U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:49 AM

4 posts, read 14,805 times

Advertisements

its clear to me that some people understand what and why im trying to do this and there are those people( who have been the good citizen) all there life and say that just because im a ex-felon i should not have a gun. I am not a repeat offender i have never done drugs in my life and i have no prior record before this or after this issue.Opinions are everywhere here and everyone has said there peace on what they believe to be right. i was hoping for some guidance as to where are who to speak to since i know nothing and no one out here but i got nothing.I feel sad for those people who have never had the desire to take his son out hunting for whatever. I grew up with guns in the house and we went deer hunting every year so guns played a big role in my up bringing.The only thing that i did learn from posting this is that there are some people in the world that will judge me by my past and not for what i have not done.Other than this issue i have been the outstanding person just like everyone else and you would not even know that i was ever in prison unless i told you .I am not a gang banger past or present nor do i have any tatoos at all. I am your normal person that lives next door to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:31 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,940,785 times
Guns dont kill people felons do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,5157747.story

Last edited by impala666; 07-25-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 04:45 PM

218 posts, read 697,861 times
I find it interesting that you state your felony was a dumb mistake and you've been an upstanding citizen since then but at the same time are considering becoming what you claim you are not (a repeat offender) because you would like to own a gun. I'm not judging you by your past, I'm looking at what you want to do now! If you've changed and become a law abiding citizen just like any other person next door, then breaking the law (or attempting to circumvent it by your wife buying a gun) wouldn't even be a consideration. You've been to jail, why would you ever want to risk going back and leaving your family without you?

I also "get" the hunting bit as I live in an area where they shut down schools for the first week of deer season because nobody shows up anyway. However, the law is what it is. You have options to obtain a gun legally that will take money and some measure of effort on your part. Your other option is to obtain a gun anwyay and deal with potential consequences. You have a choice to make and it's up to you to obey the laws or not. Is the risk worth the reward? Is the potential jail time worth a hunting trip with your son?

I think it's a lot of risk for no reward. You can take up bow hunting if you want to teach your son the thrill of the hunt (it's much more challenging and requires significantly more skill anyway). If it's an appreciation of the outdoors, take him "hunting" with a camera instead of a gun. Or, if the real goal is some quality father/son time, there are plenty of other things you can do outdoors (fishing, camping, hiking, climbing, rappelling, etc) that create a great bonding experience.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:06 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,215,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper53 View Post
its clear to me that some people understand what and why im trying to do this and there are those people( who have been the good citizen) all there life and say that just because im a ex-felon i should not have a gun. ,,,,,.
That's it in a nutshell, we all do understand and we respect the law.
There is no A vs. B in your case. You broke the law and lost some rights - now you go on in life and try to teach your son how to obey the law. You still have the right to petition the court and expunge your record.

If you respect the right to own firearms at all you would see how you are potentially damaging the right for lawful citizens. We are fighting everyday to keep the right of firearms ownership, if we allowed felons to possess - we will all lose the right.

Please respect us as well - take up archery!
I have bows and a crossbow, a lot of fun. We even get a early season on deer hunting.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,367,812 times
Did the felony stalking incident involve physical violence? If so, then I would say that not only does the OP have no legal leg to stand on, but not even a moral one - most folks would agree that a convicted violent felon has no business with a firearm ever again in his life.

If it did not involve any violence, and it was a first offense, then how on earth did it result in a two-year prison sentence? This seems really hard to believe.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:48 AM

6,662 posts, read 26,215,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
,,,,If it did not involve any violence, and it was a first offense, then how on earth did it result in a two-year prison sentence? This seems really hard to believe.
As so often every felon is in on bum raps.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,379,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper53 View Post
I am your normal person that lives next door to everyone.
No you're not! Let's call a spade a spade. Under the law you're a former felon, right, wrong or indifferent.

Go ahead and have someone buy you that gun you crave but when you get locked up for another 16 months or more and are back on parole, please don't come here whining.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,893 times
you guys are all morons im an exfelon and people make mistakes that doesnt mean they should suffer the rest of there life for it all you people that think if someone broke the law they are forever criminals are really simple minded

Old 04-25-2010, 03:46 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,367,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budstar17 View Post
you guys are all morons im an exfelon and people make mistakes that doesnt mean they should suffer the rest of there life for it all you people that think if someone broke the law they are forever criminals are really simple minded
Not being allowed to own a firearm as a convicted felon is "suffering"?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,379,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budstar17 View Post
Didn't your parole agent require you to take anger management classes or did you just fail them?

Hate to bring you a dose of reality but many victims suffer the rest of their lives because of what felons did to them.

If someone knowingly broke the law and victimized someone else they ARE simple-minded!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or