Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:07 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
It is just racism. (third world) means brown or black people.
Nothing wrong with brown or black (or red, yellow, green, purple, whatever) people coming here so long as they come legally and are of a good background. We need more people with advanced degrees and / or equivalent experience, of all colors, from distant lands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
You are not alone. Many first generation Americans and even many immigrants no longer see California as the "Promised Land:"

Immigrant population declines in California - SignOnSanDiego.com
It would be a good trend in the long-run if so many immigrants weren't so highly concentrated in just a few areas of the country (namely the coastal areas)...

Old 12-03-2009, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 6,333 times
Quote:
It is just racism. (third world) means brown or black people.
There are politically three types of classes in the world. First world countries like Englland, Australia, and America that believe in freedom or a republic. The second I am not positive but my husband (who dont eat me alive if he is wrong) say Second world countries are comuunist like Rusha, China, Japan, and so forth. Third world contries are those that suppresse their resident and are extremely poor and typically ask first world countries for help like Iran and middle Eastern countries. It doesn't have anything to do with the color of your skin although people do through it around very rudely. Even with a bad economy we are still lucky.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
All this is true, but after living in 5 states in the past 20 years, I think most of this is true in just about every state today, maybe not so many Asians but otherwise it holds true in NM, VA, CA, TX and AR. Actually even the Asian population is in almost every state, but not quite to extent of CAlif.

Nita
And rightly so! California borders a foreign country and also the mighty Pacific Ocean, therefore being a major, massive port of entry, legal and not so legal.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGemel View Post
There are politically three types of classes in the world. First world countries like Englland, Australia, and America that believe in freedom or a republic. The second I am not positive but my husband (who dont eat me alive if he is wrong) say Second world countries are comuunist like Rusha, China, Japan, and so forth.
Japan's First World.

Most Second World countries are former communist countries e.g. in Eastern Europe, but there are others that never were communist, like Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile (although Chile's on the cusp of First World status).

There are some Third World countries on the cusp of Second World status, like Brazil, long a textbook Third World country but rapidly growing.

China and India don't really fit this model - massive and growing economic powers but with huge amounts of poverty. The term BRICs refers to Brazil, Russia, China, and India as rising nations, although Russia really doesn't fit this model as much as the other 3, as it's economically more stagnant.

Quote:
third world contries are those that suppresse their resident and are extremely poor and typically ask first world countries for help like Iran and middle Eastern countries. It doesn't have anything to do with the color of your skin although people do through it around very rudely. Even with a bad economy we are still lucky.
Iran is definitely a third world country. Mexico's high third world, and if it could get its narco-violence under control it could easily move into the second world.

Fourth world countries are the basket cases of the world, e.g. Haiti, most of Sub-Saharan Africa, Afghanistan, most of Central America, etc.

As for economic disasters, war, etc. they aren't enough by themselves to classify a country in one of these categories. For example, Japan in 1946 was high second world, with a highly educated population and high cultural level, despite being in complete ruin from WW2. I suspect the same would have been true re: postwar Germany. Britain around the same time would've been first world due to being a democracy and still a global power despite much of it being in ruins from the Blitz, a very screwed up economy (and accompanying Depression-like conditions while the US and Canada being spared damage from the war were prospering), and the persistence of rationing etc.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 AM

13 posts, read 37,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Most Second World countries are former communist countries e.g. in Eastern Europe, but there are others that never were communist, like Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile (although Chile's on the cusp of First World status).
No, the term "Second World" referred to the Soviet Union and Soviet allies during the Cold War. The only Second World country in the Americas was Cuba - I say "was" because the First/Second/Third World system of categorization is obsolete in the post-Cold War era.

Second World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-03-2010, 02:36 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,987 times
It's nice to see a non anti-California thread for once!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
I wonder if anyone noticed that I used "third world" as the usual suspects use it, as in,"the poor benighted brown or black savages that have no business coming to America."

As a side note, when America took the Phillipines from Spain, the good Christian Filipinos thought the democratic Americans would give them their Freedom. OOPs. The good Christian Americans hung on to the place, As President McKinley said, "to Christianize them". And yes, The Americans stuck around, and had to kill about 200,000 Filipinos to do it, but by god at the end of it all, the Filipinos were Christian.... Just like they were under the Spanish.

Aside from the Moros of course, but that is another story.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
I wonder if anyone noticed that I used "third world" as the usual suspects use it, as in,"the poor benighted brown or black savages that have no business coming to America."

As a side note, when America took the Phillipines from Spain, the good Christian Filipinos thought the democratic Americans would give them their Freedom. OOPs. The good Christian Americans hung on to the place, As President McKinley said, "to Christianize them". And yes, The Americans stuck around, and had to kill about 200,000 Filipinos to do it, but by god at the end of it all, the Filipinos were Christian.... Just like they were under the Spanish.

Aside from the Moros of course, but that is another story.
Well; things change and such behavior would not be acceptable today--------but, tell that to Cambodia (1982), Rwanda (1994) Congo and quite a few other Third World nations.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiger View Post
No, the term "Second World" referred to the Soviet Union and Soviet allies during the Cold War. The only Second World country in the Americas was Cuba - I say "was" because the First/Second/Third World system of categorization is obsolete in the post-Cold War era.

Second World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And you are correct. I graduated HS in the 1970's and that was how I was taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California