U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 PM

15,423 posts, read 25,317,722 times

Advertisements

Part of the problem with CA seems to be all the people that like to think it's some god given right to be able to own a detached single family home. CA doesn't have all that land to keep expanding forever like TX and even TX will eventually hit a limit. The inner loop of Houston does not seem that cheap to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 PM

8,262 posts, read 26,268,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
If you live in the boonies, TX is cheap and so is CA.
No way. You don't need to spend 500k in TX to live in a nice area and you don't need to live in the boonies either. My aunt's most recent home in SA was 260k and it is in a really nice area. We have a friend in Austin lives in an amazing house that was like 300k and is in the hill country like 20 minutes from downtown. Our friend in H-town lives in a luxury penthouse condo that is bigger than my house that cost her less than 200k.

You can't beat TX for housing / pay spread. There are certainly drawbacks but that isn't one of them.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,081,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Already, upscale suburbs of Dallas or Houston or Austin cost far more than upscale suburbs of Silicon Valley or NYC (compare land costs); thus, suspect cost equilibration is not far away....and CA's intellectual/innovation culture (in Silicon Valley)/weather/topography/produce/hedonism (on LA's Westside) are awfully addictive, esp if costs are relatively similar for high-income, high-skill workers or entrepreneurs
Stop...I'm having flashbacks...!
YouTube - Dallas TV Series Intro Haven't we been here before?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:35 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,062,839 times
Food for thought:

VDH's Private Papers::The War Against the Producers

Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 PM

1,504 posts, read 5,459,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
No way. You don't need to spend 500k in TX to live in a nice area and you don't need to live in the boonies either. My aunt's most recent home in SA was 260k and it is in a really nice area. We have a friend in Austin lives in an amazing house that was like 300k and is in the hill country like 20 minutes from downtown. Our friend in H-town lives in a luxury penthouse condo that is bigger than my house that cost her less than 200k.

You can't beat TX for housing / pay spread. There are certainly drawbacks but that isn't one of them.

That housing / pay spread was high 5 years ago. Since then, housing prices in TX have been going up steadily and prices in CA have been going down. Endless supply of land helps TX a lot, for sure. But things are not as out of whack as many might think.

To take SA as an example. Most of SA is as unlivable by modern young professional standards as Encanto or City Heights (massive numbers of English learners and free lunches, not a white face in sight). In a city where 50% of households speak Spanish at home, that's unavoidable. If you want decent schools, you have to travel to the northern outskirts, perhaps 15-20 miles from downtown.

This is what you get in a good part of SA for 350k if you work downtown and you're willing to travel 20 miles to work:

Cyberhomes.com (http://www.cyberhomes.com/vlisting.aspx?orgid=txsabor&listingid=786570 - broken link)

This is what you get 20 miles from dowtown San Diego:

SDLookup.com | 736*River*Rock - MLS# 090021196

Old 07-13-2009, 08:21 PM

8,262 posts, read 26,268,668 times
Quote:
you have to travel to the northern outskirts, perhaps 15-20 miles from downtown.
Look at Terrell Hills or Heights, a place called Oak Park on the north side. It is a nice area with good schools about 10 minutes from downtown, and you can get a house on a half acre for 250k there.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,463,523 times
Quote:
That housing / pay spread was high 5 years ago. Since then, housing prices in TX have been going up steadily and prices in CA have been going down. Endless supply of land helps TX a lot, for sure. But things are not as out of whack as many might think.

To take SA as an example. Most of SA is as unlivable by modern young professional standards as Encanto or City Heights (massive numbers of English learners and free lunches, not a white face in sight). In a city where 50% of households speak Spanish at home, that's unavoidable. If you want decent schools, you have to travel to the northern outskirts, perhaps 15-20 miles from downtown.

This is what you get in a good part of SA for 350k if you work downtown and you're willing to travel 20 miles to work:

Cyberhomes.com (http://www.cyberhomes.com/vlisting.aspx?orgid=txsabor&listingid=786570 - broken link)

This is what you get 20 miles from dowtown San Diego:

SDLookup.com | 736*River*Rock - MLS# 090021196
You are cherry picking properties to make your point. My parents live in SA and have since 1975. It is easy to find 3000 sq. ft. homes for < $300K in the Northeast school district which is an established nice part of town.

The selection of affordable good homes in San Antonio (and other Texas cities) is excellent. I don't know what Encanto is like - but I think a more reasonable comparison to San Antonio is San Jose. No comparison in home affordability.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 PM

1,504 posts, read 5,459,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You are cherry picking properties to make your point. My parents live in SA and have since 1975. It is easy to find 3000 sq. ft. homes for < $300K in the Northeast school district which is an established nice part of town.

The selection of affordable good homes in San Antonio (and other Texas cities) is excellent. I don't know what Encanto is like - but I think a more reasonable comparison to San Antonio is San Jose. No comparison in home affordability.
San Antonio vs. San Jose is a very bad comparison. San Jose is on the edge of Silicon Valley. I'm a software engineer. If I lived in San Jose, I could probably find ten companies within a reasonable commute time with six-figure jobs for me, even in this economy. San Antonio has few well-paying jobs.

Even San Diego is not a good match for SA. Median household income in San Antonio: 42k, in San Diego: 60k, in San Jose: 76k.

It's hard to find a place in California that would be similar in all aspects (incomes, jobs, ethnic composition) to San Antonio. Something like San Bernardino or Bakersfield, perhaps. Definitely not San Jose.

P.S.

I just ran some queries on monster. Within 30 miles from San Jose, I see 870 vacancies in computer software, biotech & pharma. In San Diego, I see 430. In San Antonio, 85.

Last edited by esmith143; 07-13-2009 at 10:04 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 PM

213 posts, read 664,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Part of the problem with CA seems to be all the people that like to think it's some god given right to be able to own a detached single family home. CA doesn't have all that land to keep expanding forever like TX and even TX will eventually hit a limit. The inner loop of Houston does not seem that cheap to me.

Exactly nothing wrong with having a condo etc... My aunt lives in a nice condo area out in Santee. And yes the mountains we have can be hard to get round in building but at least they're beautiful.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 AM

230 posts, read 516,339 times
Quote:
If you live in the boonies, TX is cheap and so is CA.
When I lived in Houston about seven years ago I had a nice apartment in a good neighborhood off Westheimer, less than two miles west of 610 and the Galleria, for $570 a month.

That price has probably inflated since then, but is no doubt still close to half of what you would pay for a comparable 1 BR in a comparably good neighborhood anywhere in southern California. On top of that, gas was much cheaper (taking recent inflation into account) and utilities were far more reasonable than what I'm experiencing now, and that was with running the A/C to combat the Houston heat.

I didn't make a lot of money but still had little trouble affording big-city life. Didn't even have to take on a roommate. Now, making more money than I did then, I'm living with a roommate in a shadier apartment complex, in a shadier city (Anaheim), and experience a lotta pain in trying to make ends meet. The cost of living in this state continues to astound me.

The only thing California has over Texas is the weather, and I'd still make that trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or