Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:11 PM

111 posts, read 588,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course it can, I agree, most of would, depending on where one wants to live or can get a job. SLO is a great community, one of my favorites but it isn't exactly the capital of the work force. Obviously the OP intends on using his education to do something like corporate type of work, or that is how it appears.

Nita
Yeah, I would most likely be working for a large corporation or reasonably large company given my line of work. But I mean I'm in IT and will have a pretty broad range of certifications upon graduation, so employment should be rather flexible and broad which would certainly help in getting a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
The cost of living in Vancouver is comparable, if not higher, than Los Angeles. Toronto is similar. I have a friend who lives in Vancouver and basically it's at least as expensive to live there as in LA. The tax rates are higher and rents are basically the same. SF is a little more expensive than LA, but again, if you're comparing it to Vancouver or Toronto it's pretty similar. Wages tend to be lower in Canada too, from what I understand.

IMO Toronto and Vancouver have a pretty big housing bubble that is a couple years behind that of the US. Yes, no toxic mortgages and option ARMs and subprime stuff. But Japan didn't have that stuff in their 15 year real estate recession and we didn't have that stuff in the recession in the early 90s. The cost of living in all four cities will drop, relatively, over the next five years, almost certainly.

All that said is you aren't really missing much. Most people who compare the cost of living in California are comparing it to much less desirable places such as St. Louis MO or Dallas TX. I think the difference is in the US there are places where you can get a somewhat similar lifestyle for a lot less. Probably the case in Canada, but big cities are expensive everywhere. A lot of it is that CA used to not be that expensive before the 10 years of housing nonsense. But it will come down - economically it has to.
That's how I had it in my mind. I realize that there are far more affordable places to live in the US, but they don't really interest me.

I'm quite certain my money would go just as far in CA as it would here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:18 PM

322 posts, read 797,080 times
Don't let palm trees and sunshine fool you, most houses that cheap are in the hood

Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,233,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
me and my boyfriend make about 50,000 a year gross combined.
I'm sorry.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:39 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
Things may (will, I hope) change by the time you're looking for a job, but jobs, including those in the IT field, are not that easy to come by. And don't let the internet listings fool you - a house the size you mention for that price is either going to be a long, long way out, or in a very undesirable neighorhood. Prices have fallen, but they haven't dropped that much. Cost of living in SF is going to be higher than in LA, but a salary of $50,000 isn't going to mean that you're going to have an easy time buying a place or living a life of luxury (or even semi-luxury) by any means. LA or SF may not be more expensive than bigger cities in Canada (no personal experience there) but I do think your expectations of what to pay for housing, at least if you're buying, sound overly optimistic. I have yet to see a "nice" house (or even a not-nice house) anywhere convenient to one of the major cities for $150,000. There may be houses like that elsewhere in the state, but not in the cities. Basically, your money may or may not get you just as far in LA or SF as in some Canadian cities, but at that doesn't mean it will get you far. (not to say it's not worth it, but don't expect a bargain lifestyle, that's all.)

Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM

67 posts, read 323,750 times
Do your own research,come down for a few weeks....don't let people on here scare you..they are basing their opinions on their own understanding and knowledge.I think that you can survive on your income without living in the "hood"...I have plenty of family and friends in California that are Nurses and teachers who don't make that much more(or less)than you and they are doing fine.None of them live in bad neighborhoods and most of them own their own homes...Just depends or your expectations.

I mean,you won't have a beach house but it can be done.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:57 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,298,161 times
Yes, uptown urbanist makes a good point. You can't compare a house in High Park in Toronto to a house in Lancaster CA. When comparing cost of living it's really important to compare apples to apples.

For example, a 400 sq ft studio in a good location in Vancouver will run you something like 1000-1300 a month, depending how nice it is. That's pretty similar to Los Angeles. A SFR close to a city center in an area you won't get shot is expensive everywhere relative to average housing costs, even in "cheap" cities like Pittsburgh (but still much much cheaper than LA, SF, Toronto).

But I wouldn't really look to purchase a home anyway. It's generally, IMO, not a smart idea to buy a house right out of college, especially in a really sketchy economic climate right now. People tend to change jobs and geographies a lot in their first 5-7 years out of college and you throw a TON of money away buying and selling a house (way, way more than renting) on things like realtor commissions, closing costs, PMI, appraisal fees, etc. If you are going to compare cost of living you should do it for rentals, not purchasing a home.

My point is simply that dollar for dollar, you pretty much are going to get the same amount in LA as Toronto or Vancouver. But Toronto and Vancouver are petty expensive in their own right and on a 50k entry level salary (which is a very good salary) you will be on a somewhat tight budget (but you won't be poor).

Old 07-21-2009, 02:17 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,276,003 times
It can be done depending where in CA. Forget buying a house. Even if you make low 6 figures you won't be able to buy or afford a house unless you have saved most of your life earnings.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:30 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Sure. If you can get a job with benefits you can rent an apartment somewhere decent. You won't have tons of money for entertainment because everything is expensive, but sure it can be done. Just don't expect to be living the "califonria dreaming" lifestyle. It's going to be a "working stiff" lifestyle with an occasional road trip to the beach. Your money will go farther up north but maybe that isn't what you are dreaming about.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:35 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
cuteazzi, do your friends and family making less than $50,000 and who own their own homes buy them recently? And are they living in places like SF and LA? I think it's perfectly reasonable to think that someone can live in these cities on 50k, but buying a house (which I agree wouldn't make much sense right now anyway for a recent college grad) is not realistic in or even near these cities for most people making that salary. If you were lucky and bought 10 or 20 years ago then it might be a very different situation. $50k in SF won't make you poor, but it doesn't mean money won't often be an issue, either, especially if you have any school or other debt. Like Drshang said, the OP needs to compare apples to apples. California is certainly doable for that salary, but it's not "cheap," either.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteazz1 View Post
Do your own research,come down for a few weeks....don't let people on here scare you..they are basing their opinions on their own understanding and knowledge.I think that you can survive on your income without living in the "hood"...I have plenty of family and friends in California that are Nurses and teachers who don't make that much more(or less)than you and they are doing fine.None of them live in bad neighborhoods and most of them own their own homes...Just depends or your expectations.

I mean,you won't have a beach house but it can be done.
How many nurses do you know working in the major Ca cities making less than $50,000.00 and many are 2 income families? Sorry you do not live in most areas in California, make $50,000 a year and own a home even in a run down neighborhood. No, you can not own a home in a decent part of California, near a major city earning that kind of money. Can you live on $50,000? Yes, probablay but you can not live comfortably.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California