Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 16,237 times

Advertisements

Looking for hotel recommendations near the park as well as best sights to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:02 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Stay in Crecent City. There are many hotels there and it is good location to access many redwood locations.

My favorite are is just south of Crecent City which is Del Norte Coast Redwoods state park. Find the Damnation Trail right off Hwy 1. It is beautiful. Here are a few shots I took this May:

The fog actually makes it more scenic especially if the sun starts breaking through it.

Derek

Old 07-24-2009, 10:52 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,541 times
There is an older place I enjoy staying, because the rooms are like just $75 per night, and less when it's not summer. Curly Redwood Lodge. One of my favorite places to eat is very close - The Chart Room. It's not fancy like having coffee pots. But the rooms are big. The bathrooms are pretty sparkling too. Several folks have met me there for hiking and bushwhacking from places like Ft. Bragg to the south or Germany overseas, and have been pleased with the accomodations.

Let us know when you are coming and for how long, so we can suggest sights. Coming into Portland, then south? Or the longer drive from SF?

Curly Redwood Lodge, Crescent City, California

Hey MntSurfer....

My son and I were just down at the redwoods again June 28th - July 1st. For certain I'm headed down the first week of September. But possibly in August as well.

Attached Thumbnails
Redwood National Park-redwood_stream_700.jpg   Redwood National Park-titan_michael_700.jpg  

Last edited by mdvaden; 07-24-2009 at 11:02 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 12:39 AM

97 posts, read 578,970 times
We were just up there a couple days ago. Crescent City is ok. Seems a little depressing to me. I personally liked the town of Brookings, OR just across the border. Thriving town, attractive downtown, not too far from the Redwoods and right on the coast.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ View Post
We were just up there a couple days ago. Crescent City is ok. Seems a little depressing to me. I personally liked the town of Brookings, OR just across the border. Thriving town, attractive downtown, not too far from the Redwoods and right on the coast.
Our last visit, we also spent 2 days at Brookings, at Harris Beach State Park campground. For me, just depends on what I'm doing. If it's mainly redwoods forest exploring - 98% of my time in the trees - I pick Crescent City because it's a lot closer. I'm in and out of the room, and other than that, little time in Crescent City. If I spare a few hours extra per late afternoon and evening, then it's often Brookings, which is the more attractive of the two towns. A few weeks ago, it was real handy to leave the Curly Redwood Lodge and be entering Jedediah Smith redwoods in about 10 minutes. I'm not sure which motels to recommend in Brookings though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: