Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 01:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Which is maybe part of why we fly to MO on Tuesday to start looking at houses our realtor has lined up for us; property taxes running from about $550 to about $800 a year.
What part of MO? I've been to SW MO about this time of year. Be sure to stop by Walmart for some bug spray ASAP if you're going to be out at dusk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 AM

664 posts, read 1,940,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelovr View Post
I'm a native of CA; I'm approximately 50 years old and college educated (Bachelors degree from university in CA) and I lived in an affluent county in CA before moving to the Upper Midwest. I did not move there out of a "strong" desire to live there (though I kept an open mind 'bout it) nor for a job but for other reasons. I consider myself "middle class".

PET PEEVE:
I am getting very tired of people who are CA natives who have never lived in another state, who constantly complain about CA and believe that the "grass is always greener somewhere else"!

And, I am equally tired of really rude people from other states WHO HAVE NEVER LIVED IN CA, yet say very hateful things about it! How would they know anything about life in CA? Even if they visited CA for a short time, it does not qualify you to have a fair and honest opinion about it! Visiting a state and living there are two very different things!

Now that I have lived in a very different part of the country for almost 6 years, I can now give an accurate comparison between CA and another state, Wisconsin. Are you ready, Folks??? O.K....here 'goes.....

BUSINESS
Jobs opportunities are VERY limited in number in Wisconsin (even BEFORE economy went south); especially compared to CA. And Wisconsin has much fewer companies and small businesses, I believe even disproportionally. Also, WI's political climate make the state very "business UN-friendly". Now we all know that the state of CA and businesses of all sizes have a love-hate relationship with each other in the past several years. But CA still has an enormous amount of large and mid-size corporations and many, many small businesses that continue to thrive in the "golden state". There are still many job ops in CA with the exception being the agricultural area in central CA.

Occupations in WI do NOT vary too much, mostly "blue collar", "laborer" types of jobs with few "white collar" positions in most towns and counties; with the exception of a few suburbs near Madison, Milwaukee and Appleton.

(La Crosse and Eau Claire might have a few suburbs that have a good amount of white collar jobs, but I'm not familiar with those cities).

EXTREMELY HIGH PROPERTY TAXES IN WI (Folks, you have NO idea!!) I do know that just in the very recent past, CA has increased the property taxes (I know, I used to own a home in CA up to 2004! Prop. taxes used to be more reasonable in CA). But Wisconsin property taxes have been VERY HIGH for many decades, per my husband who's a native!! Not many people know that, about a "quiet" state like WI, now do they?!

Get this: As of this writing, A LAWYER IN WISCONSIN DOES NOT - I REPEAT - DOES NOT HAVE TO PASS THE BAR EXAM IN ORDER TO PRACTIVE LAW!! It's been that way for many decades in WI!! This is unheard of in CA (or of any other state in the U.S.)! Anyway, thus, when you need a lawyer for a problem you have in WI, you cannot assume that the Lawyer you hire is as competant a Lawyer as you want or need! You must choose your legal representative very, very carefully here in WI. Yes, there are ways to know if a Lawyer in WI is "bar certified", but I was completely STUNNED when I found this out a few years ago!! There was even a Judge in a county in the northern part of Wisconsin that not only did not pass the bar exam, but he did NOT even finish law school, Folks! THIS IS TRUE AND FACTUAL! And yet he became a Judge! Yikes!! It's all about "Who you know, and not WHAT you know", I guess. I heard about this Judge on the radio one day as I was driving in WI. The radio newscaster stated this info about that Judge because it was a part of a news story; I believe that Judge was charged with corruption of some kind (not to mentioned his lack of credentials)!

In many regions of WI, the SHOPPING is very limited! And I don't mean the lack of a Nordstroms store or a Bloomingdales either, I mean stores that sell BASIC stuff -- like FOOD! Sometimes you must drive for 20 minutes+ just to get to the nearest grocery store! (In CA, there is practically one on every corner!) Of course, this depends on where you live in WI. Personally, my small town does NOT have a grocery store so I drive 15 minutes to the nearest town to stock up. My commute is not bad compared others I've known who live in WI. By the way, I do not live in the "boonies" in a very remote area in northern area of Wisconsin; I live about 45 minutes from Milwaukee. Honestly.

SOCIAL ASPECTS:
WI has the highest alcohol DUI (or DWI) rate for the U.S. for both adult and juveniles!

Many (not all, but vast majority) of persons in this subculture (of WI) have a VERY HARD TIME ACCEPTING OUTSIDERS!! Even if you assume that if you move there and you "look" similar to the people who've settled there, you might think you would be accepted - but think again! Even a person like that would probably will be shunned (seriously, folks) for at least the first couple of years. Perhaps you might (and I mean MIGHT) get accepted in the community where you moved to, but there is no guarentee! Many outsiders I know never do feel "accepted" even if they've lived in WI for 10+ years. Suspicion runs high in WI towards newbies, even if you are friendly to them! Go figure!

I've got to say this: I have even encountered some WI natives who are just down right MEAN if you are not originally from their area! It has become disheartening at times for me and a few others I've known who have moved to WI from other parts of the country! I have even met a few WI natives who have actually recognized this "unfriendly" trait and have just casually thrown it off as blaming their ethnic roots: "That's just the way we are! We're close knit and don't like other kinds of people...!" Sad.......Need I say more?!

Many are not open to "new" ideas in general! "Change" is not a positive word in Wisconsin's vocabulary. I realize CA is extremely open to "the next big thing," be it electronics or music or whatever. That is also not always wise though. But at least Californians are willing to give new ideas a try!

In CA, there are many millions of people - both good and bad, both positive and negative, both successful and unsuccessful and young & old. But I can walk along any beach, any sidewalk or any mountain hiking trail in southern, central or northern CA; and "strangers" will almost always say "hello!" to me! The "stranger" could be of virtually any Ethnicity in the world: Asian American (whose origins are from Far East, Southeast or Asia minor or Philipino; etc.), African American, Hispanic (either middle-class type Hispanic American citizen or poor recent immigrant), White (of every kind: Northern European background, Western and Southern European background, Slavic (Eastern background), and Middle Eastern to include but not limited to: Iranian American, Arab American; etc.), South Pacific (Samoan; etc.) and the list goes on and on............

So, Californians KNOW they are NOT PERFECT and that their state is not perfect. But there are many wonderful things about California. The successful businesses and corporations, the exellent fire men who are well trained; the beautiful beaches, the COMPETANT Lawyers, the openness to new business and scientific ideas and the openness about living around all kinds of people (by the way, many "foreigners" who move to CA are very smart and successful though many are originally from 3rd World countries!); etc. etc.

I think the best thing about California is it's PEOPLE! ALL OF IT'S PEOPLE!!!! (Now don't gasp, CA critics!)

So if you think that the "grass is always greener on the other side" and if you are one of those Californians who HATE California and wish to move to a "better" and different state, you'd better really analyze why you have a bias against the state. You might really "love" and "admire" the folks who settled into other states like, say, Wisconsin (and indeed, there are SOME nice people there); but those other states (like WI) with whom you desire and admire have just as much problems in crime, drugs and alcohol problems, political corruption, teen pregnancies, low income persons of EVERY race and ethnicity; etc.

Please take those "rose colored glasses" off and get HONEST facts about other states (outside CA) before moving to them! Perhaps you'll find CA is a pretty nice place after all! Now, if you don't mind, I've got to "winterize" my windows and other parts of my house before Fall and especially before Winter comes!! Just thinking about a Wisconsin winter makes me cold! Brrrrrrrrr................

I don't know Coffelover, you don't exactly sound like a peach to me. Maybe your perception is off with the people who live there. Seems like everyone on this thread who gave their comment you freaked out and starting typing in bold caps saying how dare you this..that ..etc... Pleazzeee take a chil pill..some people love CA some do not...the end...

Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I don't know why but I just can't leave California. I moved here as a Sophomore in high school in 1999 and I just feel weird now when I go back to the midwest to visit friends and family. Its grown on me. Sometimes i think california is a sinking ship, but than again isnt this whole country? I feel like I am on the titanic and rather than run and panic, I will put on my best suit and continue to remain dignified. I will stay and fight the good fight, even if it is for nothing.
I also feel like I am on the Titanic, with the US being the Titanic. The part that seems most likely to sink first, however, is California.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Sigh.

This, right here, is the root of why the OP is unhappy. Folks outside of CA really don't want you trying to recreate that state in their home towns. Try having a little respect for other people and other places. You might also reflect on how California's values are related to California's current travils.
Good point there

In the OP's defense, I would say that California, while not overly friendly, is pretty accepting of people coming here from other places. Caliofornians certainly don't shun newcomers.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Good point there

In the OP's defense, I would say that California, while not overly friendly, is pretty accepting of people coming here from other places. Caliofornians certainly don't shun newcomers.
No, we welcome them with open checkbooks and encourage them to turn our state into a perfect replica of the countries they left.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:55 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,152,582 times
I really enjoyed living in CA for many years, for many reasons. Now I really enjoy not living in California for many reasons.

But anyone moving for the wrong reasons, with unrealistic expectations will likely be disappointed.

Was that the point of this thread?

Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM

364 posts, read 608,270 times
The point of this thread? It looks to me like newcomers to this forum are starting threads with a positive California spin in an attempt to take the heat off those who have dragged the state to the point of disaster.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,464,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
No, we welcome them with open checkbooks and encourage them to turn our state into a perfect replica of the countries they left.
People in states which have recieved large numbers of Californians would say the same thing about those trying to "escape California" - that they want to turn said places into a replica of CA complete with CA's bad aspects.

It all depends on one's perspective. the whole US is pretty screwed up right now, CA's difference is more one of degree than kind (especially in the context of the states bordering CA which have similar problems).

Too many Californians other than those with Midwestern roots seem to forget about the reality of the Midwest. Being the child of Midwestern transplants (OK, mom entered elementary school in CA but she wasn't born in CA) I could probably hang in the Midwest OK as I know the mentality (well, except for the weather), but those who aren't familiar with it couldn't.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,709 times
Default Cal Fire Furlow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I agree with you but thats why they are paid well with benefits & pensions. The paramedics do go with the firemen on calls. They sure rip you big time if you gotta go to the hospital. How they get away with ill never undestand. I have been paying a ripoff paramedic fee for years. I dont even want it cause my health insurance covers me fully.
Interesting that you assume Cal Fire firefighters are paid well...do you know that per hour, Firefighters are paid less than those flipping burgers at In & Out?!?! They leave their families for 3 days straight (right now my husband's been gone for over a week due to the fires), put their life on the line to save others and their belongings - keep us safe - and he (as an Engineer/Paramedic) is bringing home under $4000 a month. If he worked for LA or another department, he'd be making almost double that?! Why is that? How does that make any sense? Our State employees make that much less. YES - they earn every penny but should be paid accordingly - for their bravery, knowledge, education and experience - not paid less per hour than a fry cook at a fast food joint - Arnold - what are you doing about this!!! Are you going to pay them back for what you furlowed them?

Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,443,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
People in states which have recieved large numbers of Californians would say the same thing about those trying to "escape California" - that they want to turn said places into a replica of CA complete with CA's bad aspects.

It all depends on one's perspective. the whole US is pretty screwed up right now, CA's difference is more one of degree than kind (especially in the context of the states bordering CA which have similar problems).

Too many Californians other than those with Midwestern roots seem to forget about the reality of the Midwest. Being the child of Midwestern transplants (OK, mom entered elementary school in CA but she wasn't born in CA) I could probably hang in the Midwest OK as I know the mentality (well, except for the weather), but those who aren't familiar with it couldn't.
Well said. The mentality here in Indiana has still not grown on me, I've been here 33 years. I've never "fit in" here. I feel good in CA...until I have to fork out $1000. for rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California