U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM

30,701 posts, read 33,473,253 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Bay Area my entire life. Yes I've seen changes and not all have been good, but I've been fortunate and wouldn't leave unless I was forced to for economic reasons. I understand why people who have been priced out are bitter about things.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,445,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
hey destroycreate ... I am a patriotic native Californian who believes in American exceptionalism.

Got a problem with that?
what is american exceptionalism please?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
what is american exceptionalism please?

Link!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:46 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,141,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Yes I do, because you weren't supposed to be born here. I believe it was Mississipi that was your calling.
40 years ago you could tell who the native Californians were versus the Greenhorns from back east. The natives were the ones with lots of guns.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Thanks JetJockey. To be honest, my post was misinterpreted. It wasn't bashing people who moved elsewhere or who were struggling to pay rents, but merely stating that I was tired of people complaining about CA constantly and not looking at the positives in it, and admitting there are reasons worth staying in CA and they require sacrifices.

Everybody is right. I'm sure if I had a big family and lived in the suburbs it would be different, but at the moment, I love CA and there's the pro's just outweigh the con's too much for me to be able to move to Plano, Texas for supposedly better pastures.
It would be very different and quite frankly, given that choice I'd stay put too. California decidedly has a lot to recommend it and is unique among the states in many good ways. Your productive years are just beginning and your earning years as well. Remember that many of us are far beyond that point, retired and leaving to capitalize on our retirement dollars because they're limited.

We will leave with some regrets. We will also leave with many fond memories. You have many decades to make yours. Our time is finite.

Best of luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 02:01 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,563,164 times
California tends to be defined by its cities, but an awful lot of California is not city. Half the fresh fruit and vegetables in the country comes from California, along with a good chunk of its dairy (let the "fruits and nuts" jokes begin.) That means farms, and farmers, and farm towns. And then there's the large chunk of California that is still wilderness, with humanity's outposts tiny specks on a dramatic and dominating landscape.

I like California not just because of its interesting and lively cities but also because of its equally interesting if sleepy small towns. On one weekend I can take a trip to San Francisco and see tall buildings, and the next weekend I can drive out into the hinterlands and see small-town America, California style. Good eating is as near as the closest farm stand or small-town diner, and entertainment more about breathtaking natural vistas than Broadway-quality shows. A lot of folks from the middle parts of the country whose only experience with California is what they see on TV would feel right at home in small-town California.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,141,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
40 years ago you could tell who the native Californians were versus the Greenhorns from back east. The natives were the ones with lots of guns.
Even as recently as the early 80s, I can still recall seeing pickups with gun racks being utilized, in the SF burbs.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Quote:
Oh boo-hoo. You can't have your rifle to go out and shoot innocent animals?

If you want NASCAR, head to the South.
Peel off your blinders. You seem to have a preset opinion of people who still love CA but see the problems it faces and how much trouble it is in. Perhaps people living in the burbs do so because of the inner city crime? I do not hunt, hate hunting, love animals and do not love NASCAR. Stay in your gummy little crime ridden apartment complex and tell yourself how cool you are. We left CA 4 years ago and sadly can not return in our lifetime and we took our cool with us.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:48 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It would be very different and quite frankly, given that choice I'd stay put too. California decidedly has a lot to recommend it and is unique among the states in many good ways. Your productive years are just beginning and your earning years as well. Remember that many of us are far beyond that point, retired and leaving to capitalize on our retirement dollars because they're limited.

We will leave with some regrets. We will also leave with many fond memories. You have many decades to make yours. Our time is finite.

Best of luck!
It really was the most beautiful state in the union. I do hope I live long enough to see it bounce back.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:08 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
It really was the most beautiful state in the union. I do hope I live long enough to see it bounce back.
Chances are I won't live that long and even if I do, it will be priced out of our reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or