U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
 
Location: North Texas
2,487 posts, read 5,723,977 times
Reputation: 1700

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpeace85 View Post
I live south of the twin cities.. Grew up here my whole life and need a change. Something different. So from what I am getting from people is California is not that its all cracked up to be?? I am really glad you are all honest and keep it coming.. I am not planning this for about a year year and a half.. But, I wanted to get the ball rolling on whats out there and opinions. Any other suggestions are great! But I really do want a beach nearby!

Maybe Northern Cal. area or even oregan.

Plan a trip to california before you pack everything up and move. trust me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2009, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Reputation: 41529
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
that's so presumptuous.
how do you know that she's chasing a dream and what's the matter with a dream anyway?
if someone has the notion that they want to live in California, why recommend Nevada, Arizona, etc.
yeah, nevada sun in July ... lovely.
geesh.
california may not have been what you wanted or expected.
there is a reason that people are drawn here.
in large part it's often about the pacific ocean.
so they come and find that it's home and they love it or they find that it's not what they had hoped for.
i have to agree with Rowlett, Ca isn't what it is cracked up to be. This doesn't mean it isn'a a great place in many ways, it is, but it isn't heaven and has more problems than one can imagine. The job situation, combined with the cost of living is bad enough, plus everything else.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
1,554 posts, read 4,819,074 times
Reputation: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
I know they have no beach.....Vegas might not be the best place to live. Never lived there only visit. OP wants in the middle of a busy city.
OP said near a beach , after you've partied all night in Vegas what's left? Hoover dam? My friend hardly even goes to the strip anymore because the novelty has worn off once you live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Location: NW. MO.
1,817 posts, read 5,945,262 times
Reputation: 1354
Do you have the time and money to take a cross country road trip anytime? Be nice if you could take some time and a friend and money of course and just got for a while. You could see the sights and get a look around before you set your mind on something. That would be helpful to find a good spot and fun.

It's nice to think of going somewhere totally different and starting over and fresh with all new people and experiences and sights. I've lived in Ca. (northern, not close to beaches) for a lot of years and I had that same hope and dream when I moved out for 2 years. I was in heaven and the memories are some I am so thankful to have. The things to see, smell, new foods, it was awesome.

Plan well, have a fall back if you need it and someone who will be there to help you if you need it (even if they are a phone call and not in person), do research like you are, and enjoy life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,419,862 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i have to agree with Rowlett, Ca isn't what it is cracked up to be. This doesn't mean it isn'a a great place in many ways, it is, but it isn't heaven and has more problems than one can imagine. The job situation, combined with the cost of living is bad enough, plus everything else.

Nita
If people have unrealistic expectations and think that it's Nirvana, then yeah, they'll be disappointed.
For me it's about the land and nature, the Pacific, and the spirit of what, to me, California is essentially about.
I feel badly for people who are financially suffering because of the economic downturn and for anyone who is directly effected by the poor governing here.
I'm in an extremely expensive area of CA and it does suck that i have to pay so much for housing and i'm nowhere near to being wealthy.
But it doesn't make me feel bitter and want to tell people to stay away.
Who am i to know whether someone should move here or not?
I figure if it's their intention is to give it a try, why not help them get here and support their dream.
I love California and if other people feel drawn to it, they might be lovers of it too.
So they can come and stay and everyone else who doesn't love it can go live in Nevada and Arizona and South Dakota and then California will be a happy place full of love and happy people who are here because of the earth and nature and the ocean and the spirit of it all and not for economic reasons or 'cause they want a piece of the "American dream" (I'm joking ... kind of).
I always wonder about people who moved here and left and are now embittered about California.
What did they expect?
Paradise?
The California that Hollywood presents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Reputation: 41529
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
If people have unrealistic expectations and think that it's Nirvana, then yeah, they'll be disappointed.
For me it's about the land and nature, the Pacific, and the spirit of what, to me, California is essentially about.
I feel badly for people who are financially suffering because of the economic downturn and for anyone who is directly effected by the poor governing here.
I'm in an extremely expensive area of CA and it does suck that i have to pay so much for housing and i'm nowhere near to being wealthy.
But it doesn't make me feel bitter and want to tell people to stay away.
Who am i to know whether someone should move here or not?
I figure if it's their intention is to give it a try, why not help them get here and support their dream.
I love California and if other people feel drawn to it, they might be lovers of it too.
So they can come and stay and everyone else who doesn't love it can go live in Nevada and Arizona and South Dakota and then California will be a happy place full of love and happy people who are here because of the earth and nature and the ocean and the spirit of it all and not for economic reasons or 'cause they want a piece of the "American dream" (I'm joking ... kind of).
I always wonder about people who moved here and left and are now embittered about California.
What did they expect?
Paradise?
The California that Hollywood presents?
you know I pretty much agree with you. I do not think CA is a place for many to re-locate to at this moment but unless someone asked I probably would not say anything. That doesn't mean I do not think it is a perfect place for many to live. Obviously it does not have millions of people for no reason. I would guess of our friends that are still in the state it is about 50/50 as to whether they are happy right now.

My biggest concern are those who see California through the movies and tour books. No matter what they say, that is how most people, especially the very young see it.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,419,862 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know I pretty much agree with you. I do not think CA is a place for many to re-locate to at this moment but unless someone asked I probably would not say anything. That doesn't mean I do not think it is a perfect place for many to live. Obviously it does not have millions of people for no reason. I would guess of our friends that are still in the state it is about 50/50 as to whether they are happy right now.

My biggest concern are those who see California through the movies and tour books. No matter what they say, that is how most people, especially the very young see it.

Nita
i hear you.
andreita certainly proves your point. (no offense andreita and i hope you find what you're looking for. i'm clueless about L.A. given it's certainly not where i'd wanna be).
yeah, the medias influence is big ... too big and regarding everything but it certainly does give a romantic and idealistic picture of CA and everyone wants it.
i mean, it's been the stage for film and t.v. for generations now.
weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 08:21 PM
 
25,959 posts, read 28,359,899 times
Reputation: 24609
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Hawaii and California are the two of the three most expensive states to live in, I hope you have a decent job lined up because if not you won't make it out here. Cheap housing is $800 for a 4-600 Sq Foot studio .
Yes, I can agree with that. I pay $850 for my studio in the San Jose and most would say that is cheap. Other areas within an hour's drive of the coast in CA may be cheaper but don't count on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 08:39 PM
 
25,959 posts, read 28,359,899 times
Reputation: 24609
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpeace85 View Post
I live south of the twin cities.. Grew up here my whole life and need a change. Something different. So from what I am getting from people is California is not that its all cracked up to be?? I am really glad you are all honest and keep it coming.. I am not planning this for about a year year and a half.. But, I wanted to get the ball rolling on whats out there and opinions. Any other suggestions are great! But I really do want a beach nearby!
In general, CA is not all it's cracked up to be unless...1. you don't plan on having kids (ever) or 2. you have a family and earn 100K per year or more at a job you like. or 3. both #1 and #2.

If you don't plan on having kids, plan on earning at least 40k (some would say 50K) to have a decent lifestyle here (we're talking studio apartment with the abilty to still save something for rainy day/retirement). Some people can and do live on less (I have a friend who lives in a co-op, and despite the crappy mass transit, doesn't own a car; She lives on 10K per year and is happy...but she is most definitely the rare exception).

In general, incomes are higher here, but not high enough to make up for the higher cost of living. There are some exeptions to that, but I don't think hairdressers would be.

Things people like about CA:

--the weather
--the ocean/scenery/geography
--the politics (if you're liberal)
--the racial/ethnic diversity and general lack of racial tension that exists in some other places

Things people don't like about CA:

--high cost of housing
--high taxes for mediocre/poor services
--the politics (if you're moderate/conservative)
--not particularly family oriented (partly because of cost of living, and partly just the general culture here)
--illegal immigrants who use a disproportionate amount of state services
--Earthquake/natural disaster risk (both Northern CA and Southern CA are overdue for major earthquakes (7.0+) according so seismologists).

The thing to remember is that a lot of young people are not bothered by the negatives that much because 1. they're not earning that much yet and don't have kids, so the taxes aren't hitting them that hard 2. They don't have kids yet so they haven't paid attention to how much it costs to buy or rent in a decent school district.

Some people love it here for the first couple of years, but the negatives wear some people down over time. Some find they are too busy working to do the things they thought they would do all the time (like going to the beach). Others find that the culture here, especially for singles, revolves around spending money...which either means you don't save and/or go in debt...or you may have to say 'no' to a lot of activities people are doing because you can't afford to do them.

That said, some people are able to overlook the negatives and say that any place with as nice weather/geography as CA is going to be expensive and that they are willing and able to pay a premium for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 AM
 
97 posts, read 233,705 times
Reputation: 202
Agreed, people don't often understand what it means, particularly those from the Midwest and the South (no offense intended) who have watched too much TV. It is a very grass is always greener attitude among people, particularly young people.

As a native and former lifelong Californian, who has lived in some of the finest communities in coastal Southern California, let me tell you that you will need to really take a look at what your ambitions are.

1. What do you plan to do with your life here: if your handle is right you are around 24, without a unique skill or college education, you will be relegated to lower paid service work, primarily in competition with immigrants who often accept a lower standard of living than you are used to in "boring" MN.

2. Sunshine and perfect weather are nice, the coastal weather is perhaps one of the most comfortable in the world. However, the beaches in CA are usually quite cold and often polluted, beautiful to look at, but hardly the warm balmy waters of HI or FL

3. Quality of life: I presume you are single, so you can afford to bum it with a few roommates, or other hostel type living arraingment, this will give you some freedom to enjoy a variety of places that would otherwise be out of your reach. Understand the meaning of this type of transient living and you should do fine. If you are independantly wealthy, then it will be a paradise.

When you are young an unattached it is easy to live a bohemian existance and explore. I think it is great, have fun. Think about what you want to do with your life overall as to not find yourself going from free spirited youth, to shiftless adult approaching middle age with virtually no prospects.
And a friendly word of advise: please, don't call California, "Cali", nothing is more a giveaway of a star struck, overcompensating Midwesterner than one who utters "Cali". It screams, rube!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top