U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-09-2009, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,439 times
Default Where are the jobs in CA? Santa Barbara? (Exclude San Diego not an option)

Hi,
I am trying to find a city in CA to move where there are jobs and semi-affordable rent (up to 1K a month).

I lived in San Diego for many years and that is out. Not a city for me.

I am thinking Santa Barbara? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:13 AM

728 posts, read 1,100,144 times
What gave you the idea that Santa Barbara had affordable rents? They are among the highest in the state.

What size apartment are you looking for? What kind of job are you looking for?

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:13 AM

26,365 posts, read 49,372,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamno72 View Post
Hi,
I am trying to find a city in CA to move where there are jobs and semi-affordable rent (up to 1K a month).

Raytheon is hiring.

Goleta Jobs/ Santa Barbara Jobs - Raytheon Jobs - Featured Opportunities

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:32 AM

7,050 posts, read 16,851,063 times
Santa Barbara might be the least affordable city in the *country*.

Unread 08-09-2009, 09:50 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,995,072 times
You're in a conundrum. The bigger the city, the greater the chance of finding jobs--but the bigger the city, the higher rents are going to be--unless you move into a ghetto and commute.

Unread 08-09-2009, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 8,621 times
Rent in Santa Barbara is some of the highest rent in the state. A modest 1 bd apartment will run you $1500 or more. San Diego is far more affordable.

Unread 08-10-2009, 06:39 AM

11,928 posts, read 8,919,914 times
Santa Barbara is no where near some the least affordable in California,but you are unlikely to find a decent place in the $1,000 range if you up it $200~$300 you should be able to find something.

I never really liked Santa Barbara, Ventura is cheaper and has a similar feel although there are less rich people. Regardless Santa Barbara is not exactly an area that is flowing with jobs...never has been.

Unread 08-10-2009, 09:44 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,995,072 times
Santa Barbara is like an ultra-conservative Key West.

Unread 08-10-2009, 04:40 PM

2,654 posts, read 6,715,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamno72 View Post
Hi,

Santa Barbara is known as the city of $2k/mo. rents and $12/hr. jobs. What are your skills? The best thing for starters would be to register with a temp agency. They can get you work if you're not picky. It might be your in.

On the other hand, if you have professional skills and have a bent for independence, working as a consultant or freelance this-or-that might be the ticket for you. Santa Barbara can lend itself to freelance contracting and consulting work, in many cases, far more than just finding a job, where you're competing with college kids and service-sector skill-sets. Bear in mind that Santa Barbarans can be a bit provincial in that they prefer to deal with long-time locals rather than outsiders. It's not always the case, but be prepared for that. Get to know people. Santa Barbarans in many ways are accepting and friendly. Go to outings, organized hikes, local group events and then give yourself a year or so to gain the respect as a "local." There's a lot of money in SB -- and in some not-so-obvious places. Good luck!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-10-2009 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: refinement, of course!

Unread 08-24-2009, 04:31 PM

41 posts, read 85,497 times
Default Yeah, forget it.

Forget I asked a question. If I could delete this, I would. I guess no one has any good suggestions these days, just mean comments. Forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California