Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times

Advertisements

I called the dmv to get info about transfering auto insurance from my Tbird to my olds in sept. The clerk was damn rude (raised her voice) & told me that if i drop the auto insurance on my Tbird even though the tags dont exp till 8-10 the dmv will suspend my registration immediately. I will then have to pay a $14.00 reinstatement fee plus obtain ins in order to drive the Tbird on the public roads. The ONLY way to avoid this thieving fee is to pay $18.00 for a non op.

I was going to drive the olds for awhile & if i changed my mind i would just switch ins back to the Tbird & drive it. Im not even sure if the olds will pass the tough smog test. I cant get a free 60 day operating permit thanks to all the abusers. Now its a $50.00 fee for 60 days from the date of expiration of the tags. I have often heard the dmv is the most despised, rude & unorganized state agency. Looks like its true. Plus they are damn greedy but i blame the foul legislature for that (incl the gov).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 04:13 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,097 times
Welcome to California.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 PM

I need time to get my car ready for smog. The one day permit is for going to the smog station only. I havent driven my car on public roads since late 04. The dmv says its a privledge to drive yet those crooks sure take our money time & time again. I was told by someone to just take the plates off & drive & use the "right to travel". I bet the cops/courts will have a field day with me & also impound my car. We do live in a society governed by laws but sometimes they need to be challenged.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
I'm not totally following you here.The olds is non-op? why not talk to your insurance about temporary insurance? Why drive it until it's ready to smog? Insurance companies notify the DMV when insurance policies are dropped? I'm not getting what the issue is.

Peel the sticker off the tbird, put on the olds and drive. F%$^ IT!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I'm not totally following you here.The olds is non-op? why not talk to your insurance about temporary insurance? Why drive it until it's ready to smog? Insurance companies notify the DMV when insurance policies are dropped? I'm not getting what the issue is.

My olds is a non operational vehicle according to the dmv. I cant drive it on public roadways until i pay the registration fees, get insurance & get it smogged. I was going to do all that this sept. When your ins lapse on your car the ins co notifys the dmv. The dmv then suspends your registration until you get ins again & pay the ripoff $14.00 reinstatement fee. Temporary auto ins in ca is useless now thanks to the horrid dmv. Ca is a over-lawed, over-regulated, nanny governed state. Oh...if i get caught driving my olds with stickers from my other car i will lose my drivers license for 4 yrs, fined heavily & the car will be impounded. Welcome to the republic of california.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
A couple of things...

Morale is very low at the DMV and it was never great to begin with.

I've trailered cars with non-op status to get a smog... trailer is OK... towing isn't.

Don't look for any breaks at the DMV... it took my local representative to get involved more than once and it was 100% DMV errors both times

Old 07-18-2009, 10:53 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
That's really good advice if someone wishes to get their car impounded and get themselves arrested at the same time.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
That's really good advice if someone wishes to get their car impounded and get themselves arrested at the same time.
Could be an honest mistake if you owned both vehicles... the dealer put the wrong tabs on my Grandmother's car and no one would have known if I hadn't caught it... the problem for the Dealer is they put her tags on another 85 Oldsmobile

Of course, all bets are off it the tags you put on your car have been reported stolen... I've had tags stolen 3 times in the last ten years here in the Bay Area... the last time, the Oakland PD didn't think filling out a police report was necessary... guess it's not a high priority

Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Oakland PD didn't think filling out a police report was necessary... guess it's not a high priority
Well, if you belonged to one of the highest paid PDs in the nation where your high salary was justified by a high crime rate, exactly how much would you prioritize anything?

But in Oakland, there is virtually no traffic law enforcement so I'd imagine switched tags would be fairly safe.

I spend a lot of time defending Oakland on this forum but the police department doesn't impress me even a little bit. I have plenty of friends and family who are cops in other areas of CA and the US so I do have a comparative reference. I don't blame the cops themselves but more the one's they have to answer to. Anyway, I dragged this way off topic so I'll shut up now.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Well, if you belonged to one of the highest paid PDs in the nation where your high salary was justified by a high crime rate, exactly how much would you prioritize anything?

But in Oakland, there is virtually no traffic law enforcement so I'd imagine switched tags would be fairly safe.

I spend a lot of time defending Oakland on this forum but the police department doesn't impress me even a little bit. I have plenty of friends and family who are cops in other areas of CA and the US so I do have a comparative reference. I don't blame the cops themselves but more the one's they have to answer to. Anyway, I dragged this way off topic so I'll shut up now.
You know of what you speak... my parked car was hit by an unlicensed adult driving a unregistered car and of course no insurance.

I called the police and told them I could positively identify the driver and where she lived... they said don't come out if my cars is still drivable and no one was injured

I called DMV and was told all they can do is suspend a persons Driver's License and they can't prevent anyone from driving without a license if they choose to break the law...

To the OP... the safest way to not run afoul of the law is to trailer you car...

Sorry... DMV is a touchy subject with me... I restore cars for a hobby and always have a folder full of DMV stuff... now everything is non-op except the car I drive and my truck... I trailer everything to shows now where I used to drive everywhere before.

WAY OFF TOPIC... Oakland might have better government if all those working here actually lived here... all the cops Oakland cops I know live in Contra Costa... go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California