U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:58 PM

45 posts, read 75,172 times
Still having trouble finding info on apartments, I'm considered about the price per month. I don't need a huge place. Does anyone know what a one bedroom would run per month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 PM

830 posts, read 1,438,885 times
Quote:
The problem is, I wonder if anyone in Lone Pine has ever heard of City Data.

Hey!

Just kidding. My fault for not noticing the thread.

We do have the internet though. Actually we probably use it more than most people... you have to! Online shopping, for one, cuz you won't find much shopping in town.

What others have said is about right. It's small and remote, but if you like the outdoors you'll probably love it. There's a huge hiking/outdoors culture. There's no real mall in Ridgecrest, though a few underpopulated shopping plazas. Gas isn't remarkably cheaper in Ridgecrest or Bishop right now. Kmart, JCPenney, and Vons are up in Bishop. Stater Bros, Albertsons, Walmart, Staples, Home Depot are down in Ridgecrest. Here in town it's the small grocery store, a hardware store, and a little drugstore/pharmacy. And the hospital.

I love it here. Some people don't. But I think most people who come here on purpose (because they're looking for a small place with hiking nearby) really do like it. It's so beautiful. You walk out of your house every day to see Mt Whitney towering over you. I can't see myself leaving any time soon.

I don't rent so I'm not very informed about costs for that, but I THINK a one bedroom would run around $500? There are a couple of apartment options but you're mostly looking at small houses for rent. There are two "neighborhoods" - one is refered to as "in town" - that's the blocks surrounding Main St/ 395 - and the "Alabamas" - that's the neighborhood up in the Alabama Hills (desert and huge boulder formations, where they filmed the Westerns). Rentals are hard to come by at times (now is one of those times). But people are coming and going all the time.

If you move here, any friends you have who are major hikers will be incredibly jealous and will beg to come visit you!

I think population is back at 2,000 right now. That's what the newish population sign coming into town says.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:28 PM

286 posts, read 316,527 times
I am in Pittsburgh now and if you look around all that you see is ugly....Lone Pine is the opposite....you must go there first...stay for awhile...I doubt that you would ever come back here.I am being positive and realistic.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM

981 posts, read 840,107 times
wait you are going from Pittsburgh to Lone Pine...how did you ever hear of that place. Lone Pine is in the middle of no-where. It is a very cute town though, nicest of the 4 owens cities(I don't count Ridgecrest as one, more of a Mojave city)

Well you are probably having a hard time finding apartments because well there aren't really any apartments there.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 PM

27 posts, read 55,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
I am in Pittsburgh now and if you look around all that you see is ugly....Lone Pine is the opposite....you must go there first...stay for awhile...I doubt that you would ever come back here.I am being positive and realistic.

I agree I know Pittsburgh and Lone Pine both are on different planets

Old 08-09-2011, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 709 times
Default lone pine

I like Lone Pine and bought a home there a few years ago. You have Mt. Whitney and the Alabama Hills and the Owens river and wide opens spaces, etc. If you get the job you might hit up Jenifer at Blue Sky Realty for a home to rent. She is the realtor I use and her office is just north of the hardware store on the main drag through town. The market is across the street from the hardware store to the west.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:28 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,500,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Scott View Post
If you get the job you might hit up Jenifer at Blue Sky Realty for a home to rent.
The OP is 2 years old and they have long since either found a home there or taken one elsewhere. Paging back on their posts, the OP was considering jobs in Montana and North Carolina. As a frequent traveler up 395 to Reno/Tahoe and points north, my impressions of the Owens Valley towns has been pretty favorable. For those enjoying abundant outdoor recreation and not minding a bit of isolation, they would not be a bad choice to call home.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:29 PM

2,599 posts, read 1,567,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post

Lone Pine must be 40 or so miles south of Bishop-the closest town that resembles a "city"; though I think it has only about 4,000 residents. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of outdoorsy activities in the area-hiking, hunting, fishing. The aforementioned Sierra's are quite near. There are several smaller mountain ranges in the vicinity as well. Death Valley is about an hour east. Las Vegas must be three or three and a half hours east. Reno is probably 4 or 4.5 hours north. Can't remember how far it was to teh Victorville area to the south-but it's a fair drive. And, that's the trouble with Lone Pine, I would think, the remoteness. Not everybody's cup of tea.

Oh, there's also a museum that's dedicated to the old western movies that were filmed in the nearby Alabama Hills; essentially foothills of the Sierras. I've not visited the museum, but would love to next time I'm there.

Speaking of museums, there is also the site of the Manzanar Relocation camp where they forcibly put Japanese-Americans during WWII.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 628 times
I recently moved to Lone Pine.The store here is small and does have higher prices.We shop in Ridgecrest or the smart and final in bishop. The town is beautiful, the outdoor activites include fishing,hiking,camping,and just enjoying the convenient small town life. The resturants are few, pricey, but good.At least the ones I have eaten at have been good so far. The town can easily be walked from one end to another. If you are from a smaller town than this, then it is a great place to live.If you are used to city life, you might not like it here.Hope this helped.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:45 PM

7,778 posts, read 8,962,532 times
The Eastern Sierra / Owens Valley / Carson Valley, etc, are a magical part of the world. I love US-395.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California