U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:46 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,821,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteazz1 View Post
Do your own research,come down for a few weeks....don't let people on here scare you..they are basing their opinions on their own understanding and knowledge.I think that you can survive on your income without living in the "hood"...I have plenty of family and friends in California that are Nurses and teachers who don't make that much more(or less)than you and they are doing fine.None of them live in bad neighborhoods and most of them own their own homes...Just depends or your expectations.

I mean,you won't have a beach house but it can be done.
What kind of Nurses? All RN's out here make at least 80K with Bonuses. NP's make 6 figures. I don't know one RN that makes under 80K per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:49 PM

71,726 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
What kind of Nurses? All RN's out here make at least 80K with Bonuses. NP's make 6 figures. I don't know one RN that makes under 80K per year.
my point exactly, especially with BS degrees. Our granddaughter graduates in a week from U of OK with her BS and I think she is starting at about 50,000 or maybe even $60,000 and that isn't Ca salaries.

NIta

Old 07-21-2009, 02:56 PM

67 posts, read 300,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
cuteazzi, do your friends and family making less than $50,000 and who own their own homes buy them recently? And are they living in places like SF and LA? I think it's perfectly reasonable to think that someone can live in these cities on 50k, but buying a house (which I agree wouldn't make much sense right now anyway for a recent college grad) is not realistic in or even near these cities for most people making that salary. If you were lucky and bought 10 or 20 years ago then it might be a very different situation. $50k in SF won't make you poor, but it doesn't mean money won't often be an issue, either, especially if you have any school or other debt. Like Drshang said, the OP needs to compare apples to apples. California is certainly doable for that salary, but it's not "cheap," either.
My sister(Nurse) lives in Arcadia.She has a house with her husband but she bought it when she was single..about 8 years ago.I don't know how much she paid but I know that she spent a year working doubles and she has a 4/2 in a nice area.

My other sister is a high school teacher.She is single with no kids and she bought a house near SLO.3/2

It can be done.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How many nurses do you know working in the major Ca cities making less than $50,000.00 and many are 2 income families? Sorry you do not live in most areas in California, make $50,000 a year and own a home even in a run down neighborhood. No, you can not own a home in a decent part of California, near a major city earning that kind of money. Can you live on $50,000? Yes, probablay but you can not live comfortably.

Nita
This is your experience...But its not mine.

I live VERY well.First of all I did not start my adult life in debt.I bought a used car in cash,I use public transportaion most of the time,I buy everything in cash,I grow most of my food,I do clothing exchanges with my friends...I also travel to Europe twice a year and various places in the U.S...I donate time and money to charity,..My utilities stay on,I have a nice place and cool friends..so I would say that I live comfortably.

I had fun making 20,000 a year living in Santa Barbara.I made it work.I'm sorry that you can't live the life you want on 50,000 but don't try to take away from my experiences.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
My sister(Nurse) lives in Arcadia.She has a house with her husband but she bought it when she was single..about 8 years ago.I don't know how much she paid but I know that she spent a year working doubles and she has a 4/2 in a nice area.

My other sister is a high school teacher.She is single with no kids and she bought a house near SLO.3/2

It can be done.
SLO is a little different. I can guarantee you if your sister lives in Arcadia and is part of the Arcadia school district, 8 years ago no mater where it is, they paid at least 500,000 and maybe more. Of course again, they have 2 salaries and she make a heck of a lot more than $50,000 if she works anywhere near there. I am from Arcadia, still have lots of friends there.

Nita

Old 07-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post

First off I said "around" his salary.My Sis makes 58,000 in So CAL.The nurses in OAkland make more than the nurses in Socal.Mostly everyone makes more up there because the cost of living is waaaay higher.Do your research please.I know plenty of R.N's who make less than 80K....HA..I have got to show my friends this thread.....

You can go to the allnurses forum.They post their salaries all the time....

Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,821,473 times
Quote:
First off I said "around" his salary.My Sis makes 58,000 in So CAL.The nurses in OAkland make more than the nurses in Socal.Mostly everyone makes more up there because the cost of living is waaaay higher.Do your research please.I know plenty of R.N's who make less than 80K....HA..I have got to show my friends this thread.....

You can go to the allnurses forum.They post their salaries all the time....
You didn't say "around". So are you making up things again?

You do your own research the cost of living is not "Waaaaay" more expensive here than So Cal and salaries are comparable. There are different kinds of Nurses, an LVN will not make as much as an RN. I hire Nurses and Doctors I don't need to go to a forum to know what they make. Fresh out of school nurses make 50K starting at the minimum. Not including bonuses. That's all over CA.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
This is your experience...But its not mine.

I live VERY well.First of all I did not start my adult life in debt.I bought a used car in cash,I use public transportaion most of the time,I buy everything in cash,I grow most of my food,I do clothing exchanges with my friends...I also travel to Europe twice a year and various places in the U.S...I donate time and money to charity,..My utilities stay on,I have a nice place and cool friends..so I would say that I live comfortably.

I had fun making 20,000 a year living in Santa Barbara.I made it work.I'm sorry that you can't live the life you want on 50,000 but don't try to take away from my experiences.
you are taking statements I and a few other have made and turning them around: how you live, growing your own food, cloth exchanging, etc is not the way most people live, there is nothing wrong with it, it actually is probably very rewarding but it isn't the way mainstream America lives. You had fun on 20,000 a year in Santa Barbara, lots of us had fun on very little at one time but what about medical costs and insurance, car repairs, home repairs etc. I did not say I couldn't live on $50,000. I do, but we don't live in California.

My problem with your statement is the same as a few others have had, no, nurses do not make less than $50,000, and no, you can not buy a home making $50,000 in California unless you have a huge and I mean huge down payment. You couldn't even qualify as a matter of fact.

Obviously you are living the life you love, that is awesome, I am pointing out the realities here and they are, living in a major city anywhere, especially in Califonia on $50,000 isn't going to be a breeze.

I do not know what you do for a living but the OP has mentioned he will be working (probably in management) for a mid sized or large corporation. This may be a little different life style than what you are doing.

I think it is much better to point out the realities than to paint a picture that is only partially correct.

I think the OP is bright enough to judge from all our statements what will work for him.

Nita

Old 07-21-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
SLO is a little different. I can guarantee you if your sister lives in Arcadia and is part of the Arcadia school district, 8 years ago no mater where it is, they paid at least 500,000 and maybe more. Of course again, they have 2 salaries and she make a heck of a lot more than $50,000 if she works anywhere near there. I am from Arcadia, still have lots of friends there.

Nita
I called her.She said her house was 385 and she put down 60k...she has a husband now and he is a firefighter..but she bought it while single.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:38 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,924,183 times
Quote:

It can be done.
Here's the thing: it COULD be done. No one making 100k can buy a 4/2 in Arcadia (unless it's that tiny pocket in the El Monte SD). Period. It can't happen and won't happen. Eight years ago, yes, certainly can happen if you work doubles for a year as a nurse to buy a 400-500k house in Arcadia. No problem. Not anymore, sorry, check redfin to see how much houses in Arcadia cost.

You can live fine in LA on a 50k salary if you're younger and don't need to save tons of money for a house, a down payment, or retirement. I don't question that one bit. But most of the people who live in LA (in a GOOD area) and own houses that make 50-70k bought a while ago...before houses became unaffordable (or they bought with an option ARM or some type of exotic financing).

The good news is, Arcadia (and similar areas) will almost certainly take a huge splash downward in terms of housing prices and people will, hopefully, be able to afford a house on a "normal" 80-100k type household income. But not right now. Eight years ago sure. Eight years from now there's a good chance I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or