U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:09 AM

9,715 posts, read 18,357,530 times

Advertisements

These past few years the foul DMV (state of ca) has made a bundle on the non ops. They sure are sneaky lil thieves. I DESPISE them ! OH...the moral is low cause they must take 3 days off per month without pay. They are the highest paid dmv state workers in the nation with a avg salary of 63k dollars per year incl generous benefits, pensions & paid days off (14 per yr, not incl vacations & sick leave). Cry me a river dmv.

Last edited by steel7; 07-19-2009 at 01:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
You know of what you speak... my parked car was hit by an unlicensed adult driving a unregistered car and of course no insurance.

I called the police and told them I could positively identify the driver and where she lived... they said don't come out if my cars is still drivable and no one was injured

I called DMV and was told all they can do is suspend a persons Driver's License and they can't prevent anyone from driving without a license if they choose to break the law...

To the OP... the safest way to not run afoul of the law is to trailer you car...

Sorry... DMV is a touchy subject with me... I restore cars for a hobby and always have a folder full of DMV stuff... now everything is non-op except the car I drive and my truck... I trailer everything to shows now where I used to drive everywhere before.

WAY OFF TOPIC... Oakland might have better government if all those working here actually lived here... all the cops Oakland cops I know live in Contra Costa... go figure.
Driving cars to shows is half the fun & excitement. The dmv sure is something else. I often wonder if they know just how much they are hated. I have not heard one nice thing about them in years. But in all fairness we have the corrupt greedy legislature & govenor to thank for that.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:07 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,029,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
When your ins lapse on your car the ins co notifys the dmv. The dmv then suspends your registration until you get ins again & pay the ripoff $14.00 reinstatement fee. .
I didn't know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
That's really good advice if someone wishes to get their car impounded and get themselves arrested at the same time.
No, it's not good advice. I use to do that kind of stuff when I was young. But in reality chances are he wouldn't get caught. At least it's a low probability. That's all.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,452,386 times
In all fairness I have to say the DMV has improved a lot in recent years. Service is 10 times faster than it was 20 years ago. We all like to complain about the DMV but let's all take a look back to about 1985 when there were no appointments and lines on any given day were 2 hours long; and that was just the first line. A trip to the DMV back then was an all day ordeal. As far as the rules and the fees go, the DMV is just a service that regulates licensing and registration. They don't make the rules or set the fees, that's done on the sly back in Sacramento. DMV isn't the blame, they just deliver the bad news.

Remember that DMV fees are controlled by legislation. It wasn't too long ago that we gave a Governor the boot over high registration fees.

As far as the staff being rude and surly, that's one I really don't understand. I've always been treated politely at the DMV. Maybe it's how I present myself. I've found in life that a pleasant greeting and asking "How are you today?" makes even the biggest scowl turn into a far more pleasant experience for me. I am very polite dealing with people at various government agencies and they are polite to me. Remember when dealing with a public servant that they are people and don't like to be treated like servants. They're trapped in a mind numbing job that pays decently but they know that they're going nowhere, forever. They are as close to being serfs as it gets and reminding them of that fact will not work to your advantage. Never forget that they are low level bureaucrats with just enough power to make your life just a little bit more miserable or pleasant depending on how you treat them. If you try to bully them, and I've seen a lot of people try, your DMV experience is going to be interesting.

I dealt with the general public for many and quite honestly most of them are jerks. They seem to have the attitude that because they are paying a few bucks they should be treated like royalty. I don't think people even realize how rude they are. My wife was a federal employee. She wat treated like crap by here employer and worse by the general public so I have a great deal of sympathy for government employees. Most people don't realize what a unique type of hell those people are trapped in and it doesn't hurt to treat them with a little respect. A smile and a pleasant greeting could just make their whole day! It could make yours too.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 AM

26,579 posts, read 52,046,854 times
Quote:
Driving cars to shows is half the fun & excitement. The dmv sure is something else. I often wonder if they know just how much they are hated. I have not heard one nice thing about them in years. But in all fairness we have the corrupt greedy legislature & govenor to thank for that.
I can give you one outstanding example from 2000 from the Oakland office...

A family member that did title and registration for more than 50 years and always had the first thing Monday and Thursday morning appointment at the Dealer window became gravely ill and was hospitalized...

When he was a no show for his Monday appointment and again on Thursday, the office manager called to find out why... when she learned he was in the Hospital and not expected to survive... the entire office signed a get well card and many wrote short notes of encouragement... one even said he was her first customer when she was training so many years ago... 5 went to the Hospital to deliver the card in person the same day he passed away...

Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I can give you one outstanding example from 2000 from the Oakland office...

A family member that did title and registration for more than 50 years and always had the first thing Monday and Thursday morning appointment at the Dealer window became gravely ill and was hospitalized...

When he was a no show for his Monday appointment and again on Thursday, the office manager called to find out why... when she learned he was in the Hospital and not expected to survive... the entire office signed a get well card and many wrote short notes of encouragement... one even said he was her first customer when she was training so many years ago... 5 went to the Hospital to deliver the card in person the same day he passed away...
Im not saying all dmv employees are mean. I was very nice to the clerk but it was a busy/hectic day at the san bernardino dmv on waterman ave. The clerk took it out on me & a few others. I do though blame the worse legislature in ca history. I often tell them that but they just ignore me. The state needs to be car friendly again. I dont look at that happening anytime soon.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 PM

8,131 posts, read 11,034,965 times
Quote:
These past few years the foul DMV (state of ca) has made a bundle on the non ops. They sure are sneaky lil thieves. I DESPISE them ! OH...the moral is low cause they must take 3 days off per month without pay. They are the highest paid dmv state workers in the nation with a avg salary of 63k dollars per year incl generous benefits, pensions & paid days off (14 per yr, not incl vacations & sick leave). Cry me a river dmv.
Not that there's any point in trying to reason with you, but your information about DMV salaries is incorrect. $63K is the average gross wage for ALL State employees, including Caltrans engineers and the Sacramento HQ bureaucrats who make the big wages. MV is one of the lower-paid agencies and many of their employees are not even full-time, they are "permanent intermittent " with no guaranteed work schedule. Their starting wage is around $2200 IF they work full-time. Now go back to spewing your bile.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Well....over the years in ca i have driven with expired tags ( max 6 months) & i drove a out of state car for 3 years. I never had a problem. I have though switched my plates a time or two to drive a mile to get gas & air in the tires. Since the dmv has jacked up fees license plate & sticker theft is on the rise. My neighbors 09 sticker was stolen some months back & they had to pay a $10.00 fee to get a new sticker. I know a lady now whos driving her truck with tags that expired 3-08. She also has no insurance. She told me the cops know her situation & leave her alone. I said to her what happens if you get into a accident & its your fault & the other driver only has min liabilty required by law (like me). I myself would be screwed. She said " im a safe driver". I just walked away rather then arguing with her. There are LOTS of drivers on the public roadways with no valid drivers license, exp tags, stolen tags & no auto insurance. Im poorer then a illegal alian but i do play by the rules. I cant afford not too.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:01 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,046,854 times
As a practical matter, I try to do any DMV office visit at the AAA office... seems to be a better experience, at least for me.

They are limited and not full service... but enough for most routine stuff.

I've also heard very good things about the small office in little towns... the kind where everyone knows everybody...

I'm in Oakland and we have two offices always busy and unhappy people on both sides of the counter.

Lots of cars here have reg problems and theft of plates is on the rise... it's quicker to take the plate and peel the sticker off somewhere else...

Old 07-19-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
As a practical matter, I try to do any DMV office visit at the AAA office... seems to be a better experience, at least for me.

They are limited and not full service... but enough for most routine stuff.

I've also heard very good things about the small office in little towns... the kind where everyone knows everybody...

I'm in Oakland and we have two offices always busy and unhappy people on both sides of the counter.

Lots of cars here have reg problems and theft of plates is on the rise... it's quicker to take the plate and peel the sticker off somewhere else...
I was in Oakland once back in the mid 80,s. It was dirty & i was relieved to get out of there. I had my sister & young niece with me. They also were glad to bet back to frisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California