Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

I thought I was antisocial (and I am), however, you make me look like a social butterfly. Is there any reason you're not renting a detached SFR?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:36 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I like my privacy. When I had an apartment I kept the windows covered with blackout blinds (as I do in my house) but a lot of that was for heat control as I faced the sun all day too. But I left my door open from the time it started to cool off to when I had to close it because I went to sleep. I got used to it. As soon as the repairs to the door frame on this house (real amature job) is done I'll have my screen doors on and as soon as its cool enough the doors will be open and the ac off. I had what claimed to be ac in California, in Riverside, but it never reached beyond some six feet.

Whats been described sounds to me like apartment life. People LIKE to get out of their little boxes and unlike a suburb you can't hide in your house. I was nice to people, had a few I'd come over and visit with and sit outside with, but basically are also a very private person. The people who had fights everyone could hear annoyed me. The physical lack of space between me and the neighbors bothered me a lot, and I didn't like living there. But I didn't blame the people. I "owned" the space up to my door. Just as they did theirs. Outside that was everyones. If people like sitting outside and if they like talking on the phone outside its part of shared space. I'm not sure how it can be called "lower class".

Didn't like my apartment and am glad to be in a house, even if it is small and in a distant state. I have a lot of green (agressively so lol) space between me and the neighbors. But they do sit outside and talk and enjoy the nice weather. And they are friendly. If you want to be left alone they will but even in a house people still spend time outside.

It sounds like the op needs a place where people go home and shut the door with either space or great insulation between them. Or needs to get used to it that people generally are not like her and do like to commune with each other in public spaces. I know I'm not your "normal" and do keep to myself, but realize that you only own so much space and beyond that your only control is to choose not to be there. Anywhere you go the same thing will happen and people will be people.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
"I'm not the type of female that's scared of anyone or anything"...

"I would be this vigilant even if I lived in a very upscale place because you can get killed anywhere"...

Which is it? You sound extremely scared to me.

I don't particularly enjoy hearing entire conversations of neighbors either, but I've found that a well-placed electric fan or two will drown out practically any ambient noise.

While it may be a bit tacky if the neighbors are leaving their front doors wide open, it's probably so they can get a bit of air flow and NOT so they can keep tabs on you.

Your living conditions sound modestly annoying, but keep in mind that moving can easily make them worse instead of better.

Over the years as a renter I've endured all sorts of bad neighbors. One set who would party loudly and fight every weekend, sometimes spilling beer under my front door and other times breaking things in the common area (including windows). One guy went nuts one night and starting throwing things around in his apartment, shaking the whole building. This lasted for a couple of hours until the police finally showed up to calm him down. A creepy neighbor woman once knocked on my door and wanted to talk about Jesus. Another guy used to put his loud barking dog on the balcony all night long, and also any time he was away.

This is life as a renter. Life as an owner is actually quite similar except it's much harder to move if you get bad neighbors, and they can ruin your property values.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:45 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Someone from that apartment or one of their guests whistled at me at two separate occasions as I walked out of my house. That is considered "low-class" behavior to whistle at a woman. Their apartment is faced towards the walkway so when they have the door open they can see me walking towards my apartment or leaving.

Sorry but whistling at your neighbor is trashy low-class behavior. It's bordering on sexual harassment.
I've got to agree that is not a good situation and I think it is tacky. I can understand that being uncomfortable.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Someone from that apartment or one of their guests whistled at me at two separate occasions as I walked out of my house.
That's a compliment.

(What were you wearing by the way?)

Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,343 times
I can understand the whistling complaint. But everything else? Holy crap. Just move. Someone leaving their door open, low class or not, does not harm you in anyway.

Who are you to judge class anyway? I mean you live there also, obviously no better than the rest of them!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:34 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
You sound paranoid to me. I'm a single female, I lived in a detached cottage, and each one is 4ft apart from the other. I have my windows open all the time when the weather is nice, and my back door is open a crack so that my cat can come and go as he pleases. I leave my front door open since I have a screen door on it, and both the open windows and door give me air and ventilation. I barbeque next to my back door, and have a vegetable garden in the back in pots. My neighbors and I all talk to each other, and everyone else also has cats. None of us are paranoid, we're just friendly and like to get air. Who would want to be shut up all day long with closed windows and doors?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That's a compliment.

(What were you wearing by the way?)
It can be uncomfortable, especially if it is happening where you live when you are just trying to get from point A to point B. Home is where we like to feel safe.

"What were you wearing by the way?" Yeah the same type of people who think that is a compliment would be thinking that. Point made.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,494 times
"What were you wearing by the way?" Yeah the same type of people who think that is a compliment would be thinking that. Point made.[/quote]

Ha Ha so true!!!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:49 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
"I'm not the type of female that's scared of anyone or anything"...

"I would be this vigilant even if I lived in a very upscale place because you can get killed anywhere"...

Which is it? You sound extremely scared to me.
I am not "extremely scared", I don't think as a female who is under 100lbs I should open the blinds wide open so everyone can look inside and see that I live alone and see what kind of belongings I have that could be robbed. I think that is just common sense. That's not being scared, that is being smart.

Why would I advertise to the world that I live alone? It's a safety hazard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California