U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM

8,331 posts, read 10,509,655 times

Advertisements

What counties in ca do not require a smog check (theres a few) & if i get a post office box in one of those counties & register my 85 olds with that post office box will the dmv know what im up to ? Also does the no smog counties charge a abatement fee on the old cars or just newer ones ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,797,168 times
I'm not aware of any that don't require smog checks. I'm fairly rural and they are required for change of ownership, the one time here.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM

I have had my olds for 13 yrs but its been on a non op for 6 yrs. I doubt it if ill pass smog. Smog repair stations rip you off big time. I DONT trust them. I have been burned 2xs & only go to test only on my other old car which has always passed. If i can avoid a smog test all together without registering my car out of state i surely will.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 PM

19,127 posts, read 15,138,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I have had my olds for 13 yrs but its been on a non op for 6 yrs. I doubt it if ill pass smog. Smog repair stations rip you off big time. I DONT trust them. I have been burned 2xs & only go to test only on my other old car which has always passed. If i can avoid a smog test all together without registering my car out of state i surely will.
All of California requires smog tests. If I may ask, how were you 'burned'? I've done smog tests and my dad has been a certified tech for 25+ years so I have a bit of experience here.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
All of California requires smog tests. If I may ask, how were you 'burned'? I've done smog tests and my dad has been a certified tech for 25+ years so I have a bit of experience here.
I went to a smog repair station in Bloomington,ca & they said my car wont pass smog & i need to have the system checked for $45.00. I said ok & low & behold i passed smog without any repairs. The only problem was another smog repair station failed me the day before & didnt tell me they sent the info to sacramento. This was in the late 90,s. So then i made a appt at a state referee station & i passed with no problems. I havent been to a smog repair station in over 10 yrs.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM

9,211 posts, read 12,366,786 times
I've heard Lassen County doesn't require smog checks.

If I'm wrong, somebody please debunk me.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 8,070,661 times
Quote:
What counties in ca do not require a smog check (theres a few) & if i get a post office box in one of those counties & register my 85 olds with that post office box will the dmv know what im up to ? Also does the no smog counties charge a abatement fee on the old cars or just newer ones ?
yeah but don't you need a home address as well to for the dmv?
maybe not but i thought so.
but you do need a home address with proof to get a p.o. box.
as somewhat of a transient, this i know ... at least here in s.c. county.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I've heard Lassen County doesn't require smog checks.

If I'm wrong, somebody please debunk me.
Thats in the north east part of ca. I was hoping for something closer in so.ca. Anyways...it seems to be quite a hassle. Had the dmv not changed the law this year it would of been easier. I cant get a free 60 day moving permit thanks to all the abusers. Now its a $50.00 fee & only good from the date your tags are due. So if my tags exp 8-1-09 then the permit would be good from 8-2-09 to 1o-2-09. Not a day longer & not before 8-1-09. Damn...i hate the legislature, govenor & the dmv.

Last edited by steel7; 07-30-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 PM

19,127 posts, read 15,138,895 times
Quote:
I went to a smog repair station in Bloomington,ca & they said my car wont pass smog & i need to have the system checked for $45.00. I said ok & low & behold i passed smog without any repairs. The only problem was another smog repair station failed me the day before & didnt tell me they sent the info to sacramento. This was in the late 90,s. So then i made a appt at a state referee station & i passed with no problems. I havent been to a smog repair station in over 10 yrs.
Of a car fails smog they are REQUIRED by law to send the info into Sacramento. They do not have to inform the owner of the vehicle beforehand and the computer in most circumstances sends it automatically before the smog check is completed. This prevents bribes for the most part. If you did a pre-smog check, it's very superficial and many cars fail the presmog that eventually pass the real one. The pre check is usually free, but the actual check (with or without repairs) will cost money.

Did you go to a 'rocket smog' or some small smog station? Those places don't have a great reputation.... Always get your car smogged by an ASE certified mechanic and ask for ID before they touch your car. Don't go to those Jiffy Lube type smog places.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:46 PM

7,405 posts, read 11,982,778 times
The smog machines in every smog station in California are connected directly to Sacramento. Every night at midnight, the Sacramento computers suck all of the information out of every smog station in California, and they have checks and fail safes to make sure the stations aren't cheating the consumers, and they also check to make sure the consumer isn't playing games with the smog stations.
The system is way to smart to be outsmarted by a few scofflaws. Play all the games you wish, you will lose..!
The best way to beat the system is to do everything correct and legal, and they will never catch you..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California