U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,422,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
#1 on that list is road attitude. I'm sorry but with the possible exception of Las Vegas, we have some of the worst drivers I've ever encountered. They're just rude and they know it. People drifting lanes with no signals, people on cell phones not paying attention, people on motorcycles speeding through traffic lanes between cars, people cutting others off, people delaying traffic, people blocking exit routes, etc etc etc. Compared to Seattle where it felt significantly more peaceful, or Arizona where the various cameras and speed traps kept people in check, SoCal feels like death stalking due to the drivers.
I know you didn't just suggest another money-sucking big brother device for our overgrown state government to subject us to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,408,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
No...the thread is accurate. People down this way are rude. But it depends on how you measure that attitude. For me it boils down to four things:

- Workplace attitude
- Road attitude
- Walking around attitude
- Store interaction attitude

Walking around and store interactions - not that bad. #2 is workplace attitude...oh my. In companies that are local and homegrown...they're about the worst bunch of people you ever did meet. Especially companies that give away bonuses like it's candy. I speak from direct experience on this subject. There's greed, and that greed, when not satiated, translates to a HORRIBLE demeanor.

#1 on that list is road attitude. I'm sorry but with the possible exception of Las Vegas, we have some of the worst drivers I've ever encountered. They're just rude and they know it. People drifting lanes with no signals, people on cell phones not paying attention, people on motorcycles speeding through traffic lanes between cars, people cutting others off, people delaying traffic, people blocking exit routes, etc etc etc. Compared to Seattle where it felt significantly more peaceful, or Arizona where the various cameras and speed traps kept people in check, SoCal feels like death stalking due to the drivers.
With regards to Arizona, your use of the word "feels" is certainly relevant, because that's all it is: your feeling. In reality, California has a lower traffic fatality rate than Arizona. It has a slightly higher one than Washington (though it's a lot closer to Washington's rate than it is to Arizona's rate). I know you mentioned Southern California and Seattle, and not California and Washington, but both areas have such a disproportionate amount of the population of their respective states that the regional rate is not going to vary much from the statewide figures.

Empirical data is far more useful than one's "feeling".

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s1068.pdf

Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 PM

950 posts, read 2,225,211 times
We lived in San Diego for 10 years and never thought the people were rude. Most people were usually in a pretty decent mood with all of that sunshine.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:06 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,809,417 times
I've lived in San Diego since I was born! That's 20 years and I've never noticed this. Yes I've met people who were rude, but the ironic thng is, they were trasnplants from somewhere else.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,381,249 times
The reason why you never have noticed it is because you are use to it.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,809,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
What a dumb post. I know what rude is.

No, I never noticed it because it's not a big issue. You all act as if every single fu*king person in SoCal is rude. Not true. there are rude people everywhere and a lot of the rude are trasnplants from the Mideast and south and the NE.

Anyways nobody should take you as a credible source as you have pretty much no profile information and you post in the Christianity and relationships boards the most. That says a lot about you

Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 22,685 times
I'm from Norcal and the coolest folks I know are SoCal natives that have relocated to the Bay Area.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 PM

950 posts, read 2,225,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
So why didn't I notice it when I lived in San Diego for over 10 years (from 19-30) when I was born and raised in the Midwest? Most of my closest friends still live in San Diego and we would love to move back there.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:42 AM

17 posts, read 40,851 times
I'm blessed to have made some wonderful friendships in SoCal, but it took
years to cultivate these relationships. I think that the "strangers in a strange land" syndrome exists here. People from all over the world flock to CA and the lure of Hollywood fame and fortune. When people realize that it's not that easy to achieve their dreams, bitterness ensues. There is often a clash of cultures because of the extraordinary high rates of immigrants. A sense of isolation exists for individuals lacking a strong social support when they move here. Add over-population and massive traffic to the equation which create even greater social challenges.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:16 AM

9,729 posts, read 18,413,929 times
I have run into alot of rude people over the years in the IE. They will get theirs in due time.

Everyone does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or