U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 12:58 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times

Advertisements

The truck runs sweet and people often comment on how nice it is and sounds... all stock from carb, cam to exhaust.

My big issue is the rules change after the fact.

When I bought the truck which was a huge outlay for me at the time that was only the beginning...

I put almost as much in it setting it up as a service van... air compressor, racks, shelves, 120 power, heavy towing upgrades, etc...

I did this knowing it would be fall off smog check at age 25... then it was age 30 and Senator Kopp told me to my face the 30 year exemption would be it... he was head of the transportation department... well, we then know it was frozen at 1976 and newer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 05:53 PM

18,380 posts, read 20,110,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
All of California requires smog tests. If I may ask, how were you 'burned'? I've done smog tests and my dad has been a certified tech for 25+ years so I have a bit of experience here.
Christ. No not ALL of California requires smog checks

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:
El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma. For example my uncle lives in Coacella valley. He does not have to smog his vehicle where he lives.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:23 PM

Biannual requirement or not and then even the type of testing required varies.

For some it may be never for as long as they own it if they bought it new and it is not in a biannual region.

Then there is the Gold Star type testing or not.

It does get complicated and each visit is a gamble... especially when driveability, etc is excellent.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:40 PM

30,998 posts, read 13,564,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Christ. No not ALL of California requires smog checks

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:
El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma. For example my uncle lives in Coacella valley. He does not have to smog his vehicle where he lives.
Not all counties require biennial smog checks but all counties require a smog check upon initial registration in the county. If you move to a county with a car already registered in another county you do not need a smog check. Only bringing in a car from another state or transferring ownership would trigger the requirement for a smog check in those counties.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:44 PM

6,000 posts, read 6,845,055 times
Another reason CA sucks. I have a 1980 truck from FL with no smog, just a carb. When I brought it to Commiefornia 30 years ago I couldn't even register it. Had to title in AZ.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:41 AM

1,849 posts, read 2,123,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Another reason CA sucks. I have a 1980 truck from FL with no smog, just a carb. When I brought it to Commiefornia 30 years ago I couldn't even register it. Had to title in AZ.
Don't you live out of state? Why do you care?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 6,539 times
I'm wondering if there is an option for me!
I work in North Dakota & California doing construction work. To obay the law, Do I have to buy California's licence plates every time I work in California?

Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 PM

Not offering legal advice but which State do you claim residency?

Residency is what the State is looking for.

For some it is as simple as being able to document less than 6 months each year in California...

Old 09-08-2017, 12:16 AM

Last I knew (7years ago), California has a zero tolerance! Anytime I work inside California, my vehicle had to have California plates.
I was asking & hoping that changed.
North Dakota is easier to work with as they give people a 4 month time limit. And I never use my vehicle in the work I do. Only to get to&from work.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 PM

Nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California