U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,077,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Most of California's population growth is coming from births, not in-migration. And a disproportionate number of those births are indeed coming from Latinos, who are also disproportionately poor. The yuppies who move here from other parts of the US (and the world) tend to have fewer kids. The population growth rate has slowed down considerably in recent decades. High cost of living and restrictive growth policies surely play a significant role.
The other component of natural growth is the fact that Chinese and Indian immigrants, usually advance degreed and professional, have lots of bambinos. It will be interesting to see where all those bambinos end up - will they cling to family or bail, once they reach their 30s or 40s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,821,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are also artificial constraints on the supply, mainly in the form of draconian zoning and planning rules, and, the world's strictest environmental laws. Lots of land is tied up in open space, easements and Coastal Commission exclusion zones. Add to these factors the unwillingness to build out the road / water delivery / power delivery infrastructure. It's an existing homeowners' (especially those who bought 20 or 30 years ago) dream and the prospective or starter homeowners' nightmare.

In his treatise "The Quest for Cosmic Justice" Thomas Sowell specifically alludes to the Bay Area and its artificially scarce residential real estate as an example.
True, you can thank the environmental Wack Jobs and PETA psycho's for that.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:16 PM

35 posts, read 159,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We left Ca many years ago but visit at least once a year. We could have moved back at the time we choose not to, but couldn't now. Of course cost of property is one reason we couldn't but we wouldn't want to either. I miss things about Ca, it has a lot to offer, but it has more negatives for us than positives. Again, our opinion only. We hate the traffic even in No Ca, we have found most things more expensive (not everything) the crime rate is higher than other places we have lived and the hussle bussle is exhausting. The problems with illegals doesn't add to the charm of the state, again, more in So California. Last but not least for us, liberalism. For some this is a reason to stay or move to the state, for us it is a reason not to return except for visits.

Nita
Ya, California wouldn't be #1 on your list of best states if you're not a fan of liberalism.

Sounds like you've weighed everything, Nita, and are making the decision that is best for you. Like any state, CA has it's positives and negatives. At the end of the day you have to decide what is important to you, and whether or not the positives outweigh the negatives. I agree with you, though, that the state does have a lot to offer.

Kali

Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM

71,724 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalika View Post
Ya, California wouldn't be #1 on your list of best states if you're not a fan of liberalism.

Sounds like you've weighed everything, Nita, and are making the decision that is best for you. Like any state, CA has it's positives and negatives. At the end of the day you have to decide what is important to you, and whether or not the positives outweigh the negatives. I agree with you, though, that the state does have a lot to offer.

Kali
It does, I can't think of a single state that doesn't offer something for someone. In my life (some when I was just a kid and dad was in the Navy and a couple while in college) I have lived in 8 states. I would have to say the last 4 would be my top choices and a couple I really don't remember. I would like to think everyone could live in the state of their choice, but we all know this isn't always possible.

Nita

Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,401,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Ghetto birds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
^^ I don't get it either...
Police helicopters flying around at low altitudes at night with their spotlight on and sometimes a PA system warning a neighborhood of trouble.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,570,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Police helicopters flying around at low altitudes at night with their spotlight on and sometimes a PA system warning a neighborhood of trouble.

Thank you! I had No Idea, but then I don't get out much....

That sort of thing certainly doesn't occur where I live.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,401,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Thank you! I had No Idea, but then I don't get out much....

That sort of thing certainly doesn't occur where I live.
And thank you! It doesn't occur where we just purchased a home, either. Of course, it's 2,000 miles east of Sacramento.

You live in a lovely part of the state where we visited every so often.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,322,079 times
Quote:
And thank you! It doesn't occur where we just purchased a home, either. Of course, it's 2,000 miles east of Sacramento.

You live in a lovely part of the state where we visited every so often.
Hey Curmudgeon,

It sounds like you guys found a place in the Ozarks. Have you moved in yet?

Derek

Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,899,128 times
Quote:
And sadly they're not just for the ghetto. I live in a fairly nice city and that damn thing flies right over my apartment all the freaking time. The city must have an unlimited supply of free jet fuel or something.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM

35 posts, read 159,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And sadly they're not just for the ghetto. I live in a fairly nice city and that damn thing flies right over my apartment all the freaking time. The city must have an unlimited supply of free jet fuel or something.
Dude, I used to think the same thing. Those suckers used to fly above my apartment in the mid-Wilshire area all the time. I remember countless nights lying in bed thinking "They're gonna have to refuel soon...the noise will end." But they damn machines fly for hours. When I moved to Santa Monica, I thought it would end, but no. Guess it goes with the territory living in L.A.

Kali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or