U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:01 PM

15,304 posts, read 17,714,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
Just breakin' your nuts, Coyote, I happen to love Berkeley and Santa Cruz. In fact, I think Capitola is one of the states great secrets. Now, some areas in Mendocino? Bring your banjo. Having said all that, I think Santa Cruz is pretty bohemian... don't you?

Does Capitola still have the restaurant with the cable car you take down the side of the hill to the restaurant, by the river?

Lustrums ago we used to go there for dinner sometimes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:59 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,425,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
Just breakin' your nuts, Coyote, I happen to love Berkeley and Santa Cruz. In fact, I think Capitola is one of the states great secrets. Now, some areas in Mendocino? Bring your banjo. Having said all that, I think Santa Cruz is pretty bohemian... don't you?
There's a few of us left ... enough to suit me.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 PM

15,304 posts, read 17,714,809 times
How about Sausalito. They used to have bathtub races & frogjumps.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:17 PM

29 posts, read 57,607 times
Default Santa Cruz ?

Hey Coyoteskye and others.

We were seriously considering Santa Cruz. How is it there ? We kind of like the European "awakeness" and diversity. That is to say that we are from Orange County Ca originally and they roll up the sidewalks at 8:PM. Everyone then goes nighty-night. We are looking for a place that is awake in SPIRIT and literally awake at night as well. A place where peolpe actually walk around and ride bikes and where most people don't care if you drive a MBZ or a BMW or a VW or live in a mansion. Perhaps you might even find a real artist or street musician as you walk to the grocery store. Is that what we might find in Santa Cruz ?

Thank you !
Patience

Old 11-14-2009, 04:56 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,821,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle_patience View Post

We were seriously considering Santa Cruz. How is it there ? We kind of like the European "awakeness" and diversity. That is to say that we are from Orange County Ca originally and they roll up the sidewalks at 8:PM. Everyone then goes nighty-night. We are looking for a place that is awake in SPIRIT and literally awake at night as well. A place where peolpe actually walk around and ride bikes and where most people don't care if you drive a MBZ or a BMW or a VW or live in a mansion. Perhaps you might even find a real artist or street musician as you walk to the grocery store. Is that what we might find in Santa Cruz ?

Thank you !
Patience
Even San Francisco rolls up the sidewalks fairly early by national city standards, so I'm not sure how late you are expecting but...

Western Marin County and West Sonoma County are good choices. As Grapico pointed out, geez, we have the Bohemian Highway, The Bohemian Newspaper & of course the super secret society of our nation's power players of the Bohemian Club...so semantically you'd be in just the right place.

Pt. Reyes, Bolinas, Petaluma, Sebastopol, Occidental, Guerneville, etc. etc.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle_patience View Post

Thank you !
Patience
I spent years in city living so i avoid it, don't care about "night-life" ('cept for the natural kind) and don't know what shuts down where and when.
As far as people caring what kinda car you drive ... not anyone i know and i can say that it's not a status driven area.
It's a place where i can be myself, not care what i wear, whether or not my hair is combed, etc.. and where, women, for example, don't feel the need to be skinny and big boobed, fashion conscious, etc.
One of the things i most like about Santa Cruz county (i don't live in S.C. proper) is that there is powerful and beautiful nature and yet, there's enough of an urban vibe close by so that i can get a hit of that when i want it, which to me, is valuable.
And S.F. is less than a 2 hour drive which is a big plus.
And yeah, though the art and artist scene has changed (where hasn't it?) there are artists throughout the county.
Good music comes through often.
Bela Fleck was here in August for example (if that means anything to you) and the Mermen (another favorite of mine) are located in the S.F. Bay area and play here regularly.
It's a very bike and bus friendly community.
That's all i can think to say.
I love the Monterey Bay and S.C. county in particular.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 PM

29 posts, read 57,607 times
[quote=bellalunatic;11627755]Even San Francisco rolls up the sidewalks fairly early by national city standards, so I'm not sure how late you are expecting but...

Western Marin County and West Sonoma County are good choices. As Grapico pointed out, geez, we have the Bohemian Highway, The Bohemian Newspaper & of course the super secret society of our nation's power players of the Bohemian Club...so semantically you'd be in just the right place.

Hehhehee... Sounds like its worth a visit !
Thanks !!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,838,680 times
I do not know if Bohemian Club lets women folk in, last time I thought about them, they did not.

Gentle-Patience, some years ago I spent a couple of weeks on a big fire up behind San Juan Capistrano, we worked an 80 hour shift (my personal record) saving Coto De Caza from the fire. We had Thanksgiving dinner brought in by helicopter. When we finally got down off the mountain we came down onto Highway 74, drove into San Juan Capistrano, found a place that sold Ice Cream and filled up.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:28 PM

142 posts, read 515,830 times
I am in Oregon and there IS income tax, property tax
but no sales tax.

The weather today is wild and windy, 50 mph gusts,
and the forecast is for ongoing rain for the next two
weeks.

Yes, it does rain and rain in Oregon.

5 years ago .. Capitola did have that restaurant mentioned
with the cable car... loved it there.

I love CA and would not even CONSIDER Oregon.

Ferndale, Victorian and remotely situated...

Arcata, quaint ...

Guerneville.. looks fascinating and have meant
to check it out but never had the chance.

Santa Cruz, love the amusement pier

Mendocino...love the scenery

Santa Barbara, expensive, but love the
town and Old Spanish motif

Lompoc, visited many times and it had
a coffee/bohemian type 'cafe' which
was very cozy and lots of tables
some outside, and goodies to eat.

Isla Vista... last time I checked it seemed
to have lost its quaint ways.. seemed
overly developed and I was most disappointed.

Chico.. college town and probably has some
Bohemian districts... I don't know ... but I
liked the Sierra Nevada Brewery food.

Do I ever miss California.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 PM

[quote=Clarks;11655341]I do not know if Bohemian Club lets women folk in, last time I thought about them, they did not.

Yeah well the club isn't the bohemian ...
.... Richard Nixon an honorary member ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California