Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:07 AM

230 posts, read 599,485 times

Advertisements

Most of my beach experiences growing up were on the Gulf of Mexico, so naturally I freeze my ass off on California beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 AM

656 posts, read 1,309,151 times
YES!!! we actually swim at the beach! when the bacteria levels are low enough lol

Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 PM

273 posts, read 654,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
YES!!! we actually swim at the beach! when the bacteria levels are low enough lol
Yes, the water quality is very bad at times. No one seems to be immune. Laguna has had it's spills along with notoriously fouled waters like Long Beach. I was within 10 feet of the ocean yesterday and didn't even get my feet wet.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:53 AM

251 posts, read 825,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post
I grew up swimming on Cape Cod in MA. I used to be in the water for hours. Now that I am older, I find that I am so much more sensitive to the cold water.

There are some beaches on Cape Cod that are really warm (South Side of the Cape) as well as some beaches in RI. Beaches on the North Side of the Cape, and up the coast of MA are freezing! Most people seem to just stick their feet in.

I was just wondering about how warm the water got in SoCal the summer (as compared to MA - anyone have a comparison?).

A friend of mine grew up in Pismo Beach. She said the ocean was great for surfing, but not swimming, and prefers the beaches of Florida now.

Thanks for your replies.
Yes, Nauset beach gets very cold (I think 14 - 16 C), but we don't swim there for hours, we bodysurf for couple of min and getting to the shore and it's more fun than warm water of the Skaket beach

Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
Yes, the water quality is very bad at times. No one seems to be immune. Laguna has had it's spills along with notoriously fouled waters like Long Beach.
Is it really so? Which places/beaches may have bacteria? Are there postings?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 AM

101 posts, read 607,938 times
All of them in SoCal may have bacteria at different times. As said above, nowhere is immune. There are millions of people in SoCal. Where do you think all of the sewage and runoff goes? Evaporates into thin air? It is worse around the concrete rivers. Or where the pipes shoot out the sewage, though they are supposed to be far enough out for it not to matter . . . Huntington has been better the last two years. It used to have closings/postings several times a year and it is one of the biggest beaches in the state.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoazian View Post
All of them in SoCal may have bacteria at different times. As said above, nowhere is immune. There are millions of people in SoCal. Where do you think all of the sewage and runoff goes? Evaporates into thin air? It is worse around the concrete rivers. Or where the pipes shoot out the sewage, though they are supposed to be far enough out for it not to matter . . . Huntington has been better the last two years. It used to have closings/postings several times a year and it is one of the biggest beaches in the state.
And how about Northern Cali?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Heal the Bay does a good job of reporting on water pollution levels or the lack there of.

Here is the link to the data: Beach Report.

Select the area of intertest such as Los Angeles. Then zoom in to the individual beaches and reports. Next check out the Historical Data. The reason this is important is that while a beach may have an ok water report 'today' it may have had several closures or poor grades in the not too distant past. Usually grades get much worse after a rain since much of the pollution spills over into the ocean from city 'runoff.' The overall trend throughout the year is what is most important.

Derek

Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Yes, lots of people swim in the beaches in SoCal all summer till about end of Sept/mid Oct. Temps generally range from the mid 60's to the low 70's and sometimes the mid and even upper 70's. Back for a couple weeks in July many of the water temps in SoCal were in the 73-76 range. Usually there is a little chill right when you get in but after a minute or two it's great.

I was at La Jolla Shores on Saturday in SD and the water temp was 72. Most beaches are 70-72 according to reports.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:34 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
As an fyi, 72 is warm for our ocean water here, but it is still rather chilly to the average person. on the rare occasions where the water gets warmer than this, you have to watch out for jelly fish. i swim in the ocean regularly, so i prefer the water to be cooler rather than warmer because of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California