Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I'm not saying reducing admissions to college is THE answer, simply that maybe one benefit may be a greater appreciation of the opportunity. I think too many take getting a college education for granted today.
Because of the way our society is situated college is taken for granted simply because it is so common for people to go. The reason for that is because we have moved from an industrial country to a post-industrial country. Meaning we are now more service/specialty oriented, than production oriented.

Personally it would probably be a good idea for us to move back to industry. We would not need so many people going to college, we could focus on skills that are more applicable, and we could actually produce things we could sell. But we have not reached that point yet. We are still in transition. Hopefully we will make the transition to something better, but that remains to be seen.

I see your point. But I tend to see things on a broader scale, so I don't think the main problem is remedial classes or preparing students for college. I think our main problem is the system is organized in a way that is not functional - so every aspect of it is going to be effected. Education. Business. Farming. Family structure. Medicine. Its all interconnected and its all dysfunctional. We can try to focus on one aspect - education and think of short term fixes. But they are just that. Short term.

I would like to say I have high hopes for the next generation, but I can't in all honesty say that. As much as I care about them I have to be truthful. They have grown up with a very different mindset than any generations that have proceeded them. They feel entitled. I don't know if any amount of hardship can change that. And maybe if they had to work, that would help. But how can they learn the value of hard work without jobs? I tried talking to a class recently about the economy. I tried telling them it might be hard for them to find jobs after high school. They just stared at me, and this one student started shaking his head in disbelief, as if I was lieing to him. They are very disconnected. I was not exagerating before when I said they would rather talk about American Idol than the state of America - that is the sad truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
They float our debt by purchasing treasury bills, with the hopes of collapsing the U.S. dollar -- why do you think the Fed no longer releases M3 data? And, I have no problem paying to educate U.S. citizens. However, how many CSU students are U.S. citizens?
The US dollar is collapsing fine all by itself, it doesn't need help from the Chinese. If anything the Chinese are doing us a favor by continuing to accept our currency in exchange for goods and services. But that is already changing. There have been hints by China and Russia that they want to start trading in a different currency.

Currency is basically an IOU. It is used in trade for the sole purpose of trading goods. So what goods are we trading? What are we producing? Lets say I want to trade you some apples for some of my oranges, but my crop got destroyed. You agree to accept an IOU. I keep giving you IOUs for the next several years. Still no oranges. Wouldn't you get a little tired after a while of accepting my worthless IOUs? That is what our dollar is. A piece of paper with no value behind it.

As far as CSUs go. I'm very familiar with them and I would say about 90% are US citizens.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:02 PM

251 posts, read 767,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handiquack View Post
Sac State is a very good CSU, best inland school by far (compare to CSU Stanislaus or Sonoma State), but it's also a commuter school. I'm 23 and will be 24 if I can get in Fall of 2010, and knowing some people that attend there, I'd say it's very good to those younger (say late teens to upper 20s). They have a spectacular business program which is what I'm transferring in to, and overall they're solid. I just wouldn't say it's a dream school since I guess some people would just rate it as your run-of-the-mill commute state college but to me it's good for what I'm going to do.
that's interesting. i never heard anything but good things about all three (sac state, sonoma state, csu stan/stan state).

i went to csu stanislaus for a year and i liked the school. of course, the area it's in isn't bustling metropolis, but it's a nice alternative for older/non traditional students.

most california state universities are commuter schools (sans humboldt state, csu chico, cal polys) so it's going to be filled with people who have other priorities.

but, it all depends on what you're studying (like you said) and your personal preference.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:37 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I attend a CSU school now & plan to be a student at another CSU in spring 2010. No matter how bad the budget is, I just hope & pray that nothing disrupts my plan/path because I need to graduate, get my degree, get a good job, & live hallipy ever after.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I need to graduate, get my degree, get a good job, & live hallipy ever after.
That's what we all hope for .

Old 07-13-2009, 03:26 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
Because of the way our society is situated college is taken for granted simply because it is so common for people to go. The reason for that is because we have moved from an industrial country to a post-industrial country. Meaning we are now more service/specialty oriented, than production oriented.

Personally it would probably be a good idea for us to move back to industry. We would not need so many people going to college, we could focus on skills that are more applicable, and we could actually produce things we could sell. But we have not reached that point yet. We are still in transition. Hopefully we will make the transition to something better, but that remains to be seen.
There are some who predict a shrinking of the number of students majoring in liberal arts/liberal studies/etc.. Up until about 40 years ago most students attended college for a marketable skill major. The percentage of students in liberal arts/liberal studies type areas was much smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I think we have a need for people majoring in a variety of fields. But how many people do we as a society need to turn out who hold degrees in say history or music.

Quote:
I see your point. But I tend to see things on a broader scale, so I don't think the main problem is remedial classes or preparing students for college. I think our main problem is the system is organized in a way that is not functional - so every aspect of it is going to be effected. Education. Business. Farming. Family structure. Medicine. Its all interconnected and its all dysfunctional. We can try to focus on one aspect - education and think of short term fixes. But they are just that. Short term.
Exactly but at the same time we are in a budget crisis, so we need immediate (short term) fixes first to stop the hemorrhaging.

If only 50% of the CSU incoming freshman needs only 1 class in remedial work that is roughly 25,000 freshmen needing remediation. Interestingly that is roughly the same number of students that CSU says they will not have space for next year.

So maybe one short term answer is to deny admission to students who need remedial classes, no matter what their overall GPA or test scores might be. Require them to get remedial help elsewhere before being allowed to register at a campus.

Painful yes, but is it fair to deny admission to students who do not need remediation? There are not easy choices right now.

Quote:
I would like to say I have high hopes for the next generation, but I can't in all honesty say that. As much as I care about them I have to be truthful. They have grown up with a very different mindset than any generations that have proceeded them. They feel entitled. I don't know if any amount of hardship can change that. And maybe if they had to work, that would help. But how can they learn the value of hard work without jobs? I tried talking to a class recently about the economy. I tried telling them it might be hard for them to find jobs after high school. They just stared at me, and this one student started shaking his head in disbelief, as if I was lieing to him. They are very disconnected. I was not exagerating before when I said they would rather talk about American Idol than the state of America - that is the sad truth.
There are some interesting works out there that talk about the impact of the Great Depression and its societal change upon the generation raised during that decade. For example, Glen H. Elder's Children of the Great Depression: Social Change in Life Experience studied middle and working class families in the Bay Area during the 1930s.

I don't like seeing pain, but sometimes it is needed. Without it we don't know that something is wrong.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I don't like seeing pain, but sometimes it is needed. Without it we don't know that something is wrong.
Agreed Fresno. What field are you in by the way? I think you mentioned something about mentoring?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 AM

841 posts, read 2,261,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
This is a GOOD thing.

CSU's are perennially over-enrolled and accept low-quality students because they have to. This has led to some pretty big problems in the areas around the schools and the sinking reputation of the CSU system.

Hopefully this will weed out some of these loser, frat boy partiers who don't even attend classes to actual students can learn something.
Bingo

Old 07-14-2009, 02:53 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
The US dollar is collapsing fine all by itself, it doesn't need help from the Chinese. If anything the Chinese are doing us a favor by continuing to accept our currency in exchange for goods and services. But that is already changing. There have been hints by China and Russia that they want to start trading in a different currency.

Currency is basically an IOU. It is used in trade for the sole purpose of trading goods. So what goods are we trading? What are we producing? Lets say I want to trade you some apples for some of my oranges, but my crop got destroyed. You agree to accept an IOU. I keep giving you IOUs for the next several years. Still no oranges. Wouldn't you get a little tired after a while of accepting my worthless IOUs? That is what our dollar is. A piece of paper with no value behind it.

As far as CSUs go. I'm very familiar with them and I would say about 90% are US citizens.
Thanks for the lesson in macro econ 101, thought I'm not certain how it justifies flooding American universities with foreign nationals.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Quote:
Agreed Fresno. What field are you in by the way? I think you mentioned something about mentoring?
I'm in the business world. I've done corporate management, owned my own company, done consulting, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California