Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:07 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,730 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Missouri and yes...many folks from CA are moving this way. I was born in Ventura and have relatives (including biological father) that I have never met but have recently came into contact. I yearn to know this side of my family and possibly even move to the Ventura area. I am 39 and my son is 13. I have heard numerous things about CA from people and on the news. But I feel who better to ask than the people of California. Can my decision (if I chose to move) still be a good one even with the economy being bad. I know this question is subjective but I am prepared to hear the good, the bad, and maybe even the downright ugly. I have a BS in Psychology and have experience working with state and not-for-profit agencies.

I would appreciate your input. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
Are you currently working? Do you have a job lined up when you get here? Do you have enough money saved up? If you don't have a job lined up here STAY PUT! This is not the time to move any where.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 AM

I am working here in Missouri. The same agency is in CA too. It would be at least May/June of next year before I would make a move. I do get your point about having the job first. THANKS

Old 07-02-2009, 09:02 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Well, this is not the time to be applying for a state job with California, lol

Aside from that though, California is fine, you just have to do a bit more research to find out where people are hiring. Have money saved up though... atleast enough for a year (on top of your savings of course, don't use that to live off of).

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Well, this is not the time to be applying for a state job with California, lol

Aside from that though, California is fine, you just have to do a bit more research to find out where people are hiring. Have money saved up though... atleast enough for a year (on top of your savings of course, don't use that to live off of).
Yea...I heard about the state employees time off w/o pay. Ok...say for example that I have relatives to stay with (hopefully for a month or two or less) because I will shop around for a place to live. What is a good amount to save? What is your sales tax? What have your gas prices been running? We have been about $2.29-$2.49 for about the past 2 months. If you knew what are cost of living was here...you'd say..."why would you want to move here?" LOL

Old 07-02-2009, 10:56 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Yea...I heard about the state employees time off w/o pay. Ok...say for example that I have relatives to stay with (hopefully for a month or two or less) because I will shop around for a place to live. What is a good amount to save? What is your sales tax? What have your gas prices been running? We have been about $2.29-$2.49 for about the past 2 months. If you knew what are cost of living was here...you'd say..."why would you want to move here?" LOL
Definitely stay away from the state government jobs for now. Atleast until Arnold blows the whole thing up and we start over from scratch

If you have relatives to stay with you will be much better off. Id recommend staying with whoever you can.. friends, relatives whoever you know well here. You'll save a lot of money that way and it would give you more time to be able to seriously look for a job.

Sales tax is somewhere around 8.25%. Gas prices depend on where you're at. Generally, the prices are above the national average. $2.99/reg where I'm at now.

I'd recommend around $15-20k minimum saved up if you're coming without a job start date. Try to have an emergency fund of around $5,000 on top of that just incase the unexpected happens. All of this of course is on top of whatever savings (401k, pension, trust fund etc) you have, which should only be used in an absolute emergency.

You should have no problem finding a job however. You just need to do some research BEFORE you come, preferably. Some areas are great, and some are dead. But you'll be better off researching before you come so you know where to apply.

Best of luck! You'll be fine

Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
In my opinion, California could be turning into a new Rust Belt state. The quasi Communistic direction being taken (and the general support of it by an electorate now dominated by Lefty carpetbaggers from back East, and, both legal and illegal immigrants) will nearly ensure that outcome. This is now a hostile place for business with an anti capitalistic / Green obsession. Still people do move to places like this and survive, it's your decision, whatever you decide good luck.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 AM

291 posts, read 414,003 times
better speak spanish or learn it, gas 3.00 gallon, tax keeps going up cost of living is very bad. traffic ,trash and crimes unless you can pay to remove yourselves from the mess here.public schools are dumbed down to accommodate the masses of non English speakers.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:17 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,454 times
I use to live in Missouri and your better off actually. The cost of living is extremely reasonable. California isn't for the weak heart. Jobs are hard to find, gas cost a lot (we get a-- raped on gas) and food is going up like crazy. Don't even get me started on housing. If your paying $500 for an apartment or renting a house, STAY IN MISSOURI. You will pay double that here and don't even think about buying a house, because you will get stuck buying someone's old house that they remolded and now feel its worth twice the price ($500,000 for 1500 sq ft). At least you get a "house" out in the Midwest with some land. Here you get a track home and your neighbor is 5 feet away.

California isn't a good place to relocate no matter how much money you have saved up. It will be depleted before you know it and then you will be heading back to Missouri with nothing. Trust me you aren't missing anything out in California.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
I use to live in Missouri and your better off actually. The cost of living is extremely reasonable. California isn't for the weak heart. Jobs are hard to find, gas cost a lot (we get a-- raped on gas) and food is going up like crazy. Don't even get me started on housing. If your paying $500 for an apartment or renting a house, STAY IN MISSOURI. You will pay double that here and don't even think about buying a house, because you will get stuck buying someone's old house that they remolded and now feel its worth twice the price ($500,000 for 1500 sq ft). At least you get a "house" out in the Midwest with some land. Here you get a track home and your neighbor is 5 feet away.

California isn't a good place to relocate no matter how much money you have saved up. It will be depleted before you know it and then you will be heading back to Missouri with nothing. Trust me you aren't missing anything out in California.

Really my biggest allure about CA is being reunited with family that I never knew and the beach. The last time I was in Ventura was 1989 and I had my aunt and my mom just drop me off at the beach (In Jan) and I stayed there sitting and mesmerized by the waves crashing and the coastal air noises. Yes it was cold but no more cold than the guy surfing. I have no "get famous" ideals or go find a movie star notion. Right now I am just in the very very early phase of investigating the possibility. I have lots of family in Ventura, which I'm sure helps. Your take on CA is exactly what I hear from others that move here. I do hope there is some positive aspects of California. THANKS for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California