Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 10,522 times

Advertisements

My son and daughter-in-law are moving to Barstow. Does anyone have any info on the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 01:41 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
They have an In N Out which makes a good stopping point on the way to Vegas. There's also an outlet mall if you're into that kind of thing.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
wzie,

Sorry, but Barstow is a real hole. Crime is high, a lot of white trash and illegals. I have nothing good to say about it. I got stuck on jury duty there about a year ago (before we left CA) and wow....made you glad NOT to live there.

Violent crime is about double the national average, and it's getting worse as more low lifes are moving there being pushed out of Victor Valley.

Wish I had good news....I would simply have them go talk to the SB County Sheriff's Dept detectives to find the BEST area to live in around that area, and heed their advice...

Old 04-18-2007, 04:38 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;593144
wzie,
Sorry, but Barstow is a real hole. Crime is high, a lot of white trash and illegals. I have nothing good to say about it. I got stuck on jury duty there about a year ago (before we left CA) and wow....made you glad NOT to live there.
With all due respect,

How would you know which Latinos are illegal in Barstow? Are those the ones who walk and bike to work? How would you know the city has a high crime rate because you visited for a week? Did you see old homes, spread out real-estate, blue collar workers, or maybe more restraunts than people? White trash?! Because their property value is lower than the average California home, I'm sure some of their homes have higher property value than a home in your current location of Idaho. Does this mean there's more white trash in Idaho? I don't want to be the politically correct police, but some of these statements have no factual evidence and are clueless based on a mandatory one to two week vacation. I had a friend in Compton, and he stated it wasn't that bad. He was a nice, hispanic kid of whom I worked with. He told me Compton receives a horrible rap, but he stated he doesn't feel threatened at all. You have to know a city, before you can claim what it's like.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 AM

43 posts, read 312,852 times
dusesean,

First let me say I've done my time in Barstow.

The City data.com site shows the following info on Barstow.
U.S. crime average 448.6 Barstow 600.8
81 registered sex offenders. This gives a ratio of 293 residents to 1 sex offender.

I'm not going to tell you every Hispanic is illegal and everybody else is white trash. But you have to wonder when the stores that are left open on main st are starting to put up there signs in spansh only.

If the Santa Fe were to move their operation somewhere down the hill Barstow would dry up and only cater to the people on the way to Vegas.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:12 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
I (unfortunately) lived all over the Inland Empire. And my best friend lives in Hesperia.

I agree with Sage and Jim, Barstow is a real piece of ****. Dusty, poor, town.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Thank you JimC,

But I have never been to Barstow, only driven through once. I was not sticking up for Barstow at any point in my post. I was clearly stating how the previous posters' mere observations came to conclusions about Barstow that they truly did not know the true value of those conclusions.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:24 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I (unfortunately) lived all over the Inland Empire. And my best friend lives in Hesperia.

I agree with Sage and Jim, Barstow is a real piece of ****. Dusty, poor, town.
I would have to agree with CityGirl. I live in Apple Valley and not to far from Barstow. I have been here 30 years and have to say, Please tell them not to move there.

There are other areas like Victorville or Hesperia or Apple Valley that are much better to live than Barstow.

Good luck

Old 04-19-2007, 02:15 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
With all due respect,

How would you know which Latinos are illegal in Barstow? Are those the ones who walk and bike to work? How would you know the city has a high crime rate because you visited for a week? Did you see old homes, spread out real-estate, blue collar workers, or maybe more restraunts than people? White trash?! Because their property value is lower than the average California home, I'm sure some of their homes have higher property value than a home in your current location of Idaho. Does this mean there's more white trash in Idaho? I don't want to be the politically correct police, but some of these statements have no factual evidence and are clueless based on a mandatory one to two week vacation. I had a friend in Compton, and he stated it wasn't that bad. He was a nice, hispanic kid of whom I worked with. He told me Compton receives a horrible rap, but he stated he doesn't feel threatened at all. You have to know a city, before you can claim what it's like.
Barstow has twice the national average crime rate a "6" for both property and violent crime.
The unemployment rate is over 5%, higher again than that national average.
53% of the population make under $50,000/ yr
Almost 40% of Barstow residents are renters (that it and of itself says a lot about the area).
Now about the illegals in Barstow, it is a dropping point for coyotes, has been for years that is a fact. (I get that from my DH who is an Immigration officer).
MBG

Old 04-21-2007, 11:17 PM

38,864 posts, read 22,849,388 times
I've always thought of Barstow as being one of those places you stopped in only if you were on your way to someplace else (usually Las Vegas). Someone else mentioned the outlet mall and the In-N-Out, and I've been to those places there. My impression of the general area was that it was kind of run down, and made me glad I didn't live there.

Last edited by Dennis P; 04-22-2007 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: Left out a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties