems to be everywhere now. Used to be primarily in South County and Beach Flats. Now it's filtering into the Downtown area. People like the "umbrella man" and even most of the homeless are harmless compared to these thugs who carry weapons.

I was born and raised in Santa Cruz. My parents came here in 1937. Never in all my years of living here have I seen so many Hispanics who seem to be taking over our community. Some are illegal, many aren't. Most don't feel it's necessary to learn English. But, the worst aspect of this growing aspect of our population, is the GANG-related incidents that are coming out of it! WHY??!!! WHY?? WHY???!! This is very disturbing to me.

I miss my old Santa Cruz. The '50s and '60s were the best times to be growing up here. We'll never experience those slower, simpler times again I'm afraid. Two things have changed Santa Cruz: UCSC and the
influx of Mexicans. I honestly cannot say it's always been a positive thing, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5brandon
Personally I'd say Santa Cruz...It's all depends on what kind of scene you're looking for though, school or work or party or whatever.........Santa Cruz has a lot of "different" people... like the drag queen/clown that shuffles around downtown all day everyday........I never fail to see her(him) when I'm down there......

Old 07-31-2006, 03:06 PM

25 posts, read 144,420 times
The Mexicans are taking over the entire state and a good majority of them are here illegally and it is true many do not desire to learn or speak English. Ever heard of the term "white flight?" Its happening all over Calif. and many other southwestern states. I too remember Calif. back in the 50's and 60's. It was a whole different place back then and as close to paradise you could get. Not anymore and for various reasons.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:34 PM

9 posts, read 171,963 times
I'm not gonna call anyone racist, but it seems that that's what most people are preoccupied when it comes to Calif. in general. I am from LA and it's not a big deal that there are many latinos coming to Calif. it is a big deal that some latinos submit themselves to gangs. I think i'm just trying to say: dont let mexicans scare you. The likelyness of a white person coming up and mugging you is no different than that of any other race. Truly, the best way to experience a new place is going there and interacting with locals, not seeing pics. There are plenty of places that I've lived/been to where the mexican popl. was substantial and the good memories I have of those places are innumerable.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,742 times
Default Me Too!

I'm also trying to decide north or south, although I'm more focused on north or south part of the Central Coast. My husband and I have been in a 2-year debate over Santa Ynez Valley or Monterey Bay, specifically Aptos or Corralitos area. We like small town living of Santa Ynez and warmer water, but we like lushness of the Monterey Bay...the debate continues...

Old 08-19-2006, 11:05 AM

2,655 posts, read 7,100,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achillez88 View Post
...dont let mexicans scare you. The likelyness of a white person coming up and mugging you is no different than that of any other race.
Could not agree more. California represents a gigantic mix of people from all over the world. To anyone moving to CA who is concerned about this, may I suggest that your efforts are better spent addressing your concerns directly -- crime, noise, schools, whatever -- and forget about race, ethnicity or national origin. In CA your neighbors and kids' classmates will likely be a multitude of all of these. I know that someone reading this might be thinking, "yeah, but there is more/less crime/noise/etc in [race] neighborhoods." Well, prove it. Not to me -- to yourself. What's likely to make or break your experience in CA far more than race is climate and geography.

And to anyone who's wondering, I'm Caucasian currently living in a primarily Latin neighborhood. Crime is LOW and my neighbors are warm, hard working and family oriented. I'm a "thermophobe," as I've heard it called (hate hot weather), so I live in a cool part of CA. This is far more important to me than the ethnic background of my neighbors. Forget race, focus on the issues, and find your place in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California