U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:56 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,964,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I'm in the business world. I've done corporate management, owned my own company, done consulting, etc.
Well, good luck in business. See you around the central valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 AM

41 posts, read 59,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoucare? View Post
LONG BEACH, Calif. (Map, News) -
California State University says it will stop accepting nearly all student applications for the spring 2010 term to help offset deep budget cuts to the 23-campus system.
CSU officials said Thursday that campuses on the quarter system have stopped accepting applications for the 2010 winter term.
CSU, which has about 450,000 students, typically admits more than 35,000 freshmen, undergraduate transfer and graduate students during the spring term.
The decision to close spring admissions is part of its overall strategy to reduce student enrollment to cope with a 20 percent reduction in state funding.
The CSU Board of Trustees is expected to vote on an overall plan to address a nearly $600 million budget shortfall when it meets in two weeks.
I guess my niece will not be starting in the spring

Sorry about your niece, but the LA area has very few universities. The east coast has tons.
If she could get into UCLA or USC then it's worth coming here. Honestly, it's a waste of money for your niece to come down here just to go to CSU.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:30 AM

48,394 posts, read 39,428,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike8290 View Post
Sorry about your niece, but the LA area has very few universities. The east coast has tons.
If she could get into UCLA or USC then it's worth coming here. Honestly, it's a waste of money for your niece to come down here just to go to CSU.
that is a matter of opinion. Maybe she has a reason for wanting one of the CSU campuses..UCLA and USC are both great schools, but more expensive than CSU universities and they are not for everyone.

Nita

Old 11-02-2009, 01:32 PM

289 posts, read 578,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
I know it sucks. I was planning on applying for Spring for grad school, but it seems now I have to wait. In addition, now I'll be competing with more people for less slots.

With all this happening I think its going to be very hard for the economy to turn itself around. Like I said before, how can we expect a better economy if we are cutting back on education? They're laying off teachers, professors, cutting classes.

I know it seems paranoid, but I am actually considering getting dual citizenship with Canada. I don't think the US is headed in a good direction. Hasn't been for some time.

Have you gotten all of your lower division requirements out of the way? If I was in this unfortunate position, I'd go to a CC and use now to fill them in. I know when I started (or wanted to start) at CSU, I found out that even in spite of getting a lot done at CC there was still more. I had to fill what they called the "golden four" requirement of math, critical writing/thinking, etc. to get admitted. Even well after admission, there were still things I was going back to CC to do, such as two semesters of a foreign language, california government, etc. Just a thought.

Maybe you could consider going to a private upper division institution still accepting, such as DeVry, University of Phoenix, and whatnot. If you do, check out the accreditations and make sure it's what you want first though. A lot of people say University of Phoenix is expensive, but it seems to be after these fee hikes (including gas, parking fees, student fees and whatnot) it's not going to be much of a difference soon.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:45 PM

289 posts, read 578,115 times
Quote:
Thanks Handi, you just killed my dream . But I'll find a way around I'm sure. Maybe just be a permanent resident for as long as I live up there and never get full citizenship? I'm not giving up on Canada just yet .

And I noticed you mentioned something about Sacramento. How is it there? That's one of the CSUs I plan on applying to. Is it very welcoming for young people? I would much rather go there than one of the CSUs in Southern California. I just looked up rents for LA and I all I could do was stare at the screen in disbelief. My old 2 bedroom apartment that I used to share for $1200, is now close to $1700! Its madness.
Hi Eve,

You might like it, but I'd have to say, I'd give CSU Sacramento a pretty low rating. The college campus itself is beautiful, but I've heard negative things about the administration and the way they run things from alumni. When I went there, the classes tended to consist of some good and some low quality instructors (who couldn't spell) and most of them couldn't remember who you were during or after the class since there's 65+ people crammed in to one teacher.

The cops on campus are horrible. They are probably underfunded, which is why they seek any opportunity to give someone a ticket. This is a common complaint. The beginning of the semester, I paid my $125 (it was at the time) for a parking decal and had it ready and displayed in the window. I drove all over campus looking for a single parking spot, including all six levels of the parking structure, and there was not one to be found. During times like these, you may be able to pay an additional fee to a "valet" service within the parking structure to give you one of the remaining spots. It's not all the time it's this way, but it's a big enough issue to mention.

Several of the teachers I had with masters and doctorates had issues with time management, spelling (on a regular basis) and sometimes critical thinking, so I don't know what's going on there.

Some food for thought-a Sacramento State graduate (with a BS in Sociology) worked for a friend of mine who's a prominent CEO here for a couple years. The guy, embarrassingly enough, could not compile a single page press release or think creatively enough to come up with a snappy title. He relied on his boss for this most of the time and the other staff members eventually ended up covering his assignments. After a year and a half of this, he was let go. I don't know if this is a reflection on the CSU system or our educational system in general...

Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,993 times
I have a 3.9 GPA with 89 semester units from a community college and am more than ready to transfer to CSUSB, however, they are not accepting applications for spring 2010, fall 2010, or even any quarters in 2011. They have told me that they do not think they will even consider applications for the entire year of 2011 due to the fact that they are trying to cut back 40,000 students due to budget cuts. This is rediculous. I already have my AA degree and cannot get my BA because none of the southern california universities are accepting applications. Just so you know, I pay for college out of my hard earned money from working for the school district as an instructional aide due to the fact that I do not qualify for any financial assistance. So, the economy is not losing money by letting me go to school, they are losing money by NOT letting me in school. America is supposed to be the land where you can be anything as long as you are willing to do the work, yet I have proven with my grades that I am more than willing to do the work, but cannot go any further with my education.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,652,358 times
Quote:
We actually owe China about 40% of our debt. So yes, I would say they pay a very large portion of our state schools.
Please explain how you think this debt funds our schools?

Keep in mind this is a Federal debt and money loaned to the US so Americans can buy junk made in China. It has next to nothing to do with California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California