Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:27 PM

8 posts, read 36,634 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My name is Mary (www.CenterStageFigures.com)
I currently live in Maryland, via my home town of Seattle. I want to move back to west cost. Most of my family lives in San Diego but I am more of a North cali kinda girl. I visited Monetary last year and love it! If I could have a house in the Big Sur area I would die happy. Looking at the prices it is hard for me to stomach 700k for a 2 bedroom condo.

Here is where I need your help:
I am looking for a area that has view of big pines, mountains and the sea. Similar to Seattle or Big Sur. I am a laid back/flip flop wearing kind of chick. I am looking for a "The west Cost attitude" and the views like big Sur, without paying more then 400-600K for a single family home.

Can anyone suggest towns/cities I may visit to check out the area. I would like to leave DC in the next 2-3 years max.

Thank You in Advance,
Mary

Last edited by BellaBell; 04-19-2007 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 06:18 AM

159 posts, read 808,184 times
I love Fort Bragg and the Mendocino area.. very laid back but
still expensive. Further up North is Eureka and Arcata. I've
heard Arcata is a very laid back town with lots of college kids
and progressive thinking. I haven't been there but I do know it's
more affordable than other coastal area's of California and seems to
fit what you are looking for as a possibility.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,663,398 times
The question is - will you need to work in that town too

If you don't need to go somewhere for work - this is easily find -able

Old 04-20-2007, 10:31 PM

67 posts, read 270,746 times
Look up Bodega Bay. This is the town that was featured in the Hitchcock movie, "The Birds". Though I'm leaving California for good in a week, I want to say that you will probably like it here. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:00 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,756,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi View Post
I love Fort Bragg and the Mendocino area.. very laid back but
still expensive. Further up North is Eureka and Arcata. I've
heard Arcata is a very laid back town with lots of college kids
and progressive thinking. I haven't been there but I do know it's
more affordable than other coastal area's of California and seems to
fit what you are looking for as a possibility.
I second the above suggestions... it's great up in those areas! But as CityGirl mentioned, it depends on whether you'll be looking for work - because these towns don't have great job markets. Others I'd suggest are San Luis Obispo (a little pricey, but they have some cheaper outlying towns), Petaluma, Half Moon Bay, and Santa Cruz.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 AM

Thank you for the feed back. I have been looking into the areas via web site links. I will have to work, I am a Social Worker mainly with Children and Families. I also want to open a Doggy Day Care and Spa. Here in DC I own a Fitness biz and a Day Spa. I will sell both before heading to CA. Hope to be able to live off the Doggy Day Care/Spa but if not I have Social Work to fall back on. My friend mentioned Pismo Beach and my Dad mentioned Santa Cruz as well. I hope I will just know when I visit the areas mentioned.
Mary

Old 08-30-2007, 10:23 PM

I have moved up my plans to leave DC! I plan to be in CA by next fall. I will come to CA this winter to look at the towns named, if anyone else has other towns they would suggest please let me know, as I am mapping out my plans. Can't wait to leave DC and the rat race behind. Thank you in advance, Mary

Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 AM

85 posts, read 245,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBell View Post
Hi Everyone,
My name is Mary (Home | Center Stage Figures)
I currently live in Maryland, via my home town of Seattle. I want to move back to west cost. Most of my family lives in San Diego but I am more of a North cali kinda girl. I visited Monetary last year and love it! If I could have a house in the Big Sur area I would die happy. Looking at the prices it is hard for me to stomach 700k for a 2 bedroom condo.

Here is where I need your help:
I am looking for a area that has view of big pines, mountains and the sea. Similar to Seattle or Big Sur. I am a laid back/flip flop wearing kind of chick. I am looking for a "The west Cost attitude" and the views like big Sur, without paying more then 400-600K for a single family home.

Can anyone suggest towns/cities I may visit to check out the area. I would like to leave DC in the next 2-3 years max.

Thank You in Advance,
Mary
Santa Cruz (for the flip-flop lifestyle) or Pacific Grove (close beach access with good tree lined homes) are good locals. Also may want to consider HWY 68 in between Salinas and Monterey...plenty of great homes in the mountains for maximum privacy but yet close enough to drive to the beach.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:12 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,207,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBell View Post
Thank you for the feed back. I have been looking into the areas via web site links. I will have to work, I am a Social Worker mainly with Children and Families. I also want to open a Doggy Day Care and Spa. Here in DC I own a Fitness biz and a Day Spa. I will sell both before heading to CA. Hope to be able to live off the Doggy Day Care/Spa but if not I have Social Work to fall back on. My friend mentioned Pismo Beach and my Dad mentioned Santa Cruz as well. I hope I will just know when I visit the areas mentioned.
Mary
When looking at the towns you consider, check out the doggy daycares and boarding facilities in regards to their length of time and any growth in their business(es) since they've opened their doors. You might want to seek out a town without that service. I work for a pet care facility in Idaho and with the doors being opened for 10 years, we're in the final process of the third expansion. This is a rural, yet turning type community and no formal advertising whatsoever

Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the advice, I am now looking at Placer county since I seem to have most of my check list, my best friend lives there and the houseing is affordable, about the same as DC. I am so glad to be leaving here and once I "find" my new home I will start my investigation process.

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California