U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 741 times

Advertisements

Eureka is yet another town that had its time in the 19th century An is just still there. It has all the makings of a great small town and there are many things i love dearly about it. BUT ive lived here all my life and i will say the only people living here are those who were born here those who come to make money on the enormous marijuana industry or retirees. There are few areas within actual eureka city limits i would recommend. Cutten and most of Henderson Center are ok and myrtletown as well theyre quieter and more suburb esque. Lundbar hills is also very nice and secluded but certainly more pricey its mainly for retirees and ironically is heavily patrolled by epd although crime is virtually non existent so its a lil slice of white 1950s America. I love my home town but i honestly couldn't fathom why anyone would move here on purpose most here have plans to leave. Its a shame because its one of the most beautiful areas in the country and the last remaining chunk of land to naturally host giant coastal redwoods on the planet. It has been slowly waking back up since the recession but really it wouldn't exist if it werent for massive logging and fishing industries and noth of those are almsot completely gone now so it will remain a beautiful but often tragic snapshot of distant eras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 01:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,366,744 times
It remains to be seen if the area will change for the better or for the worse if/when marijuana is legalized.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:55 AM

71,702 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humco707 View Post
Eureka is yet another town that had its time in the 19th century An is just still there. It has all the makings of a great small town and there are many things i love dearly about it. BUT ive lived here all my life and i will say the only people living here are those who were born here those who come to make money on the enormous marijuana industry or retirees. There are few areas within actual eureka city limits i would recommend. Cutten and most of Henderson Center are ok and myrtletown as well theyre quieter and more suburb esque. Lundbar hills is also very nice and secluded but certainly more pricey its mainly for retirees and ironically is heavily patrolled by epd although crime is virtually non existent so its a lil slice of white 1950s America. I love my home town but i honestly couldn't fathom why anyone would move here on purpose most here have plans to leave. Its a shame because its one of the most beautiful areas in the country and the last remaining chunk of land to naturally host giant coastal redwoods on the planet. It has been slowly waking back up since the recession but really it wouldn't exist if it werent for massive logging and fishing industries and noth of those are almsot completely gone now so it will remain a beautiful but often tragiIf c snapshot of distant eras.
We lived there when the timber industry was thriving. There were some things we loved, but we only stayed a year. the depressed atmosphere got the best of us. Even then, there was a high % of people unemployed or underemployed and businesses going closing. If pot is leglized it might help somewhat, but for those who think that is the answer, remember how many other regions will be trying to get rich off the legalization.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:40 PM

8,944 posts, read 8,047,583 times
Back in the first half of the 20th century, Eureka and Humboldt County was a thriving area, with timber and fishing being the driving force of the area. Then came along environmentalists and tree lovers, that said that the big redwoods were all old growth forest and had to be protected for the city people to look at them on vacations. They ignored the fact, that most of the area had been cut, regrew, cut, and regrew again. They farmed it like a corn farmer farms corn. They got the redwood logging business shut down, and put the people there out of work. They created Redwood National Park of these old growth trees thousands of years old. Fact: The first thing they had to do in the park, was do away all the roads that were used to haul the logs out of the forest the last time it was cut. Roads left for the next time it was cut, and for fire suppression. They took out the roads, and planted undergrowth on them to hide the fact it was just cut over logging area that had regrown and not the old growth forest as claimed.

Here are pictures of the earlier logging trains, etc., when they hauled the logs out of the forest by train, before the modern logging truck was even invented. Then came the logging trucks, the next time they logged the area. Those were the roads put in the Redwood National Forest when it was last logged (second time around).

https://www.google.com/search?q=logg...sAQIGw&dpr=1.5

Homes Eureka had leased 20 acres of our ranch, for a logging camp, when they logged by train. They left one of their lumber Wood Fired Engines on the edge of their property, which was about 200 yards from our house when I was a small child. This became my train, to play on and pretend I was the engineer when I was a small child. WWII came along, and they took it away for a scrap metal drive contribution. I hated that as I loved that engine.

Then the environmentalists stopped logging and took away the good high paying jobs from the area and left a destitute population behind.

Today there is a new industry in Humboldt County, which provides 26% of the Economy. That is Growing Illegal Marijuana. The Emerald Triangle Humboldt, Trinity, and Mendocino counties are the place in the U.S. where Marijuana is grown in huge amounts. It keeps car dealers open, restaurants doing well, etc., etc. Here are pictures from the Emerald Triangle

https://www.google.com/search?q=cali...sAQIZA&dpr=1.5

Here is Canifest, which is held at the fair grounds in Eureka, the big social event of the year there.

https://cannifest.com/

The Humboldt County Cup

Humboldt County Cup – Representing community & cannabis!

As others I feel the OP is either involved in real estate sales, or has a home he wants to unload on some sucker who does not know what he is getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or