U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 PM

403 posts, read 1,166,399 times

Advertisements

Look at our mortgage & PG&E payments and you'll know why we're bitchy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,224,113 times
I'd like to chime in as a person who once had this hatred for and lack of desire to visit California that was steeped in ignorance and assumption. "Everyone there is gay." "The state will fall in to the ocean." "Why live out there in all that crowd?" (Okay, well, the whole state's not all crowded.) "Fake boobs and ditsy blonds." Those were the lines I heard from a lot of people and I gave in to them.

I have been to SoCal twice, including four days last week. I have interacted with many SoCal residents, native and transplant (to be found out upon interaction), while working in customer service. Obviously, the LA Metropolis is where nearly 22 million people reside (if you include Santa Barbara, IE and Victorville/Apple Valley). Naturally, I saw all types of people out and about: friendly, upbeat, polite, impolite, surly, snobby, sarcastic, rich, homeless, etc. Just the way it is. I don't care for the surly, snobby or sarcastic types but will look surly myself just so they can stay away from me.

On the other hand, I am continually amazed at just how friendly many people are that I interact with from SoCal. Or, at the least, polite and helpful. I can go into details about many positive encounters and conversations w/ L.A/O.C./I.E folks, although I don't want to bore you all with the details. And, although only a visitor, I covered 400-500 miles of SoCal territory on each trip and heard no more horn honks or saw no more rude gestures than I would in one single day in No. KY/Cincy.

Trust me, many people here in Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati where I live are nice, but there are a lot of vicious, sarcastic, surly folks here also. Every 1 out of 8 cars, so it seems, are so-called luxury cars. Many outlying suburbs have a level of pretension that is no worse than anything I've experienced in northwestern L.A. County or western Orange Co. The same can be said for Louisville (the meanest, most vicious city I've lived in, and that's NO joke) and Lexington (very materialistic place), both of which are obviously much smaller even than Greater Cincinnati. Of course, meanness, impoliteness, politeness, kindness, niceness, etc. transcends racial and economic boundaries and, after years of working in customer service, the ones who have something to "prove", "teach" or "control" are the people who are pains the arse.

That said, I'm not saying that Kentucky, or the South, is less friendly than California necessarily. Why do you think they call it "Southern hospitality"? Many non-urban, and many urban, Kentuckians, while maybe a little standoffish, can be also some of the most kind-hearted and helpful people around. Break down on the Bluegrass Parkway or US 127 here? Five rednecks in Dodge Ram 3500 pickups with Confederate flag decals will probably pull over within 15 minutes and offer assistance. I'm not sure, however, that Southern California has a deserved reputation for rudeness. If anything, the people I've met from L.A./SoCal have been friendlier than folks from other large metros such as NYC/North Jersey, DC, Miami, San Antonio, Cincinnati, Louisville, and, by all means, the Bay Area. The friendliest folks from large cities that I've encountered in my travels have been in Fort Worth/Arlington, Houston/Galveston, Nashville, and, surprisingly, Atlanta.

The urban planning, or dysfunction, that is SoCal fascinates me and I am already ready to come back. While I like all of California that I've seen, which is a lot, your region has a development and growth pattern that maybe unique in the history of the world. As a man with a personal interest in planning, I am intrigued and am ready to come back and explore the neighborhoods and museums that comprise and explain L.A., respectively. L.A. is a puzzle, an enigma, whereas NYC, SF, DC and Chicago are more grid-style and "clear cut"...not that there's anything wrong w/ that b/c at least those cities are more easily navigable. Of course, the nice weather and people certainly are great attributes.

By the way, I apologize for blindly giving in to the stereotypes in the past.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 09-08-2010 at 08:55 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,232,570 times
Many of us have limited exposure to Americans outside of California but I have traveled to Florida and Puerto Rico several times and traveled across the Southwest into Texas once. Recently I had the opportunity I've been waiting for a long time and spent 4 days in New York City attending my cousin's wedding.

Overall, I honestly can't see much difference in people anywhere I have traveled except perhaps NYC. As far as rudeness in Los Angeles compared to Phoenix, Albuquerque, San Antonio, Miami and San Juan; there really isn't much difference in my experience. All are relatively large cities and people on the go and somewhat fast pace but people were basically decent to each other; some jerks and some very nice folks but overall about the same.

In NYC I saw a different attitude among some people and rudeness was more apparent than I have experienced in other places. For example, I jaywalked across a 2-lane street in lower Manhattan and a guy in his car started sounding his horn nonstop even though I had to be at least 50 feet away and did not slow him down hardly at all. I gave him a dirty look so the guy stops his car and gets out giving me the finger and yelling at me in Italian. Meanwhile the cars behind the guy are angry with him for stopping and start laying on their car horns so the guy turns around and gives them the finger also. And his kids are yelling profanities at me while he eventually drives by. I've never seen anything like this over something so insignificant. There were other examples but I won't go into them.

So anyway, I don't think people are angels in the city of Angels but they also don't blow their cool over minor incidents.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,549,129 times
We are not that rude, we are just like any other huge city. In my travels I found that Eastcoasters are more rude but I could have been unlucky and was near the rude people. So I won't judge them yet . There are about 20 million people in the LA/OC/IE area and there are going to be both rude and nice people.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,422,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
By the way, I apologize for blindly giving in to the stereotypes in the past.
no worries that's a much fairer account than some of our own former residents gave in the first page of this thread, who gave in to the "ruthless and materialistic" stereotypes.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:00 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,849,365 times
I think people in Southern California are rude due to the stress of expensive housing and high taxes. But in my family's experience, people on the East Coast (especially New Yorkers) are extremely ruder than Californians.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 AM

4,811 posts, read 8,809,417 times
People in Southern California aren't anymore rude or nicer than anywhere else. People are rude everywhere. I've met rude people in Texas and Arizona. They are found everywhere and the "SoCal is rude" statement is a cliche stereotype. Many tourists will say people here in San Diego are really friendly and help them around the city. Just because one or two people are rude doesn't mean the whole area is.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:20 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,789,990 times
What a pathetic excuse for a thread. I haven't ever had problems before in Southern California. What a beautiful part of the state, with a very nice attitude. Keep it up!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:48 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,215,126 times
No...the thread is accurate. People down this way are rude. But it depends on how you measure that attitude. For me it boils down to four things:

- Workplace attitude
- Road attitude
- Walking around attitude
- Store interaction attitude

Walking around and store interactions - not that bad. #2 is workplace attitude...oh my. In companies that are local and homegrown...they're about the worst bunch of people you ever did meet. Especially companies that give away bonuses like it's candy. I speak from direct experience on this subject. There's greed, and that greed, when not satiated, translates to a HORRIBLE demeanor.

#1 on that list is road attitude. I'm sorry but with the possible exception of Las Vegas, we have some of the worst drivers I've ever encountered. They're just rude and they know it. People drifting lanes with no signals, people on cell phones not paying attention, people on motorcycles speeding through traffic lanes between cars, people cutting others off, people delaying traffic, people blocking exit routes, etc etc etc. Compared to Seattle where it felt significantly more peaceful, or Arizona where the various cameras and speed traps kept people in check, SoCal feels like death stalking due to the drivers.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,422,142 times
I almost feel bad for people who think SoCal is rude, but have yet to experience NYC, Boston, and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or