U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2009, 10:23 AM
 
Location: California
35 posts, read 144,796 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Since work would not be an issue, I'd like to live in either Oregon or Washington, in an area with sufficient rainfall and a cooler summer. (Central CA summers are hellish hot). A snowy winter would be fine, within reason. My biggest concern is having a modest rural home with enough acreage for privacy and self-sufficiency.

Great question, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Status: "13 years on C-D" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Shallow alcove hidden from the telescreen
2,827 posts, read 9,913,002 times
Reputation: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by melora1812 View Post
My biggest concern is having a modest rural home with enough acreage for [...] self-sufficiency.

Great question, OP.
I think this could become a big concern in years ahead. I used to think that condo/townhouse living would suit me best, but now I'm starting to think about the importance of having little plot of real earth to grow my own vegetables. I suppose condo/townhouse living could still be ok as long as its association supported community gardening. Portland, OR from what I hear is somewhat big on urban rooftop gardens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Malibu/Miami Beach
1,070 posts, read 2,941,777 times
Reputation: 428
Yep sit at home and play with my guns all day!!

Ryegate VT Real Estate, MLS 2769712, Parkway Realty Associates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 AM
 
Location: where the moss is taking over the villages
2,178 posts, read 4,836,616 times
Reputation: 1237
Arcata, CA for the small town feeling close to nature & proximity to So. Cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 PM
 
676 posts, read 2,798,137 times
Reputation: 771
You would die if you saw the house we bought in NC for under 200K on 1/2 an acre. When we moved here from Santa Barbara we thought owing a home was really important and it was in the middle of the insane housing bubble, so we felt moving away vs settling for some more affordable place like Bakersfield was the way to go. I don't "regret" our move, but let me tell you it is not easy leaving SoCal! I am still a believer unless you can live on the coast or no more than 30 minutes inland there is no point in staying in CA. But, now that I own the home I am starting to realize there isn't anything wrong with renting when you can live in an amazing place like San Diego or coastal CA!! I needed to move away to realize these things, but a cozy rental isn't sounding so bad now that I am trying to adjust to the south. Let's just say there is usually a reason houses for under $200K are in their locations....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
 
1,618 posts, read 3,364,051 times
Reputation: 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
you could live anywhere In the the states and under 200k? So work is not an issue. The only issue is where do you like it best considering whats important to you. Please tell me what type of home you think you can buy for that 200k and why you choose that location. For example if you like wash dc and live in the city , you can only get maybe a tiny condo but you like it there for the history. I am very curious as to your responses.



Thanks Debbie
I would live in Oz! It is a very beautiful place. The people are friendly, for the most part, and the food is quite divine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Monterey County, CA
5,480 posts, read 12,320,102 times
Reputation: 5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I would live in Oz! It is a very beautiful place. The people are friendly, for the most part, and the food is quite divine.
Thats not what the Tin Man said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Status: "13 years on C-D" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Shallow alcove hidden from the telescreen
2,827 posts, read 9,913,002 times
Reputation: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
You would die if you saw the house we bought in NC for under 200K on 1/2 an acre. When we moved here from Santa Barbara we thought owing a home was really important and it was in the middle of the insane housing bubble, so we felt moving away vs settling for some more affordable place like Bakersfield was the way to go. I don't "regret" our move, but let me tell you it is not easy leaving SoCal! I am still a believer unless you can live on the coast or no more than 30 minutes inland there is no point in staying in CA. But, now that I own the home I am starting to realize there isn't anything wrong with renting when you can live in an amazing place like San Diego or coastal CA!! I needed to move away to realize these things, but a cozy rental isn't sounding so bad now that I am trying to adjust to the south. Let's just say there is usually a reason houses for under $200K are in their locations....
I learned a similar lesson at around age 30 (getting to be a few years ago, now). I took a job that had me traveling all over North America. After a year, I concluded the following for myself: As to the U.S. and Canada, I will not live anywhere on this continent other than CA, OR, WA or BC. There are a lot of nice places to see, New England, Upstate New York, the Carolinas, Virginia, etc. Could never live there, tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 82,847,374 times
Reputation: 17506
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Arcata, CA for the small town feeling close to nature & proximity to So. Cal.
660 miles is close?


from: lax to: Arcata, CA - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 AM
 
Location: United States
2,497 posts, read 6,393,147 times
Reputation: 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
you could live anywhere In the the states and under 200k? So work is not an issue. The only issue is where do you like it best considering whats important to you. Please tell me what type of home you think you can buy for that 200k and why you choose that location. For example if you like wash dc and live in the city , you can only get maybe a tiny condo but you like it there for the history. I am very curious as to your responses.



Thanks Debbie
Anywhere in Southern California, even if it's a hell hole in Compton, still beats where I live now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top