U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 PM

17,447 posts, read 23,875,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
eagle7 did not know, nor did the general public know the suspect was black. As I stated in another thread. Murders do happen almost everyday in LA, so only murders or deaths that involve unusual circumstance will get the most coverage. The violent kidnapping and death of a minor in broad daylight would count as unusual, just as in the shooting death of Jamiel Shaw (a 17 yeard old black football player), who was also killed.

This has nothing to do with race.
Actually there was a very similar case that happened in the Valley recently also involving the kidnapping, rape, and killing of a 17 year old girl (I don't know if Lily Burk was raped or not - the person who e-mailed the story on her in the Times said yes, but I haven't seen it in any news account) that got almost zero press, because the victim was a Latina who didn't have a mother who was a high profile entertainment lawyer. AFAIK the suspect in that case was not caught.

I didn't know Charles Samuels was black either, although I knew he wasn't Latino or Asian given the "Anglo" sound of that name. (If his last name had been Sanchez or Rodriguez, otoh, said story would be all over CityData boards and there would be all sorts of posters referring to him as an illegal alien and demanding that all of his "people" be expelled from the USA whether illegal or not. Funny how the double standards work on these boards.)

A couple things that should be kept in mind: a pretty white girl driving an expensive European car in that neighborhood would have stuck out like a sore thumb (as would a pretty girl of any race who radiated money) AND the local dirtbags would have assumed she was there to buy hard drugs thus making her more vulnerable. Lily Burk was probably not a drug user but homeless dirtbags like Samuels wouldn't know that. Also it struck me how her parents totally tried to insulate her from the nastier side of L.A. by putting her in an expensive private school rather than Marshall (the local LAUSD school), AND the media seemed to play up how she had such a "bright future" because she came from the privileged class rather than those unfortunate teens who are stuck in LAUSD hellholes (and yes, there are still a few that are white non-Latino non-immigrant). THOSE types of teens (of any racial background)get nary a peep from the media, and in the most blogged about city in the US don't even seem to keep their own blogs. But Lily was one of the "fortunate few". Seems all that expense and overprotection was all for nought.

BTW my condolences do go out to Lily's family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,475,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Actually there was a very similar case that happened in the Valley recently also involving the kidnapping, rape, and killing of a 17 year old girl (I don't know if Lily Burk was raped or not - the person who e-mailed the story on her in the Times said yes, but I haven't seen it in any news account) that got almost zero press, because the victim was a Latina who didn't have a mother who was a high profile entertainment lawyer. AFAIK the suspect in that case was not caught.

I didn't know Charles Samuels was black either, although I knew he wasn't Latino or Asian given the "Anglo" sound of that name. (If his last name had been Sanchez or Rodriguez, otoh, said story would be all over CityData boards and there would be all sorts of posters referring to him as an illegal alien and demanding that all of his "people" be expelled from the USA whether illegal or not. Funny how the double standards work on these boards.)

A couple things that should be kept in mind: a pretty white girl driving an expensive European car in that neighborhood would have stuck out like a sore thumb (as would a pretty girl of any race who radiated money) AND the local dirtbags would have assumed she was there to buy hard drugs thus making her more vulnerable. Lily Burk was probably not a drug user but homeless dirtbags like Samuels wouldn't know that. Also it struck me how her parents totally tried to insulate her from the nastier side of L.A. by putting her in an expensive private school rather than Marshall (the local LAUSD school), AND the media seemed to play up how she had such a "bright future" because she came from the privileged class rather than those unfortunate teens who are stuck in LAUSD hellholes (and yes, there are still a few that are white non-Latino non-immigrant). THOSE types of teens (of any racial background)get nary a peep from the media, and in the most blogged about city in the US don't even seem to keep their own blogs. But Lily was one of the "fortunate few". Seems all that expense and overprotection was all for nought.

Well -- Samuels wasn't an illegal because he is unfortunately a USA citizen -- so what country should he be in? The problem with criminal illegals for one is that we have plenty of domestic criminals and it's insane to import more.

Burk likely wasn't a drug user - but she did volunteer in a needle exchange program and with homeless which kind of indicates she and her parents were very much on the naive side. Do-gooders who don't see the bad and don't see a problem with pretty and rich-looking girls going into parts of town where they are hated.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- Samuels wasn't an illegal because he is unfortunately a USA citizen
Do we know that for sure? After all, if he had a Latino name, there would be all sorts of people on the C-D boards inquiring as to whether he was a US citizen or whether he was born in the US. Never mind there are millions and millions of US citizens with Latino names.

(He probably is a US citizen - but I'm just pointing out the double standard.)

Quote:
-- so what country should he be in?
Well, if the anti-illegal types modify the 14th Amendment to prevent "anchor babies", then US citizens would be able to have their citizenship stripped from them and deported. (This is something I'm very much against btw. Be careful what you wish for, it might come true and be used against you or someone you love. The 14th Amendment is what makes it impossible for US citizens to be deported/expelled. It's best left alone.)

Quote:
The problem with criminal illegals for one is that we have plenty of domestic criminals and it's insane to import more.
Certain people think anyone with a Latino last name is an illegal, unfortunately.

Quote:
Burk likely wasn't a drug user - but she did volunteer in a needle exchange program and with homeless which kind of indicates she and her parents were very much on the naive side. Do-gooders who don't see the bad and don't see a problem with pretty and rich-looking girls going into parts of town where they are hated.
A naive side that they did everything to nurture by sheltering her and keeping her out of the reality that most people in L.A. have to face at the same time that she volunteered in those programs. Most people who volunteer for needle exchange programs are ex-addicts who tend to be more streetwise.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 AM

71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's always big news when the murderer is a black male and the victim is a pretty young white girl. It ain't fair, but that's the way it is.
you know I doubt Eagle started this because of the latest news. He posted before anyone knew there was a suspect. I am not sure if we need to bring race into every discussion or many of them anyway. I don't think any of us are posting for that reason.

Nita

Old 07-29-2009, 03:24 PM

6,219 posts, read 6,642,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Let's be clear, it is not a race/ethnicity issue. The media are going to focus their resources towards stories that will attract the most readers/viewers, I mean this is how they get advertisers. Unfortunately, murders in Los Angeles happen almost everyday. So it does make sense that of crimes that involve unusual scenarios\outcomes would garner a much larger interest due to human nature. Cases would include those of celebrities or relatives of celebrities (Ennis Cosby), unusual deaths (such as the two students being hit by the car where the passanger yanked the one kid off the windshield and took off), minors being gunned down in broad daylight (Jamel Shaw, which is even more sensational because the supposed shooter was an illegal), and someone who has prominent standings or is privledged is killed (Lily Burk).

Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 PM

15,088 posts, read 17,507,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Let's be clear, it is not a race/ethnicity issue. The media are going to focus their resources towards stories that will attract the most readers/viewers, I mean this is how they get advertisers. Unfortunately, murders in Los Angeles happen almost everyday. So it does make sense that of crimes that involve unusual scenarios\outcomes would garner a much larger interest due to human nature. Cases would include those of celebrities or relatives of celebrities (Ennis Cosby), unusual deaths (such as the two students being hit by the car where the passanger yanked the one kid off the windshield and took off), minors being gunned down in broad daylight (Jamel Shaw, which is even more sensational because the supposed shooter was an illegal), and someone who has prominent standings or is privledged is killed (Lily Burk).
Agreed.

Murders happen every day yet the ones that get the most attention are the ones where the perpetrator and/or the victim were otherwise unlikely to have encountered one another; the act is completely out of character for the perpetrator; the crime's location is unexpected; the events leading up to the crime are unusual; etc. Then, of course, there are the standard conditions that warrant such attention such as involvement by a celebrity, politician, priest, etc.; particularly good looks of the victim; the brutality of the crime; etc.

This case fits a lot of those criteria.

Anyway, it is unfortunate that those who should receive the attention do not and the crime happens without anyone seeming to care, and that those who do receive the attention are subjected to criticism for being the subject of attention.

Bottom line: A terrible thing happened. And that is sad.

RIP, Lily.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 PM

9,715 posts, read 18,360,102 times
Quote:
Well -- it sounds like he's a repeat offender who always gets released by a very lax on crime system and now an innocent girl is dead.
I totally agree with you. The court system in ca is horrid. I blame the foul legislature & ignorant govenor for that. My sister was murdered over 6 yrs ago & the trial has been postponed 18 times even though the killer admitted guilt on day one. The trial is set for early sept 09. Oh....the trash who killed my sister is white.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 PM

55,486 posts, read 74,383,428 times
Quote:
Well -- it sounds like he's a repeat offender who always gets released by a very lax on crime system and now an innocent girl is dead.
the details are coming out. it is sounding worse not better.
it is sad the media attempts to hide details, i dont think that fools the public one bit.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the details are coming out. it is sounding worse not better.
it is sad the media attempts to hide details, i dont think that fools the public one bit.
Referring to the comments that some on other boards made that Lily wasn't such the "angel" that she's being depicted as? That it was a "Traffic" type situation and that's why she didn't resist, crash the car, or run out when she had a chance? Haven't heard the proof yet so I don't buy it. And even if that was true (which it probably is not) it still would not justify being murdered.

If I were LAPD I'd look into the killing of the girl in the Valley and other unsolved murders of young women and see if Samuels' prints match, he could very well be a serial killer...

Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 PM

804 posts, read 2,164,035 times
Was this thread made to make LA look bad?

Last edited by Hollywood Inquirer; 07-29-2009 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California