Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:05 AM

21 posts, read 47,067 times

Advertisements

think for a family, if they have a duel income of at least 100 thousand (min) and want what Calif has to offer, they should come, job in hands first. For someone to relocate without a job, when they have a family and want a top school district for almost no rent it is a downer. Many would agree I am sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreita30 View Post
I never said I would move there with out a job. That would be stupid. I think your being pessimistic and you are picking on me and my lifestyle instead of just telling me what towns are nice, which is all I wanted to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 11:00 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Yeah, i sure do .... up (down, over, out) here in Santa Cruz.

Well, coyotesky,

My house here in New York is for sale & I have a place (in my mind) all picked out there and I cannot wait to begin my new California life, right there in beautiful Santa Cruz.
Hey, that's great!
I hope the move goes smoothly for you whenever it happens.
Happy Trails (if i didn't already say that to you).

Last edited by coyoteskye; 07-25-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-25-2009, 11:30 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Yeah, i sure do .... up (down, over, out) here in Santa Cruz.

Well, coyotesky,

My house here in New York is for sale & I have a place (in my mind) all picked out there and I cannot wait to begin my new California life, right there in beautiful Santa Cruz.
Wow, awesome Nancy!!! Congratulations!

I know this was a lot of planning and a long time in coming for you. Welcome home to one of the nicest parts of our Golden Sate! Come on over and visit Monterey also since you will only be a short drive away down Hwy 1.

Derek

Old 07-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Wow, awesome Nancy!!! Congratulations!

I know this was a lot of planning and a long time in coming for you. Welcome home to one of the nicest parts of our Golden Sate! Come on over and visit Monterey also since you will only be a short drive away down Hwy 1.

Derek
nice to see these happy and positive california posts this morning.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
I'm chiming in, too!! andreita30, always remember: "Where there's a will, there's a way!"

I'm noticing a theme here -- the Central Coasters -- I live in the Santa Cruz area, too -- are more positive -- maybe it's because it IS a great place to live!!!

CoyoteSkye has summed it up pretty well -- live simply.

I actually have a good idea where Nancy thereader will end up, and she, too, never thought it possible to live in beautiful California. First, one needs the attitude to even want to do it -- which you already have, andreita30. That's a great start.

When I came here 13 years ago from Buffalo, New York, I was a single mother of a 6-year-old. Yes, it was difficult in the beginning, but I made it. I still have my county job (knock on wood! ), and I currently live in Felton, a beautiful smaller town in the Santa Cruz Mountains only 6 miles from the beach. However, I am moving into Santa Cruz, proper, next month.

Believe me, if I can do it, I know anyone can do it. Life is always a series of ups and downs -- it's just how it is no matter where you are. Some places seem to flow more smoothly than others -- but I think that the instinct and intuitive sense of a place drawing one, really makes a difference.

Being from New York State and having lived in Arizona, Washington State (Seattle), Colorado and now California, I can tell you that the attitudes back east are much more negative. That was one of the things I hadn't realized when I moved back there for a few years. I had become acclimated to the "Go for it" attitude of the west, and when I got back east, so many people, no matter what it was that was mentioned, jumped in with all the negatives first! That surprised me, because I had become used to people supporting ideas instead of opposing them. To me, that is a major difference.

I agree that the Central Coast (Santa Cruz) is a great place to be. Yes, I know people will say "It's too expensive...it's this, it's that," but when you come down to it, we all have to live someplace. For awhile, I was going to leave California and go to New Mexico, which is cheaper. I found myself already thinking of things I would miss from here - things that seemed silly, but I like: Trader Joe's, Grocery Outlet (keep this one in mind, as it really helps with a family on a budget), the coast, the flowers, the open attitude, tolerance, etc.

If your boyfriend can really transfer out here, then I say to "Go for it!" Why not? There are millions of people living in California and there is always room for three more people. All the millions of people in California are not homeless. They are not all illegals. They are not all unemployed. Logically, you can see that there are people making it.

Like CoyoteSkye, I, too, live simply. I do think that is a big key if you are not wealthy. But.....the upside to me is that there are SOOOOOOO many GREAT FREE things here, that you don't have to spend a lot of money, other than for housing and food. I can't even think to a time when I have spent money for entertainment here in Santa Cruz.

Here's an example -- and I don't care how tacky it sounds, because it's fun and it's free (and a kid would love it). I never had much money, and I do live frugally -- but the plus side is that most time is spent outdoors because you are not confined by rain, snow or humidity. Our yacht harbor in Santa Cruz is free to walk around. It's, obviously, right on the coast. There's a great beach nearby. There's ... and this is the "tacky" part... a FREE shuttle boat that takes you from one end of the yacht harbor to the other. It comes by a stop, you hop on, it takes you to the other end, and along the way, you're feeling the cool ocean breeze in your hair, you may even see a sea lion or two amidst the sailboats, and you get a great view of the ocean, and a nice relaxing ride -- for free! We do that just for fun in the summer.

And at Christmas time, there is the (free) Festival of Boats at the yacht harbor. You bring a little blanket or folding chair, and come down, and in the dark, you watch the boats decorated in colorful Christmas lights, floating down the harbor, as they are judged and you can hear on the loudspeaker whose boat it is and the theme, while lively Christmas music plays. What I really love are the people in kayaks who wear little "wings" all lit up, and because they are in a kayak and it's dark out, you can't even "see" them, all you see are these wings (and sometimes they have halos), and it looks like little angels floating along the water!

Then you have the marvelous redwoods and tremendous hiking trails. I often go to Quail Hollow Ranch which has horse trails, and a nature center, and just walk around there. It has many trails to walk through -- again, all free. Or I can just walk along the beach and pick up shells and listen to the waves lapping against the shore. And watching surfers along West Cliff Drive -- all free. I had a friend visiting from Boston last year and we went into Santa Cruz for breakfast, and drove along West Cliff Drive (just gorgeous), and came across an international surfing contest! Yes, international -- surfers from Brazil and Australia, and the U.S. and other places -- all free to watch -- along with Reggae music playing as they caught the waves.

Once you take care of housing, schools (schools are fine here -- even NYS has gone down in quality), and food, you will be fine. You'll never have to spend a penny on entertainment because here, so much of it is free. The Santa Cruz Wharf hosts many events on weekends -- again free -- from arts, to old Woodies cars, to free music, and the list goes on and on.

My daughter has thanked me over and over again for moving her to California -- she never wants to leave (she is now in college).

And, for me, wages were twice what they were in Buffalo (okay, Buffalo is a depressed city, but making twice was a big deal to me). The wages are often higher out here to compensate for the higher cost of living and it evens out. I don't know about construction, but if you have some money, this is a great time to buy out here.

MtnSurfer, yes, I am sure Nancy will be visiting Monterey -- maybe with me!! I also love to window shop in Carmel -- I can't afford to really buy, but I love going to Carmel for the day and having tea and scones at "Tuck's Tea House." We love going into the shop filled with music boxes and musical clocks -- it's entertainment right there watching and listening to those.

If someone is wealthy, they'll make their own lives here. If you're not wealthy to begin with, there is still a "wealth" of things to do for free, that you cannot get elsewhere, no matter how much money you have. There is a higher quality of life here because, I think, the attitude is better, the scenery, obviously, is gorgeous, there is much to do for free, and of course, a lot of sunshine doesn't hurt!

I only speak for the Central/South Bay portion of California. I have never been attracted to the LA area, San Diego is okay, but mostly the touristy areas downtown. I love San Francisco but can't afford to live there, but it's an easy trip to there from here.

If your heart is strongly telling you to come here, and it seems that you are pretty set on it, and your boyfriend will have a job, then try it. You can certainly go back. You're not forced to stay here and struggle. And maybe like me and others here, you'll find that after some searching and things just "falling into place," that you'll stay here. Any new move involves risk, and it is also the unknown.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you enjoy sunny California!!

Old 07-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Wisteria, great post.
If anyone is tuned into and loves to be in nature, you don't need a cent to enjoy the Santa Cruz area.
Nature is powerful here.
Well actually, the only thing i do invest in is a $90.00 year-long pass for California parks and it can be used all over the state.
Since i go to Man Resa beach and Nisene Marks with my dog so often, it's worth it.
What Santa Cruz county does ask of you, if you're not financially and socially fixed or set, is a tremendous amount of openness and flexibility and a willingness to leave expectations, gathered in ones previous life, at the "border".
If you don't have money and can't buy your security and gate yourself in, you need to be able to flow here in a way that may not have been required of you previously.
By the way, Wisteria, Do you live in a little magical piece of land in felton where you're not confined by rain?

Old 07-25-2009, 04:58 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
coyoteskye, yes, I do believe we have met before.....my magical space in Felton is going to a young couple who seem to have a similar mind-set. I am getting too old to care for such a large piece of land by myself, and I am moving into Santa Cruz into a much smaller place. I will only be a few blocks from Cove's Beach, and the Aloha Grille.

I do believe you knew of the ventures I have been involved in and have had to suspend them because of some personal problems I have had. However, once I am in town and have more time to spend on weekends, I may resume....I am not sure.

I plan to focus on some of my art work (I do teach "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain" through the City of Santa Cruz Parks and Recreation). I think it is the right thing for me to do. I miss having large groups to my beautiful mystical garden, however, I will not miss all the labor involved to keep them beautiful!

I had envisioned who I wanted to live in my space in Felton, and I think it is them. They even wrote me a beautiful letter (although we have never met in person) thanking me for creating this special place. The energy is palpable. Good energy!

However, I have had many years up here in the mountains and moving into town will be another adventure of discovering what is there that I had either missed or did not have time to see. With less labor involved and less money spent on housing, I may find I can do more...which would be great.

So, I say "good-bye" to the mountains, and "hello" to the ocean. Glad to see you're still around. I am sure you understood by what I meant that "Where there's a will, there's a way!" There are many of us who live by that creed! Maybe I'll see you around town once I get there!

Thanks for remembering.
Wisteria

Old 07-25-2009, 05:17 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Gosh, this is becoming more and more exciting. I just can't wait for my condo here to sell so that I can live my California dream.

It's not downsizing ; it is a different way of life (unless you live in Malibu as a millionaire), but as Wisteria says : there are all these wonderful things to do for FREE . The whole outdoors is right there in front of you.

How very serendipitous that you two had similiar experiences. I know Wisteria will not mind me mentioning that she and my brother who lives in Colorado know some of the same people who live right there in Santa Cruz.

Karma, I hope.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-25-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
coyoteskye, yes, I do believe we have met before.....my magical space in Felton is going to a young couple who seem to have a similar mind-set. I am getting too old to care for such a large piece of land by myself, and I am moving into Santa Cruz into a much smaller place. I will only be a few blocks from Cove's Beach, and the Aloha Grille.

I do believe you knew of the ventures I have been involved in and have had to suspend them because of some personal problems I have had. However, once I am in town and have more time to spend on weekends, I may resume....I am not sure.

I plan to focus on some of my art work (I do teach "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain" through the City of Santa Cruz Parks and Recreation). I think it is the right thing for me to do. I miss having large groups to my beautiful mystical garden, however, I will not miss all the labor involved to keep them beautiful!

I had envisioned who I wanted to live in my space in Felton, and I think it is them. They even wrote me a beautiful letter (although we have never met in person) thanking me for creating this special place. The energy is palpable. Good energy!

However, I have had many years up here in the mountains and moving into town will be another adventure of discovering what is there that I had either missed or did not have time to see. With less labor involved and less money spent on housing, I may find I can do more...which would be great.

So, I say "good-bye" to the mountains, and "hello" to the ocean. Glad to see you're still around. I am sure you understood by what I meant that "Where there's a will, there's a way!" There are many of us who live by that creed! Maybe I'll see you around town once I get there!

Thanks for remembering.
Wisteria

No, i don't think we've met before but i still enjoyed reading your post.
I was teasing you because in your first great post on this thread you mentioned not being confined by rain and since i find the rain so confining in the winter, i was wondering where you are in Felton where it doesn't confine you. It was a little joke that didn't translate well.
Anyway, welcome to down here.
I couldn't live much farther than a few miles from the ocean.
I'm about 5 miles from the ocean in a very rural area and even that's a bit too far away but i can't complain.
As if 5 miles is a problem!
Lush gardens, lama, chickens, redwoods, room for my dog to roam around the property, etc.
I'm in a teeny studio but on property with great people so it's fine.
I've lived in so many places in the county over the years.
Not being an owner, it is a challenge and requires that flexibility that i spoke of but so far, it's worth it to be here because i love S.C. county.
I sure wouldn't mind having a place of my own however.
Contacts are a good thing NancytheReader.
Especially when you're moving across the continent into a new world (and a new life)!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:00 PM

I do apologize, CoyoteSkye, your name is so similar to someone who moved here several years ago and had attended some events at my magical garden paradise in Felton -- descriptions many have given it throughout the years. And, no, I will not miss the torrential mountain rains! A little mist and fog near the ocean will be all I'll have now! I'll be living more simply! Or simply living!

But what we have in common is a love of nature, living simply, and an interesting take on life!

Doesn't matter, though, I introduce myself to you: I am Wisteria, how very nice to meet you, CoyoteSkye!! See, now we've met! Nancy, I'd like you to meet CoyoteSkye, too!

As Nancy said about her brother, Colorado and California have some things in common. Having lived in Boulder, my friends who also live(d) there and visit here call Santa Cruz "Boulder by the Sea!" So true, so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California