U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 PM
 
19 posts, read 55,246 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Hi,

I live and work in Charlotte NC, and we have a very good cost of living versus salary lifestyle. I'm in talks with a recruiter for a job (promotion) with a company located in the Watsonville/Monteray area.

So far... my research shows that the salary there should be 10% higher just to equal mine here. However, it shows that the homes there are 400% more on average. For example, a $40k salary here (NC) is the same as a $44k salary there (CA). For houses, a $100k house here (NC) would be $400k there (CA).

If there is not much difference in income, how do average salary people afford even average priced homes?

Also, any input/advice on the area would be great. For example, the crime, weather, demographics, cleanliness, schools, things to do... I'm 28 and single male. THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2007, 07:28 PM
 
889 posts, read 2,140,147 times
Reputation: 331
Well to answer your question most cant aford it!!!
I moved away from that exact area to Mooresville,NC to get away form the high cost of living.
Trust me, on that type of salary your making just $4,000 more per year is not worth it to move there.There are no homes in the $400k that you can possibly buy. Watsonville is no great place to live, Monterey even for a one bedroom apt. will cost you around $900 to $1,000 per month more or less depending exactly where you'd be.Its all about location there.
Stay where you are at unless you can make more$$$$$ to live in that area of Calif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 PM
 
4 posts, read 32,478 times
Reputation: 18
Whatever you do, avoid Watsonville like the plague. I was born and raised there and moved further towards the Aptos area in my late teens. I moved back briefly in my thirties and am just now moving out again. Its terrible here. It is full of gangs, the school system is terrible, the reverse discrimination I have faced walking into stores, restaurants, movie theaters is awful. It costs a fortune to live here and the town is just plain unattractive. Even the Target is dirty and not well-stocked. Housing is ridiculously expensive. If you plan to buy, expect to spend at least $650K for something decent. The bad neighborhoods definitely outweigh the good ones. There are very few good restaurants (although Cilantros and Green Valley Grill and Imuras are pretty good). The traffic is bad, the nearest decent shopping mall is three towns away...don't waste your time, this place really is a pit. If you are looking for a good, family friendly, culturally diverse and extremely affordable area (for the coast) I would suggest South Salinas. I was surprised to move there and find out it is really a fantastic little area and close to Monterey/Santa Cruz. I really liked it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2007, 10:00 AM
 
Location: CA Coast
1,900 posts, read 252,364 times
Reputation: 350
North Salinas, and Prunedale may be workable. Check the areas carefully.
If you can afford it, you will find the area wonderful to live in. Monterey is one of the worlds finest communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 04:15 AM
 
Location: Chico, CA
104 posts, read 330,642 times
Reputation: 57
Monterey is a nice town, but during the summer it's cold and foggy most of the time (as it is with most north coast locations). Living on the coast isn't fun if you have to wear a jacket/sweatshirt in the summertime.

The cost of living is also through the roof.

Like Mvn2nc stated, unless your salary goes up by 400%, you're gonna be flat broke. $44K/yr doesn't go very far out here... that's about what my wife and I pull in together, and we live in a dump in the ghetto part of town... and we're not even close to the 'really desirable' California locations.

Oh, and Mvn2nc, we're coming out to NC to scout about as well... decided that Texas was gonna be way too hot and humid, plus gang activity is on an upswing in all the areas we were looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 08:35 PM
 
889 posts, read 2,140,147 times
Reputation: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixjones View Post
Monterey is a nice town, but during the summer it's cold and foggy most of the time (as it is with most north coast locations). Living on the coast isn't fun if you have to wear a jacket/sweatshirt in the summertime.

The cost of living is also through the roof.

Like Mvn2nc stated, unless your salary goes up by 400%, you're gonna be flat broke. $44K/yr doesn't go very far out here... that's about what my wife and I pull in together, and we live in a dump in the ghetto part of town... and we're not even close to the 'really desirable' California locations.

Oh, and Mvn2nc, we're coming out to NC to scout about as well... decided that Texas was gonna be way too hot and humid, plus gang activity is on an upswing in all the areas we were looking at.
Good for you to check it all out, it is the happenin place,hope you like it )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2007, 10:38 PM
 
Location: CA Coast
1,900 posts, read 252,364 times
Reputation: 350
My mother grew up in North Carolina, lives on the foggy coast of CA, and won't go back to the south in the summer.

Her problem is with the heat and humidity. I tend to agree, 90 and 90 doesn't do it for me, that and there is little wild land, and no mountains, hills, but not mountains. My son and I hiked to the summit of Mt Mitchell, it was a tough hike, the smoke clouding the trail from the huge number of cigarette smokers walking along the paved trail nearly killed us. My son who was pretty young at the time got a kick out of the fact that our home in a valley was at the same elevation as the summit of Mt Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi.

And another useless factoid. The lowest branch on the General Sherman Tree in Sequoia Park in California comes out from the trunk and turns upward. It alone is taller than any tree east of the Mississippi.

I will say that Ocracoke is worth flying clear across the country to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 AM
 
2 posts, read 13,671 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron49er View Post
Hi,

I live and work in Charlotte NC, and we have a very good cost of living versus salary lifestyle. I'm in talks with a recruiter for a job (promotion) with a company located in the Watsonville/Monteray area.

So far... my research shows that the salary there should be 10% higher just to equal mine here. However, it shows that the homes there are 400% more on average. For example, a $40k salary here (NC) is the same as a $44k salary there (CA). For houses, a $100k house here (NC) would be $400k there (CA).

If there is not much difference in income, how do average salary people afford even average priced homes?

Also, any input/advice on the area would be great. For example, the crime, weather, demographics, cleanliness, schools, things to do... I'm 28 and single male. THANKS!!!
In Watsonville there is a bar called "Alcachofa" . Very nice bar if you want to find the women !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
6,868 posts, read 16,981,417 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron49er View Post
If there is not much difference in income, how do average salary people afford even average priced homes?
No money down, interest-only or negative amortization loans, rent out to a family of illegals, convert the garage and rent it out to another...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
 
889 posts, read 2,140,147 times
Reputation: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
No money down, interest-only or negative amortization loans, rent out to a family of illegals, convert the garage and rent it out to another...
That was funny and probably true at times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top