Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:26 AM

45 posts, read 127,944 times

Advertisements

Hello to all. I am an RN and recently put in for a job in the Lone Pine area. I am currently living and working in Pittsburgh, PA and have never been to California. I'm an outdoorsy type person and not into "nightlife" so it seems like it would be a good fit for me. I was just looking for any information on the area at all. It is tough to find out much on the net so I figured first hand knowledge might be better. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBlonde View Post
Hello to all. I am an RN and recently put in for a job in the Lone Pine area. I am currently living and working in Pittsburgh, PA and have never been to California. I'm an outdoorsy type person and not into "nightlife" so it seems like it would be a good fit for me. I was just looking for any information on the area at all. It is tough to find out much on the net so I figured first hand knowledge might be better. Thanks

There is lots of information on the internet about Lone Pine.

What is it that you want to know that isn't on the internet?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,555 times
There is a recent thread about Lone Pine and the Owens Valley with good info.Just look down this page a bit;it is still on page one as of Thursday AM.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:44 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There is lots of information on the internet about Lone Pine.

What is it that you want to know that isn't on the internet?
How many pines are there in town???????

Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,091 times
Default Small and isolated

My wife and mother-in-law and I spent the night there in early May this year. We were on our way to visit Death Valley. Lone Pine is on the east side of the Sierra Nevada, immediately east of Mt. Whitney, the highest point in the "lower 48" states. It's in Inyo County, and quite isolated. Population is probably less than 2,000. But, it seems much larger than that-probably due to the tourist industry. Quite a number of motels, a couple of decent restaurants. In fact, we had dinner at a steakhouse that was just outstanding. Can't think of the name of it, but it shouldn't be hard to identify. Its on the east side of Main Street (Hwy. 395) and near the center of town.

Lone Pine must be 40 or so miles south of Bishop-the closest town that resembles a "city"; though I think it has only about 4,000 residents. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of outdoorsy activities in the area-hiking, hunting, fishing. The aforementioned Sierra's are quite near. There are several smaller mountain ranges in the vicinity as well. Death Valley is about an hour east. Las Vegas must be three or three and a half hours east. Reno is probably 4 or 4.5 hours north. Can't remember how far it was to teh Victorville area to the south-but it's a fair drive. And, that's the trouble with Lone Pine, I would think, the remoteness. Not everybody's cup of tea.

Oh, there's also a museum that's dedicated to the old western movies that were filmed in the nearby Alabama Hills; essentially foothills of the Sierras. I've not visited the museum, but would love to next time I'm there.

Personally, I think the town has real charm. I happen to hail from a rural area as well. But be advised, I've only visited for short periods and have never lived there. If you like the out of doors, can manage to entertain yourself, don't need the cultural stimulation of a metropolitan area, and understand that California is not all freeways, beaches and palm trees; it includes quite rural regions like the eastern Sierra, then Lone Pine might be a good fit for you.

Good luck. Oh, if you move there and hate it, forget I offered any positive recommendation.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:32 AM

45 posts, read 127,944 times
Thanks everyone, I have been able to find lots of tourist info on Lone Pine. I was looking more for living information such as aparatments in the area, grocery store proximity etc. Still haven't heard if I got the job, have my fingers crossed though. It seems like the exact kind of place I'm looking for.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,625,744 times
The town is small....it can't possibly be far from what ever grocery store is available in town....and like the other person said...Bishop is the closest decent size and has a real grocery store and I think a Kmart. Other than that the closest real cities(100,000+ population) are Lancaster/Palmdale and Bakersfield.

From Lone Pine to Bishop is 58 miles
From Lone Pine to Lancaster is 140 miles
From Lone Pine to Bakersfield is 168 miles
From Lone Pine to Las Vegas is 232 miles

The town of Ridgecrest is ~80 miles away and according to wikipedia has a population of around 30,000 and a shopping mall. I'm not familiar with Ridgecrest at all.

Not sure about rentals but there is probably a guest house or something or other available. I could not find any listings and could only find one real estate agent. You may want to check out Lone Pine's web page and shoot someone there an email informing of your situation.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBlonde View Post
I was looking more for living information such as aparatments in the area, grocery store proximity etc.
Supermarkets locations are online. (Google Maps)

City Data is great for getting comments on neighborhoods and apartments in them. The problem is, I wonder if anyone in Lone Pine has ever heard of City Data.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:22 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
Bishop and check out the want ads for apartment info.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,952 times
I use live in lone pine in 1974. THERE only one food store in town. lone pine 2200 in 1974 its now only 1600. Theprices at the store is very high . IF i lived there again Iwould do most of my shoping ridgecrest . ITS very nice town out in the dessert. Its about 80 miles away. I WOULD GO SHOPING once or twice a month there. FILL up car with gas there because its cheaper there.ITS PROBALY A lot cheaper then bishop.I LOve the senery there its really out standing. the summer are hot. its about 97-60.In winter its 53-25. THE weather is very dry. only about 3-7 inches fall there in a year You get little snow in the winter. A LOT snow in the mountains IM sure can fine house or apartment in lone pine. W hitney portal is alot great place to relax and fish .ITS LOT COOLER there in the summer nice place to cool off. tHE ROAD is close in the winter do to snow thy do not plow the road in the winter. I hope and pray you will like it . MY NAME IA PATRICK KLEIN IVE in bend oregon now .IM going thru lone pine september 1 ON my way too lancaster ca Too see are family for vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California