U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,481,846 times

Advertisements

I guess the OP speaks for all Americans at the ripe age of 25 and single. No children (or anyone else) to care for.

In case you haven't figured it out - many millions of Americans don't like an urban lifestyle. Many millions do. The good part of the USA that there are good places for people to live and achieve reasonable happiness (whatever that means for them).

The OP wants to pigeon hole all 25 million Texas residents. No more appropriate than trying to pigeon hole all 38 million California residents.

I think the only thing the OP can do is speak for himself. He's 25, renting an apartment, living in a cosomopolitan city and he's happy. Good for him.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,273,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
the pro's just outweigh the con's
That's a valid and balanced point which is why many millions of Californians still reamsin there by choice. In my case, the cons eventually outweighed the pros, especially after feeling stuck in Silicon Valley for over 10 years...

10 things I will miss about SV

10 things I won't miss about SV

Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,080,356 times
hey destroycreate ... I am a patriotic native Californian who believes in American exceptionalism.

Got a problem with that?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,080,356 times
Quote:
NYC, California, Boston, DC, Chicago, perhaps even Philly are the only cities that are cosmopolotain and interesting.

Elsewhere? Flyover country.
YAHHHHHHH MAAAAHHHN!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaahhhh mahn!

Flyover country ... rednecks ... Fascist Pigs!

Patriotic steak chomping Taliban blasting robots!

Bunch of chumps in double wides!

YAAAAHHHH mahn! /sarc

You know what Mr. 25 year old? You are a chip off the old Boomer hippie freak, at least, when it comes to ideology.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:41 AM

328 posts, read 874,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
hey destroycreate ... I am a patriotic native Californian who believes in American exceptionalism.

Got a problem with that?
Yes I do, because you weren't supposed to be born here. I believe it was Mississipi that was your calling.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 AM

3,103 posts, read 6,820,909 times
You guys are being too hard on the OP. No one is bashing the people of CA or really the state. What people are bashing and complaining the most about on these threads are the high cost of living and the CA government. CA is a great place to live if you are a gazillionaire. Those who were born here (years ago) remember a different CA that was more desirable and where people could raise families it is not the same place when I was growing up.

Also, you stereotyped other places outside of CA and I'm not sure you have lived elsewhere. Not fair at all to do.A lot of Texas' new residents come from CA, NY, DC, etc. so they must like what it has to offer like the low cost of living. As many have already touched on if you had kids and or are operating and or trying to do business in this place and were a homeowner you would have more to complain about too.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 AM

15,564 posts, read 36,493,114 times
I didn't read all the posts, but I too am tired of all the negativity toward CA. I live here, I'm 45 years old, I own a home here, I work here, my vehicles are registered here, and I pay taxes here. At one time I left CA and moved to TX. Had a beautiful home built in TX. I didn't care for TX and couldn't wait to get back home to CA. I am so happy to be back here and I would never leave here again. The grass is not greener outside of CA for a lot of people. I like the grass in CA just fine.

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 07-14-2009 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 11:54 AM

15,699 posts, read 26,694,100 times
I have been in many parts of this nation of ours and love every place I have visited. I think it has something to do with my ability to see the good and great in other things, people, places. Have yet to find a place that doesn't have something that I like. Growing up and living in California for me has been a blessing. Love every minute of it. At the same time it is not cheap to live here especially with 6 kids. We do what we have to do but now that includes a home in Arizona that we also love. Many of my family members have moved to the Phoenix area due to the ability to start a new life at a cheaper cost of living. We planned on doing the same but I have an amazing job and could not find something that matched it in the Phoenix area. The real deal is that people move for differant reasons. Many follow employment opportunities. Others just like an area. Always a reason to live here or there.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:00 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,692,134 times
Quote:

If you want NASCAR, head to the South.
Or Fontana...

I've been in So Cal for all of my 54 years, save for my hitch in the service. I still like it here and have no plans to leave. The only negativity I encounter here that I don't ignore are the out-and-out lies, and they're not all that common.

Water off a duck's back.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,875,957 times
Quote:
NYC, California, Boston, DC, Chicago, perhaps even Philly are the only cities that are cosmopolotain and interesting.

Elsewhere? Flyover country.
California is your favorite city?

btw: You forgot SF, Portland, Seattle, Houston, and San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or