Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 AM

10 posts, read 40,812 times

Advertisements

My husband may very well be opening a business branch in CA and we may end up relocating there, any suggestions of where I should start my research? We live in Naples, FL now and before that were in West Palm Beach. We love being near the beach but schools and safety is #1, followed by nice weather and hopes to have at least a small yard. We would definitely rent at first before buying to make sure of the area regardless. Things that we do not like about Florida are the constant humidity being the price for sunshine, as well as the ridiculous taxes. Thanks for any help at all!

Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Cheeks View Post
My husband may very well be opening a business branch in CA and we may end up relocating there, any suggestions of where I should start my research? We live in Naples, FL now and before that were in West Palm Beach. We love being near the beach but schools and safety is #1, followed by nice weather and hopes to have at least a small yard. We would definitely rent at first before buying to make sure of the area regardless. Things that we do not like about Florida are the constant humidity being the price for sunshine, as well as the ridiculous taxes. Thanks for any help at all!

Laura
What might your price range be for a house?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What might your price range be for a house?
We realize it will be pricier there, though FL lately is no slouch. Ideally we'd prefer not to exceed $3500/mo in rent, do not know if that is even realistic, for purchasing, we'd like to stay under a million.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 AM

124 posts, read 734,137 times
Orange County is the area that is most similar to Collier County. Many cities are very similar to Naples; however have a much younger demographic (i.e. 35 median age vs 70 median age).

Look in South OC, you can't go wrong... Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, Rancho Santa Margarita, Irvine, Newport Beach, and more. All have excellent schools and are aprox. 70% family households and up.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 48,452 times
Quote:

Laura
absolutely orange county!!!!! one of the greatest communities is cypress. it has it's own school district k-6. no gangs claim that area. it borders LA county and is 15 miles to the beach. huntington beach. my kids grew up there and we made the mistake of moving. they want to go back and so do i. unfortunately, we can't afford to do it. i would be going back as a single parent as so it's just not viable for me anymore. you can rent a nice home for $2,300 and i would look at the neighborhood around grindley street/ it's close to oxford academy. good luck.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
We realize it will be pricier there, though FL lately is no slouch. Ideally we'd prefer not to exceed $3500/mo in rent, do not know if that is even realistic, for purchasing, we'd like to stay under a million.

Thousand Oaks 91362

Old 10-03-2007, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 9,923 times
Charles' suggestion of Thousand Oaks which is in Ventura County is a very good start. Camarillo, Newbury Park, Simi Valley (a bit distant from the beach) and Ventura (all in Ventura County) are good choices also. Oxnard...eh... the North end only. A decent house can be rented for around $2000 and up in any of these locations. Ojai may be worth looking into as well. Ventura probably has the most moderate weather of all of the choices in that the temperature is typically right around 75 degrees (+ or - a few points) daily. The other locations in VC are typically 10-20 degrees warmer and, in some cases, colder in the "winter".

Old 10-03-2007, 04:10 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thousand Oaks 91362

oh my goodness YES.

What a serene, safe and generally nice place.

Newbury Park next door is also very nice.

Not far from LA, but it feels removed which is great.

If your looking at NorCal,
Id say Mill Valley in Marin County but its very pricey.

Unfortunately safety AND proximity to water cost a lot of money in California.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 PM

Thanks everyone. Someone who works with my husband originally from Cali recommends Irvine and Laguna ... thoughts on either of those? What could we expect to rent or pay for a 3 bedroom or more with some yard area?

Old 10-03-2007, 05:14 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,140 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Someone who works with my husband originally from Cali recommends Irvine and Laguna ... thoughts on either of those? What could we expect to rent or pay for a 3 bedroom or more with some yard area?
Laguna Niguel or Laguna Beach?
Anyway both of those, as well as Irvine, are in Orange County.

We looked at rentals in that general area recently.

Our search criteria were: 2,800+ sq ft, 4+ bedrooms, 3 car garage, with more than a postage stamp size lot, in what we considered to be acceptable school attendance boundaries and nice communities.

Prices started at about $3,500 and went up from there (some waaay up)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California