U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 PM

243 posts, read 503,718 times
Default Why is Last Call for alcohol just 1:30AM in California!?

Is it just me or are California's liqour laws ridiculous. Perhaps it's because I grew up in Europe where we partied until 6am, but still I think the fact clubs and bars must shut down at 2am is really insane. I mean most people get to clubs at 11:30, so you're only allowed to party 2-3 hours!? I find myself feeling so rushed when I go out to clubs in California, in Europe you can just take your time and enjoy the night away not constantly looking at your watch. I've heard many other states have this same ordinance so I'm not sure if it's an American outlook that partyign should be well restricted?

I understand it's shouldn't all be the European way and this is a different country with different laws, but I just can't imagine most Californians think this is normal. I mean even NYC has last call at 4am. I would even be fine with 3am. But 1:30am!? How do all these big fancy clubs even produce revenue?!

Anyone have any feedback? What made California impose this strange law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,918,949 times
Yeah it's really stupid and have been bitching about it since I've been going to bars.

The bars are still ---PACKED--- at 1:30am, absolutely no reason to close down that early. Everybody loses.

Despite California being a very liberal state we still have some pretty stupid conservative laws on the books. Liquor laws, drug laws, prostitution laws, prop 8, etc. As Californians we should be ashamed of ourselves.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 PM

10,257 posts, read 13,412,655 times
Most states are like that, other places like NYC, Miami, LV, NOLA, etc..are exceptions. Some states its even earlier. But yeah I wish it was later too. There was a bill a few years ago trying to extend hours in cities over 400K but nothing ever came about it. I blame it on nanny state liberals and social conservatives.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:22 PM

7,876 posts, read 9,560,630 times
California is schizoid. On the one hand in many ways it's more radically Fabian and non conformist than the most radical places in Western Europe or the East Coast. On the other hand, there is still a persistent heritage of an influential group of quasi Puritan New Englanders and Midwesterners who wormed their way into key positions during the frontier era and got some serious blue laws on the books, some of which somehow remain to this day. It's actually quite bizarre.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,669,932 times
California allows alcohol sales to start at 6AM but isnt New York a later in the morning time, 8AM? So both still have 4 hours of no sales.

Technically the California law is no onsite consumption of alcohol at bars after 2AM.

It is the bars that decide to do "last call" at 1:30AM to allow customers time to consume one last drink, collect glasses that may still contain alcohol, etc.

By doing last call at 1:30 the bars can make sure they are in compliance with the law (no one still drinking alcohol) when the clock strikes 2.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 PM

304 posts, read 435,995 times
Very good question. Is there anyone here who knows the exact reason why CA is regulated to 2 AM? I remember reading here or somewhere else that it goes back to WWII and how they wanted people to be inside by that time just in case the Japanese began to attack or something like that.

But why would we need these laws?

I just did a quick search on Google and there are places like Miami and NOLA who have 24 hour bar service in certain districts. I'm sure that the same thing can be applied to CA where they can allow 24 hr. bar service (like Hollywood or Downtown L.A.) in certain parts of cities.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 10 days ago)

48,899 posts, read 40,259,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
Very good question. Is there anyone here who knows the exact reason why CA is regulated to 2 AM? I remember reading here or somewhere else that it goes back to WWII and how they wanted people to be inside by that time just in case the Japanese began to attack or something like that.

But why would we need these laws?

I just did a quick search on Google and there are places like Miami and NOLA who have 24 hour bar service in certain districts. I'm sure that the same thing can be applied to CA where they can allow 24 hr. bar service (like Hollywood or Downtown L.A.) in certain parts of cities.
Interesting thought, I hadn't heard that, but grew up with the laws exactly like they are today. 2am, that's it..It never bothered us one way or the other, but it is an law that seems a bit outdated.

Nita

Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM

8,860 posts, read 10,840,982 times
As a cop in California once told me, nothing good ever happens after midnight. I begged to differ, but from a cops perspective I guess it made sense. FWIW, NYC is now issuing liquor licenses that are only good until 2:00AM, so within five years that it, all bars will stop serving alcohol by 2 instead of 4. So much for the city that never sleeps.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:42 PM

17,247 posts, read 13,385,245 times
They can stay open after 2 but can't serve. Private clubs are exempt.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:03 PM

5,112 posts, read 11,788,409 times
CA has pretty good liquor laws comparatively. No dry counties, no days when liquor can't be sold, and no huge restrictions on who can sell liquor. Now goto a southern or midwestern state(and even some northeastern states) and see if you have the same freedoms.

The US society is built on liability laws, and the last call laws are all about liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California