Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:40 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
And it is a great excuse to charge $550 for that annual vehicle registration you get from the nastiest people in the world who work for the DMV.
Clear this up please. So in CA you pay $550. a year for your registration? Never heard that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
that's the problem, lol. I'm moving there from AZ so I don't know if I can just go to some random dealership and ask them to do it for me. Unless they charge me, but I don't know how much that would cost
A dealer is going to take you for alot of money. Why don't you type your make & model followed by "licence plate mount (or bracket)" in on eBay and do it yourself? A couple screws, you don't have to be a mechanic to figure it out, it's easy! Save money!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Clear this up please. So in CA you pay $550. a year for your registration? Never heard that before.
My 08 cost me $380 in Jan., but it missed the great increase so next year it will be over $500. Our 74 VW thing cost us $74, so that is probably the lowest amount.

Pick up trucks with commercial plates will cost the most (yes, tractors pay more) since they pay a road use tax that doubles the normal amount. A new 2010 pick up will likely cost $1000 each year the first two years.

I got lucky that they registered my truck without the commercial plates, most likely because of the factory installed toneau cover.

Just so we are on the same page here. CA does not charge for vehicles on our state property tax. The actual registration is the same for all vehicles with a added tax that was recently doubled by our govenator Arnold. The tax varies to value, some even have a added luxury tax, gas guzzler tax or the commercial use tax.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 PM

58 posts, read 95,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
some even have a added luxury tax, gas guzzler tax or the commercial use tax.
And soon....windshield wiper tax, center brake light tax, lug nut tax, hood latch tax, odometer tax, and a 5% added use tax everytime the tach goes over 2000rpm.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
My 08 cost me $380 in Jan., but it missed the great increase so next year it will be over $500. Our 74 VW thing cost us $74, so that is probably the lowest amount.

Pick up trucks with commercial plates will cost the most (yes, tractors pay more) since they pay a road use tax that doubles the normal amount. A new 2010 pick up will likely cost $1000 each year the first two years.

I got lucky that they registered my truck without the commercial plates, most likely because of the factory installed toneau cover.

Just so we are on the same page here. CA does not charge for vehicles on our state property tax. The actual registration is the same for all vehicles with a added tax that was recently doubled by our govenator Arnold. The tax varies to value, some even have a added luxury tax, gas guzzler tax or the commercial use tax.
Let's say I move to L.A. and bring my 2008 Honda Civic, I own the car (Indiana title in hand) would I have to pay another tax to get it titled and plated in CA? If so how much we talkin'? I already paid a 7% tax when I bought the car, roughly $1300. Or would it just be a transfer? I'm asking YOU because the CA DMV online is a bit confusing. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew_B View Post
And soon....windshield wiper tax, center brake light tax, lug nut tax, hood latch tax, odometer tax, and a 5% added use tax everytime the tach goes over 2000rpm.
The odometer tax is ready pending approval... basically, it's a tax per mile driven to offset lower fuel taxes from fuel efficient cars...

Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Well I got it on and my car looks stupid now. Next we are going to have to paint the hood orange to alert on coming drivers.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:59 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Let's say I move to L.A. and bring my 2008 Honda Civic, I own the car (Indiana title in hand) would I have to pay another tax to get it titled and plated in CA? If so how much we talkin'? I already paid a 7% tax when I bought the car, roughly $1300. Or would it just be a transfer? I'm asking YOU because the CA DMV online is a bit confusing. Thanks.
I understand your original tax is ok as you were not here and traveled out of state to purchase. They will charge you about $15 for the pair of plates, they will charge you for things there is no accountlng for. Bring proof of insurance. If you belong to the auto club it is quicker and easier but not any cheaper.

Don't let them create a new title, your Indiana title is fine. No need to be charged for printing a new CA title.

The DMV will likely charge you $300 plus per year. My wife's '08 ford Escape cost us $335 in May.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:48 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The odometer tax is ready pending approval... basically, it's a tax per mile driven to offset lower fuel taxes from fuel efficient cars...
Your joking right? So they kill you with fees if you drive a newer car and now they want to kill you with fees if you drive an old car. California just wants to punish us for owning a car, bastards.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
Your joking right? So they kill you with fees if you drive a newer car and now they want to kill you with fees if you drive an old car. California just wants to punish us for owning a car, bastards.
I only wish I was...

There are two ways to pull it off...

One way is that every vehicle would be issued a Cal Trans Transponder just like the ones used for toll bridge commuters... it would keep track of your travels and a fee would automatically be deducted from your account.

The other way is to bill you for the miles between smog checks... The State has been building a data base from information collected at the bi-annual smog checks for years... there is even talk of making the inspections yearly and not exempting new vehicles.

I've attended several meeting in Sacramento and every department has staff whose job it is to find ways of collecting revenue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California