Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Explain to me who's going to do the intensive labor jobs for minimum wage? In California where minimum wage jobs = poverty for a family.
Oh cry me a river... Ask ANY unemployed person out there that question. Go ahead, ask.

Being employed for minimum wage = better than no wage at all.

Mexicans ARE a massive problem in this country (illegals anyway). They bring in little to no skills and expect social services in return from OUR tax money. Spending money on Illegals = throwing tax dollars down the drain.

California is out of money because of 3 fundamental reasons:

1. Government is too expansive and inefficient (that includes schools, social services, welfare, medical, etc)
2. Illegals
3. Poorly designed tax system

We don't need increased taxes...businesses, i.e. JOBS are moving out of state already because of the high taxation here.

We need reduced government and taxes spread out more efficiently between the classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post
We can't blame the whole California mess on illegal aliens. There are many factors to take into consideration. Our "public servants" are the main culprits! They have too much time on their hands and pass too many insane laws in order to save Californians from themselves!

As to immigrants, I applaud anyone wanting to come to America to have a better life for themselves and their families. However, they should not sneak in around the people doing it the correct way.

I have a friend from India and she has been working to become naturalized for 5 years now. She has had to hire a lawyer and endure the ups and downs of the employment system. If she does not work for 30 days she is deported. In addition her lawyer fees have gone into the thousands of dollars. She has learned english and taken the citizenship classes. She is working within the system. We should not offer amnesty to people who break our laws.

Also, It is interesting the breakdown of illegal folks in the US.

Here is Wikedpedia's take on it:

The Illegal immigrant population of the United States is estimated to be about 11 million people, down from a historic peak of 12.5 million people in 2007.[2] According to a Pew Hispanic Center report, in 2005 57% of illegal immigrants were from Mexico, 24% were from other Latin American countries, primarily from Central America,[3] 9% were from Asia, 6% were from Europe and Canada, and 4% were from the rest of the world.
Den -

I will not judge someone who is trying to come over here to make a living. Whether its according to our laws or not. I have never lived in such dire poverty and so I cannot say what I would do in that situation. There's a saying that mentions something about someone else's shoes, and walking in them, I'm sure you have heard of it.

If they were coming over here and trying to eradicate us through genocide, or trying to starve us to death by killing off our livestock and we had lived on this land for thousands of years - then maybe I could see more merit in your arguement.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:01 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Oh cry me a river... Ask ANY unemployed person out there that question. Go ahead, ask.

Being employed for minimum wage = better than no wage at all.

Mexicans ARE a massive problem in this country (illegals anyway). They bring in little to no skills and expect social services in return from OUR tax money. Spending money on Illegals = throwing tax dollars down the drain.

California is out of money because of 3 fundamental reasons:

1. Government is too expansive and inefficient (that includes schools, social services, welfare, medical, etc)
2. Illegals
3. Poorly designed tax system

We don't need increased taxes...businesses, i.e. JOBS are moving out of state already because of the high taxation here.

We need reduced government and taxes spread out more efficiently between the classes.
You're the typical unsympathetic right wing clone that thinks everything will work out if we just got rid of Insert Group__________ drone. Anti Government, thinks all illegals are Mexicans, thinks blacks are all on welfare and too lazy to work etc etc, blah blah blah.

Many Americans think they are too good for certain jobs, you live in a fantasy land if you think people out of work will just do anything. People have pride and many people out of work are not some random jobless ex safeway stock boy itching to jump at any odd job that comes to them.

You obviously don't know many un-employed professionals because a jobless lawyer, doctor, or executive is not going to go work in the sun for chump change.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 AM

314 posts, read 935,674 times
Quote:
So you're going to wash cars, pick fruits and vegetables, and work in hot kitchens for 4 bucks an hour? Sure. You act like it's cheap and easy to deport people, we would end up paying for that with more tax hikes. Explain to me who's going to do the intensive labor jobs for minimum wage? In California where minimum wage jobs = poverty for a family.
Yeah cause I am not picking fruits, washing cars (i dont even wash my own) and I am not working in a hot kitchen (I already do that at home). Thats why I went to school for 7 years. I agree with you there are some jobs that most people are not willing to do. I had a professor tell me what made him go to college was that he worked one day in the fields in Georgia helping his cousin pick fruit and vegetables. He says he went and enrolled the next day because that job was not for him. Some may like those jobs some dont. Those types of jobs are not for everyone IMHO.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Quote:
You're the typical unsympathetic right wing clone that thinks everything will work out if we just got rid of Insert Group__________ drone. Anti Government, thinks all illegals are Mexicans, thinks blacks are all on welfare and too lazy to work etc etc, blah blah blah.

Many Americans think they are too good for certain jobs, you live in a fantasy land if you think people out of work will just do anything. People have pride and many people out of work are not some random jobless ex safeway stock boy itching to jump at any odd job that comes to them.

You obviously don't know many un-employed professionals because a jobless lawyer, doctor, or executive is not going to go work in the sun for chump change.
So you're telling me that if you were unemployed for lets say 3 months with absolutely no job prospects on the horizon, you wouldn't take any job available out there to get you by? We're not talking about making it a career, were talking about getting you fed and sheltered at night. At least until you find the job you're looking for.

I love how you call me an unsympathetic right winger when you sit here telling me that you are too damn good for low wage jobs (as a temporary solution to unemployment)... that they are for the riff raff of society and that you would never take part in such a petty position.

Typical liberal hypocrite...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
snipped....
The fact is the hispanic population is growing faster than the non-hispanic population. So if you see more hispanics - its not because they're all crossing the border, its because their population is growing here in the US. Even if not another Mexican crossed the border EVER, the population would still grow, and they would still be the fastest growing ethnic group.

If that scares you, or threatens you in some way, than I think you need to turn that critical eye inward instead of using it to judge people who are different than you. We are all human after all, and all the labels we create are illusions.
that is the best way to conquer. All the ones here illegally are breeding like rabbits and using the facilities that Americans that pay taxes use. And yes, I do feel threatened because illegal immigrants are being forced on me, jobs are disappearing and my country is falling apart. You need to grow up and get off your condescending high horse, please.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Good points Majin,

Prop 13 benefits those that still live in the home at the time it passed, or family members that acquired those homes. I would say that the number today of said homeowners is not a significant amount to hurt the current budget situation. I know in the neighborhood that I grew up in most of the original owners are gone now, although some still remain as I am still friends with them.

As far as my thoughts, we don't need more taxes, we need a decrease in spending, an elimination of a full time legislature, removal of a union based state employee system, revamp of state services such as the DMV. Most of what they do can be done online. Elimination of the teachers unions, state department of education, anyone in education that doesn't teach students. (Many private institutions the Principal teaches students.) Fire personal, 72% of fire departments are volunteer, why not all of ours? I could go on an on.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I would love to see some white people out there picking strawberries in my area. Like that is going to happen. My wifes family picked when they were younger and we use that as a threat to our kids when they decide they don't like school. You try it for a day and see how your tune changes about illegals picking vegtables and fruit. Do I agree with having illegals here? NO but few if any white people will do it.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:

"You obviously don't know many un-employed professionals because a jobless lawyer, doctor, or executive is not going to go work in the sun for chump change."

If they get hungry enough they will!

I guess you missed story on the ex-rich guy that now delivers pizza.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I would love to see some white people out there picking strawberries in my area. Like that is going to happen. My wifes family picked when they were younger and we use that as a threat to our kids when they decide they don't like school. You try it for a day and see how your tune changes about illegals picking vegtables and fruit. Do I agree with having illegals here? NO but few if any white people will do it.
They should be allowed in only during the harvest season then go home and be allowed to come back for the next harvest.

And out of the 12 to 20 million illegals in the country a very few of them are a part of any harvest.

And when I was young I loaded fresh cut wet bales of hay on to trucks in North Texas....I'd say they weighted more than a flat of strawberries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California