U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Oregon
1,169 posts, read 3,392,935 times
Reputation: 572

Advertisements

So where exactly does the geographical border of the central valley start and stop? It sounds like from Bakersfield up to Sacramento is considered part of it at least? I thought Sacramento was a very nice town, but not so fond of what I did see of Fresno. Lodi looked cute too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 5,371,440 times
Reputation: 815
The Central Valley runs from basically Redding to Bakersfield.

The Central Valley is a generic name for 2 regions, north of the Delta region (the Delta is located near Stockton) is the Sacramento Valley, south of the Delta is the San Joaquin Valley.

Basically the 2 names follow the 2 large rivers that meet at the Delta.

Not sure what parts you saw of Fresno, but if you only drove through on 99 or through parts of downtown, no it doesn't look "nice" because those are industrial and poorer areas. But if you get off the freeways and explore the northern or eastern residential areas, walk/bike the San Joaquin River Parkway, visit the Tower District or Mural District, explore Old Town Clovis, etc. it is very different area than what some people see/hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
1,554 posts, read 4,820,426 times
Reputation: 695
Is somebody from Boise Idaho really saying Fresno Sucks? LOL. Yes i've been to Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2009, 06:03 PM
 
Location: The OC
1,215 posts, read 2,472,330 times
Reputation: 465
I would never live in the middle of nowhere and I don't care if the people are friendly or not. I prefer somewhere more exciting and "busy" and urban like Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Oregon
1,169 posts, read 3,392,935 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
The Central Valley runs from basically Redding to Bakersfield.

The Central Valley is a generic name for 2 regions, north of the Delta region (the Delta is located near Stockton) is the Sacramento Valley, south of the Delta is the San Joaquin Valley.

Basically the 2 names follow the 2 large rivers that meet at the Delta.

Not sure what parts you saw of Fresno, but if you only drove through on 99 or through parts of downtown, no it doesn't look "nice" because those are industrial and poorer areas. But if you get off the freeways and explore the northern or eastern residential areas, walk/bike the San Joaquin River Parkway, visit the Tower District or Mural District, explore Old Town Clovis, etc. it is very different area than what some people see/hear.
Thanks for the info. That's a big area.
You're correct, I only drove through on the 99, and maybe got off on one of the exits to eat somewhere. Good to know there is more to it than meets the eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 02:55 PM
 
Location: West LA
2,318 posts, read 6,996,348 times
Reputation: 1097
I would say a general rule of thumb should be to never for an opinion of a city based on what one sees from the freeway. Freeways typically run through less attractive parts of town... and affluent people typically don't want to buy homes right next to them because the are ugly and loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Business ethics is an oxymoron.
1,857 posts, read 2,256,752 times
Reputation: 3890
The wife and I just bought a brand new, hell-of-a nice house just outside of Tulare. Say what you want about the Central Valley, but I think it's the best thing I've ever done. I thank the Lord that the opportunity finally presented itself. It's quiet. It's clean. It's affordable. And all the "comforts" of so-called big city/suburban living are all under 20 minutes away. And most of all, it's not so freaking crowded up here (unlike LA and vicinity) where you put your pants on in the morning and there's already someone in there with you. So I get the best of both worlds.

Maybe you think the SJV has nothing to offer. I guess that depends on what your expectations are. I mean if you are a hopeless "culture fanatic", where you just can't function unless you are within walking distance of a fish-taco stand and a Bulgarian art museum, yeah. It's probably not for you.

But here are some pictures that I took from my back yard.

Try doing this anywhere in LA.







So if the Central Valley is an anathema to you? Great. Stay away. That just means I won't have to worry about these views disappearing anytime soon.

Some folks will look at the above and see a whole lot of nothing. They need to have the security blanket of being engulfed in high rise buildings and endless concrete. More power to you if that describes you. But for me (and I'm sure others), the fact that I see mostly just empty spaces and have lots of elbow room is in itself the SJV's greatest appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 5,371,440 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
And most of all, it's not so freaking crowded up here (unlike LA and vicinity) where you put your pants on in the morning and there's already someone in there with you.
LOL, one of the best lines I've read all week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
But here are some pictures that I took from my back yard.
Great pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Oregon
1,169 posts, read 3,392,935 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
The wife and I just bought a brand new, hell-of-a nice house just outside of Tulare. Say what you want about the Central Valley, but I think it's the best thing I've ever done. I thank the Lord that the opportunity finally presented itself. It's quiet. It's clean. It's affordable. And all the "comforts" of so-called big city/suburban living are all under 20 minutes away. And most of all, it's not so freaking crowded up here (unlike LA and vicinity) where you put your pants on in the morning and there's already someone in there with you. So I get the best of both worlds.

Maybe you think the SJV has nothing to offer. I guess that depends on what your expectations are. I mean if you are a hopeless "culture fanatic", where you just can't function unless you are within walking distance of a fish-taco stand and a Bulgarian art museum, yeah. It's probably not for you.

But here are some pictures that I took from my back yard.

Try doing this anywhere in LA.







So if the Central Valley is an anathema to you? Great. Stay away. That just means I won't have to worry about these views disappearing anytime soon.

Some folks will look at the above and see a whole lot of nothing. They need to have the security blanket of being engulfed in high rise buildings and endless concrete. More power to you if that describes you. But for me (and I'm sure others), the fact that I see mostly just empty spaces and have lots of elbow room is in itself the SJV's greatest appeal.

OMG. That is a beautiful view. Is that a vineyard behind you, or trees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,141,763 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
That's weird that there are places with more Hispanics than Stockton. I mean if I didn't know any better, I'd think Stockton was a special legal town for Mexicans, kinda like an Indian reservation. There's next to no diversity in much of Stockton, just Mexicans, Mexicans driving by, etc. It has such lopsided diversity for a large city.
It's like this through much of Napa County in the North Bay Area as well..

As for the Central Valley, Turlock is a pretty diverse little town in Stanislaus county.. Stockton seems more diverse than Manteca or Merced to the South.. Some of the little towns in Merced county such as Winton, Ballico, etc.. look like little villages in Mexico complete with rooster fighting and taco trucks..

Fresno seems to get a bad rap, but it's pretty metropolitan considering it's geographical location.. Clovis is a cute little town too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top